View Poll Results: Should the Diana Prince secret identity exist

Voters
93. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

37 39.78%
  • No

30 32.26%
  • Maybe

6 6.45%
  • Depends on the reason

20 21.51%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    Do you think that Hippolyta's surname is "Prince"?
    I'd be surprised if any Amazon had a surname.

I wouldn't really mind it but I also wouldn't want it to be anything official. Mayeb something she used on a mission or other rare occasion.
    I don't want to see her at the DMV taking a driver's test or anything like that.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I'd be surprised if any Amazon had a surname.
    I would be too, and if they did then I assume they would be less traditional and more like Demi Bloodgargler, Nessa Ballcrusher or Mala WhentheheckwsIlastseeninthecomic.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 12-27-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Language please

To me the only way any amazons as a surname if she was originally from the man's world and kept her name. Technically Greek and Romans did have a identity cards but since the island pretty small no need. I always wondered what would happen if P.I was more the size of Japan then they would mostly need to keep up with the number of people.

BANNED

I would be too, and if they did then I assume they would be less traditional and more like Demi Bloodgargler, Nessa Ballcrusher or Mala WhenthefuckwsIlastseeninthecomic.
    True, but I guess any additional names would either be titles awarded for any heroic deeds they may have performed or earned some kind of renown for.

Alternatively they could be named after their mother like Scandinavians did, so Diana would be; Diana Hippolytasdaughter or something like it.

Veteran Member

Prince could just be her title, right? Being an all-female society, they don't really need a word for the son of a monarch, so "prince" has become almost interchangeable with "princess," except it's used in different contexts and placed after the name.

... Mala WhentheheckwsIlastseeninthecomic.
    lol - I love this one. Except, wouldn't nearly every Amazon then have the same last name.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Prince could just be her title, right? Being an all-female society, they don't really need a word for the son of a monarch, so "prince" has become almost interchangeable with "princess," except it's used in different contexts and placed after the name.
    "+" points for creativity, but "-" points for believability (imo). Maybe it's just me (and my habit of disagreeing with you on impulse ), but I really don't see the Amazons (esp. the current version) adopting the male form of the word just because the word isn't needed in their society. I'd wager they would much prefer to get rid of the male form and celebrate the female (in more ways than one ).
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 12-27-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Language, please
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

well, I don't know if they do but I was thinking what if the amazons lived in tribes and each tribe as a different name based on the leader of the tribes noble deed.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Doen't work, because Hippolyta isn't called Hippolyta King.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Surnames didn't exist but people of higher ranks would have nicknames.

The ancient Greeks didn't use surnames.

Kings and intellectual figures such as philosophers, often acquired nicknames (King Antigonos Monophthalmos, the ‘One Eyed’, Dio Chrysostom, the ‘golden mouthed’ i.e. eloquent)

An ancient Greek name was often followed by a patronymic (their father's name). Alcibiades Kleiniou - Alcibiades, son of Kleinias

When they traveled to other cities, ancient Greeks were also known by their place of origin: Pythagoras of Samos, for example.

Could the amazons go by the goddess alias or the noble deeds they have done
    Last edited by UsagiTsukino; 12-27-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    When they traveled to other cities, ancient Greeks were also known by their place of origin: Pythagoras of Samos, for example.
    And yet you oppose Diana of Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    And yet you oppose Diana of Themyscira.
    I changed my mind. I looked for people that had the last name of where they are from and remember Sarah, Duchess of York and Diana, Princess of Wales but many of them are titles and not surnames .

So Diana can go by Diana of Themyscira but what about the other amazons and Hippoltya. Diana is the only one called Diana of Themyscira. That why I think if the island was big enough the amazons lived in tribes and go by the tribes name.
    Last edited by UsagiTsukino; 12-27-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    I changed my mind. I looked for people that had the last name of where they are from and remember Sarah, Duchess of York and Diana, Princess of Wales but many of them are titles and not surnames .

So Diana can go by Diana of Themyscira but what about the other amazons and Hippoltya. Diana is the only one called Diana of Themyscira. That why I think if the island was big enough the amazons lived in tribes and go by the tribes name.

- They call me Eurybia of the Whistling Fangs!
    - I'm Alkestis of the Razor Claws!
    - And I am Dianthe of the Thunder Whips!
    - We are the Amazing Amazons!

Hey, I LIKE that!

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    - They call me Eurybia of the Whistling Fangs!
    - I'm Alkestis of the Razor Claws!
    - And I am Dianthe of the Thunder Whips!
    - We are the Amazing Amazons!

Hey, I LIKE that!
    Glad you do. Well sense the next thing I was going to write would be different version of the amazons and not the amazons in Previous years or the current, more of my version.

In terms of id for Diana a state id in the man's world and maybe a few others but not a drivers id but it would be funny to see her drive but if you can fly a plane than you can drive a car right?

Gone

if you can fly a plane than you can drive a car right?
    Different beasts altogether.
    Also, we don't know if Diana has an invisible plane in this new iteration.