View Poll Results: Should the Diana Prince secret identity exist

Voters
93. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

37 39.78%
  • No

30 32.26%
  • Maybe

6 6.45%
  • Depends on the reason

20 21.51%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    To SLVN:

I think this is a case of giving people perhaps a little more credit than they deserve.

And I'm being lenient with my opinion because of something that happened to me personally. I went to a restaurant with a couple of friends wearing a Marlins shirt, and the manager (without confirming) came up to me and handed me his card and offered all sorts of goodies on future visits thinking I was a baseball player from that team. I don't really follow baseball, so I guess I must look like one of the Marlins baseball players. That, combined with the shirt, created the scenario. I didn't want to make him feel bad, so I did not deny it and certainly I didn't go back with my Marlins shirt to cash-in on the gracious offers.

Now, if she's going to pay taxes, and receive all kinds of job-benefits from a Diana Prince (or Marinka Smith or whatever) identity there are all kinds of legal and/or moral issues involved. But that, would be reading too much into it if you ask me. I'd extend my suspension of disbelief just that much farther. Not something others around here (and elsewhere) may do.
    But if a Marlin wanted to go around incognito, he wouldn't wear that shirt, right? Of course, the opposite could have happened and the manager could have thought it was just some guy wearing the shirt. But if the Marlin wants to discourage people from recognizing him, he's not going to take the chance of wearing shirt, just as Wonder Woman's wouldn't--if she were seriously concerned about being recognized--take the chance of openly wearing the bracers, choker, tiara/"headband," or armband.

Again, I like that in her own book she's comfortable going out without wearing her full superhero outfit but also without being concerned enough about disguise to bother taking her insignia off. She is who she is, and she's neither flaunting it nor really, systematically, hiding it. But like I said, I don't think it would necessarily be wrong of Diana to assume a secret identity (especially if she doesn't purchase someone else's nursing license and military commission, as she did in Marston's run). It's just that Diana with the secret ID has been done, doesn't seem as interesting anymore, and doesn't seem to be as indiepnsable a part of her brand as Clark is of Superman's, so I'd just as soon have the books do without it.

To me, she had a secret identity or some such when she was on Paradise Island. That's the woman Steve fell in love with. Then she became Wonder Woman and instead of him dating Diana of Paradise Island, he was dating Wonder Woman. Its no wonder the relationship didn't last. She changed even if she thinks she's the same she always was. But the woman that left her home for Steve suddenly seems to have broke up with him because of who she was. As if who she was before was dangerous to him or something. Its when she became someone else that he became in danger. That's why I think she needs the secret identity as much as any hero. They don't only use them to lie to those they love but to protect them also.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkieGal View Post
    The sad fact if that's how you see the creator of Wonder Woman, the you probably never liked the character at all. It's one then to sit and judge ones character, stated so bluntly. Just because of his flaw as a human being that gives us the the right to change whatever he did? This is a tough crowd indeed, let me go find a more OBJECTIVE Thread.
    What the hell are you talking about? Are you honestly telling me you'd prefer to have this Wonder Woman book replaced by one where she runs around Paradise Island tying up women all day? A book that is literally all about submission and bondage? It's utterly ridiculous.

Marston's long gone. He died over 60 years ago. His exact version of Wonder Woman is also long gone. Hell, it went away not long after he died - her superpowers were never blessings of the gods originally. That came later when they revamped her for the Silver Age, and did away with her original World War 2 focus.
    ಠ_ಠ

deleted. 10 char
    Last edited by Zagreus; 12-23-2012 at 04:02 PM.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Are you honestly telling me you'd prefer to have this Wonder Woman book replaced by one where she runs around Paradise Island tying up women all day? A book that is literally all about submission and bondage? It's utterly ridiculous.
    Hmmmmm.

Why?
    Irene Adler: I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.
    Sherlock: Ive never begged for mercy in my life.
    Irene: Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Hmmmmm.

Why?
    Well some can't even conceive of her having sex and you think S&M will be easier for them to accept?

I say sure, why not? I am sure she doesnt want to be WW 24/7 and might want to have a little time to herself, walk around in public, just go about her day without being bothered. She is a celeberity, they use secret alias all the time. Not as if she is hurting anyone.

