Funky Lantern Corpsman

Default Rise and Fall of President Lex

I heard a lot of good things on this arc, and it sounds quite interesting - putting Superman's nemesis in a very powerful position, and examining Superman and his cast's reactions / dealing with this situation.

I do have some questions:

1. What are the *Key* issues for this storyline? AFAIK the Superman titles in the early 2000's were very inter-connected (like the mid 1990's triangle era), and I wanted just the most relevant issues to this story. I know that there is a President Lex TPB, but AFAIK it doesn't deal with his "fall from power"

2. AFAIK, Loeb was the primary writer for this arc / storyline, and I also heard that the resolution for this situation was actually in the Superman / Batman series by Loeb - Are there other, non-Super title stproes relevant to this story?

3. Any reviews / thoughts on this storyline? should I hunt down back issues for it?

Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    I heard a lot of good things on this arc, and it sounds quite interesting - putting Superman's nemesis in a very powerful position, and examining Superman and his cast's reactions / dealing with this situation.

I do have some questions:

1. What are the *Key* issues for this storyline? AFAIK the Superman titles in the early 2000's were very inter-connected (like the mid 1990's triangle era), and I wanted just the most relevant issues to this story. I know that there is a President Lex TPB, but AFAIK it doesn't deal with his "fall from power"
    Lex's fall was chronicled in "Superman/Batman: Public Enemies", which is in trade. It was written by Loeb and was the start of that series. The other relevant issues include "Our Worlds At War", where Lex was on full display as President and "Ending Battle" which was the cumulation of a story arc where Lex knew that Clark was Superman. There was also Superman #168 and Detective Comics #756, a crossover in which Batman and Lois break into the White House to retrieve the Kryptonite ring and Superman stands in their way.

2. AFAIK, Loeb was the primary writer for this arc / storyline, and I also heard that the resolution for this situation was actually in the Superman / Batman series by Loeb - Are there other, non-Super title stproes relevant to this story?
    The only one was the events of "Bruce Wayne: Murderer" and "Bruce Wayne: Fugitive" which reveals that the whole ordeal has to do with Lex. It was rumored to play a larger part in "Public Enemies", but apparently plans changed. "No Man's Land" does play a part in Lex's becoming President, as does "Superman: Endgame".

3. Any reviews / thoughts on this storyline? should I hunt down back issues for it?
    Yeah, it is worth reading about. Or you can watch the animated adaptation featuring Tim Daly, Kevin Conroy and Clancy Brown.

There is also a Secret Files President Lex issue that has important stuff in it:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=297701

Learn the behind-the-scenes events that led up to Lex Luthor winning the Presidential election. Plus, profiles on Luthor, the new LexCorp CEO Talia and Luthor's surprising Presidential Cabinet.

Isn't that in the trade, if one were to get the trade?

Funky Lantern Corpsman

I also understand the the Y2K story (vs Brainiac 13) also plays a part in Lex's road to the White House..

Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    I also understand the the Y2K story (vs Brainiac 13) also plays a part in Lex's road to the White House..
    It is. It was collected as "Endgame". The path to the White House goes like this....

-Superman #77, Lex kills Sasha Green after she embarrassed him in front of Lois and Supergirl/Matrix.

-Superman Annual #5, a "Bloodlines" and "Reign Of The Supermen" tie-in, reveals that one of the Parasite creatures from space found Sasha's body and fed off of her spinal fluid. This caused Sasha's Meta gene to kick in and she became Myriad. Lex distracts the Cyborg-Superman, Commissioner Henderson and Sasha's father so that he can get her out of Metropolis.

-Superman: The Man Of Steel #27, Lois begins investigating into the disappearance of Sasha Green after Henderson came to her for help.

-Action Comics #700, Lex is arrested for the death of Sasha Green and all other crimes committed during "The Battle For Metropolis", as well as fraud for passing himself off as his son.

-In Superman: The Man Of Tomorrow #1 and "Underworld Unleashed" #1, Lex makes a deal with Neron to regain his health as his body had been ravaged by the clone disease.

-After being a fugitive for several weeks, Lex turns himself in, in order to help restore the sun in "The Final Night" #1 and 2.

-Action Comics #737 details the trial of Lex Luthor, who reveals that the diseased Lex was a clone of him and that he was always the real Lex Luthor, who had been hidden away by Sydney Happersen, who had tried to take control of Lex's empire. That was his defense. Lex is cleared of all charges.

-JLA #10-15, Lex leads the Injustice League in a hostile takeover of the JLA. A plan which fails, but results in his being rather angry at Batman.

-Gotham City's tenure as a "No Man's Land" begins to come to an end, when Lex makes plans to rebuild Gotham. He has a hidden agenda which Bruce uncovers and stops. The city is restored and Lex is hailed as a hero.

-At close to the same time period, "Endgame" takes place as Brainiac 13 arrives from the 64th century and begins to assimilate Metropolis with B13 technology. Lex comes up with a solution that results in even greater adulation.

-Shortly after "Emperor Joker", Lex announces his bid to run for President. Because of his three publicly known deeds of selflessness, the people are willing to back him.