Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Which Christmas Cartoon Rules Supreme?

If there's one thing this time of year is famous for, it's animated television specials -- from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to "Frosty the Snowman." Which one is your favorite? Vote in SPINOFF's seasonal poll.

Full article here.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Does Nightmare Before Christmas not count?
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Charlie Brown all the way.

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

The only Christmas cartoon I watch every year is the Flintstone's Christmas episode (season 5, episode 15) where Fred takes Santa's place and delivers toys to the world's children.
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Does Nightmare Before Christmas not count?
    No, and only because they are polling Christmas specials, not Christmas movies. If the poll were to include movies, then yeah... it would DEFINITELY count.

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix View Post
    The only Christmas cartoon I watch every year is the Flintstone's Christmas episode (season 5, episode 15) where Fred takes Santa's place and delivers toys to the world's children.
    I don't recall that one. Sounds like a good one though. Brenda and I always have to watch the Peanuts christmas, and How the Grinch stole Christmas (the cartoon AND the movie).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I don't recall that one. Sounds like a good one though. Brenda and I always have to watch the Peanuts christmas, and How the Grinch stole Christmas (the cartoon AND the movie).
    The episode is called "Christmas Flintstone." It should be on Cartoon Network tomorrow or Christmas Day. so check it out if you can.
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Hmmmm.... I think the Grinch is the best (brilliant in animated and book form, natch), with Charlie Brown just behind it. As for the Rankin Bass specials, am I alone in liking Santa Claus is Coming to Town over the more popular Rudolf?

Little more obscure, but the '71 animated TV version of A Christmas Carol is incredible. Some breathtaking hand-drawn animation in there.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Charlie Brown all the way.
    The Grinch says "Bah" on Charlie Brown.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

The Boondocks: "A Huey Freeman Christmas"

The rest of that pap needs to be tossed on the Yule Log.
    "Don't Reboot The Bat!" Keep Going!
    MoS is a PoS.
    Twitter
    The Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    The Grinch says "Bah" on Charlie Brown.
    I'm one of the few who really doesn't seem to care for the Charlie Brown specials. I know the Christmas special is supposed to be uplifting, but I just find the whole Peanuts set-up to be kind of depressing. It's basically a cartoon/comic strip about how the world picks on one neurotic bald kid.

One I really like that I know isn't favored anymore is A Garfield Christmas. Despite the repetitive reputation of the comic strip, the Christmas special is actually rather good. It's worth watching just for the character of Jon's grandma alone.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

i have not seen this since i was a kid, but i always liked The Night The Animals Talked.

Charles Schulz owns this one hands down, most iconic X-mas special ever. The Chuck Jones Grinch is amazing as well, Boris Karloff is so good as the narrator. Always loved the stop motion animated Rudolph, the songs weren't bad either.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    One I really like that I know isn't favored anymore is A Garfield Christmas. Despite the repetitive reputation of the comic strip, the Christmas special is actually rather good. It's worth watching just for the character of Jon's grandma alone.
    I haven't seen that one since the '80's. Another Garfield Christmas cartoon I liked was one that happened on the Garfield Saturday morning cartoon. During a heatwave in the summer, Jon, Odie, and Garfield decorated their house for Christmas to put them in a winter-y state of mind. Eventually, it spread throughout the entire neighborhood to the point where everyone thought it was really Christmas; Santa even showed up at the end.

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    I fondly remember her spiking the chili with more hot sauce! That was a good special, they should show it more.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison