Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Arkham City Prequel - Silver Age

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/1...er-age-prequel

Variety has learned that WBIE (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) is set to introduce members of the Justice League of America in the next installment of Rocksteady's Batman series.

The entertainment trade magazine reports that the much-anticipated sequel to Arkham Asylum and Arkham City will, in fact, be a prequel centred on Batman's first meeting with his arch-nemesis The Joker. Stylistically, it will be based on the Silver Age era of DC comics (1956 to c.1970), when Batman first teamed up with other iconic DC heroes, like Superman and The Flash, establishing the Justice League of America.
    What are your views? I personally hope they take it down a horror-esque Silver Age roue rather than camp Adam West route. Rocksteady have produced good stuff so far so I'm very open minded and I appreciate they want to try something new rather than ruin a fantastic franchise...

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

I heard about this.I just hope Waners doesn't force Cyborg in it just like they did with Robot Chicken DC special.
    I feel bad about about the Arkham City fans because they have to wait 4 years for a Batman sequel

I'm sure they will keep the tone of the previous two games, and that they mean "Silver Age" only in terms of being the characters' first meetings.

I'm sure it will be fine. The last two were great. I think it would take intentional sabotage for Rocksteady to mess up a third game, being built on the lessons and successes of the first two.

I actually like this idea and am open handed on seeing it!

Its still gonna be as dark as the previous games its just dealing with a silver age story where Batman isn't as opposed to working with other people.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

Why is the Joker in this? Didn't Mark Hamill say he would be retiring from playing the Joker's voice? It would be weird using another voice actor. They might as well go with a different villain anyway, since I don't consider the Joker to be a JLA-class villain.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Why is the Joker in this? Didn't Mark Hamill say he would be retiring from playing the Joker's voice? It would be weird using another voice actor. They might as well go with a different villain anyway, since I don't consider the Joker to be a JLA-class villain.
    Why would he retired?All he has to do is show up up the recordings for 3 weeks and that's it.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I guess he could find a way around it, saying that, in his mind, Arkham City is the death of his Joker, but if they wanted him for the Rocksteady games on something before Arkham City, he can be game for it. Plus, since the JLA's supposed to play a role, I'd imagine he wouldn't figure as deeply in it as he did in City. Now, if he appeared in a SEQUEL to Arkham City, that would be weird.

As for the reveal itself...I personally would prefer seeing the sequel to City, but adding in the JLA and the different tone would make for an interesting game. I hope they approach it in that it feels like it could take place before the gritty modern-day series, and that it isn't completely campy--I'd say something like Morrison's Batman & Robin would be a perfect place to go for in terms of tone.

I honestly don't really want a sequel for City. I'm fine with that universe's Batman's story being over. Joker's dead, Strange is dead, Ra's is dead, and even Talia is dead. The End.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Why would he retired?All he has to do is show up up the recordings for 3 weeks and that's it.
    Hamill wanted his tenure as the Joker to end on a high note. Coming back for a lesser role in a prequel would seem to go against his wishes.
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/...st-joker-role/

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I honestly don't really want a sequel for City. I'm fine with that universe's Batman's story being over. Joker's dead, Strange is dead, Ra's is dead, and even Talia is dead. The End.
    Talia and Ra's are definitely not staying dead and there were way too many sequel hooks in city for them not to continue that story. This whole origin of the Justice League thing is probably just a way for other characters to be added into batman's world rather than it signifying a change in the tone of the series.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Talia and Ra's are definitely not staying dead
    Why wouldn't they? There is nothing in the game to suggest they wouldn't. You are projecting comic book expectations onto the game. The game story doesn't have to last 70 years with people endlessly coming back from the dead. Even if they could be brought back, who would do it? Whoever would have: also dead.

I forgot that characters can stay dead in video games.

Coincidentally, before I read this thread I felt like putting Arkham City into my PS3 and playing a little bit. I think they're terrific games (shocker!), and what makes them work so great is the down-to-earth feel of the game, when you take into consideration things like the environments, the gadgets, the skill sets, etc. Not exactly realistic, but it's very much in line with action video games in which the protagonists are more or humans who just happen to have exceptional skills and good tech.

I'm not really feeling this Silver Age prequel idea. I always felt games based on superheroes have to do a really successful job of making you feel like you are controlling the guy you read about in comic books, or see on TV and movies. Arkham series handled this superbly. As of today, I'm pretty skeptical they could handle a character like Superman, but who knows. I used to think Green Lantern would also be impossible, but I think a game with Scribblenauts sort of gameplay technology would work, though I don't know how well that would necessarily translate into an action game.

On the plus side, maybe that means we'll have a lot more color in this game. The current generation of T- and M-rated games these days seem to be all brown, grey, or dark blue.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Why wouldn't they? There is nothing in the game to suggest they wouldn't. You are projecting comic book expectations onto the game. The game story doesn't have to last 70 years with people endlessly coming back from the dead. Even if they could be brought back, who would do it? Whoever would have: also dead.
    Ra's is definitely alive.