BANNED

Reminds me of the JLU episode 'Hawk & Dove' where Diana got really upset about a bunch of bank robbers almost ran her over on her day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I say sure, why not? I am sure she doesnt want to be WW 24/7 and might want to have a little time to herself, walk around in public, just go about her day without being bothered. She is a celeberity, they use secret alias all the time. Not as if she is hurting anyone.
    I agree. I think it would be ridiculous if she walked around all day, every day, wearing her Wonder Woman uniform even for going out shopping. I also find it a bit off-putting with the idea of wearing the uniform underneath regular clothes when she's not. Do any other superheroes aside from Superman still do this?

a) Just exactly how many uniforms does she have?

b) Must be uncomfortable as hell. I live in a warm climate, so I don't have to "layer" my clothes, but when I travel in Winter I know I hate the feel of wearing clothes underneath clothes underneath clothes!

If she's going to wear them, I understand wearing the bracelets because they offer protection.. but WW hasn't been a bank-robbery superheroine for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post

Marston's long gone. He died over 60 years ago. His exact version of Wonder Woman is also long gone. Hell, it went away not long after he died - her superpowers were never blessings of the gods originally. That came later when they revamped her for the Silver Age, and did away with her original World War 2 focus.
    (Damn internet ate my post lol)

If your going to act like Martson never existed fine, I'm pointing out "He Created the character." Now if your saying it's OK to strip him of this well then...I rest my case. Have a good day.
    Last edited by TrekkieGal; 12-24-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Internet Hiccup

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    The thing that always bugged me about the name Diana is that its almost like Marston forgot to do his homework.
    Diana is the roman equivalent of Artemis.
    Its like how he called "Hercules" to Heracles.

(Please tell me he at least called the war god Ares instead of Mars.....)
    I thought there's a scene where Hippolyta said it herself that she will name her daughter after the moon goddess of the hunt, Diana.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewing_A23 View Post
    I thought there's a scene where Hippolyta said it herself that she will name her daughter after the moon goddess of the hunt, Diana.
    Thing is that the Goddess Diana is the Roman copy of Artemis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    I agree. I think it would be ridiculous if she walked around all day, every day, wearing her Wonder Woman uniform even for going out shopping. I also find it a bit off-putting with the idea of wearing the uniform underneath regular clothes when she's not. Do any other superheroes aside from Superman still do this?

a) Just exactly how many uniforms does she have?

b) Must be uncomfortable as hell. I live in a warm climate, so I don't have to "layer" my clothes, but when I travel in Winter I know I hate the feel of wearing clothes underneath clothes underneath clothes!

If she's going to wear them, I understand wearing the bracelets because they offer protection.. but WW hasn't been a bank-robbery superheroine for ages.
    Maybe it's made of extra-comfy material? Like a favorite pair of slippers.

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I doubt that any of us saying she doesn't need a secret ID are saying that she has to be in the Wonder-clothes all the time.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Maybe it's made of extra-comfy material? Like a favorite pair of slippers.

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I doubt that any of us saying she doesn't need a secret ID are saying that she has to be in the Wonder-clothes all the time.
    Quoted for truth.

I dont see the need for a secret identity anymore. It seems to me those days are long past and more unique story opportunities open up without the secret "Clark Kent" style ID being in the cards. But Diana doing everything, day in and day out, in her armor is just a silly idea.

Its like, the Fantastic Four dont have secret identities. But you dont see Susan Richards grocery shopping in a uniform made of unstable molecules either.

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    Quoted for truth.

I dont see the need for a secret identity anymore. It seems to me those days are long past and more unique story opportunities open up without the secret "Clark Kent" style ID being in the cards. But Diana doing everything, day in and day out, in her armor is just a silly idea.

Its like, the Fantastic Four dont have secret identities. But you dont see Susan Richards grocery shopping in a uniform made of unstable molecules either.
    I guess it would be a good idea of defining the intricacy of "Secret ID". Would this mean simply denying she's Wonder Woman if asked and she's trying to be incognito? Would it mean something deeper like actually having legally endorsed documents stating a different name, and actually paying taxes via that ID? Would it even be a psychological scenario (like Priscilla Rich) where she didn't even know she was ALSO the Cheetah until the proper cues tipped her?

I'm all for incognito look. I can push my disbelief to accept a Diana Prince-like character (doesn't have to be that name either), but I'd draw the line at being a Psycho B**ch like P.Rich.