Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    3. Ms. Tree Quarterly #1 - 8 (DC, Summer 1990 - Summer 1992)

The series continued for another two issues as Ms. Tree Special.
    Well, I'll be. Never realized that the title changed with #9.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    She married Herb Trimpe in '72 and retired to raise their three children.
    Call me old-fashioned, but after 3 kids it was high time they got married.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

T-3... Conan the Barbarian (1997) #1 - 3

I'm not going to waste much time on this one. It's Conan's best incarnation since the B&W Magazines. Tons of action drawn in a style of late John Buscema, by Claudio Castellini. The 3rd place on my list is well deserved.

10. Reptilicus 1-2 and Reptisaurus 3-8. Joe Gill wrote some of 'em. Joe Sinnott drew some of 'em. Charlton, 1961-1963.

There was also a special produced a little after the fact.

Allow me to quote from Tony Isabella's 1000 COMIC BOOKS YOU MUST READ BEFORE YOU DIE, Re: Reptisaurus # 4.

"As titles go, "Reptisaurus meets his mate" is an alarmingly accurate description of this story: 20 pages of monsters in heat, defying military attempts to stop him and his wedding night. You can't make this stuff up. "

We're ignoring the first two relatively humorless issues that were just included for thread eligibility and concentrating on issues 3-8 of the Reptisaurus comic, here. Apparently Charlton decided the three dollars and 14 cents they were paying to licence the Danish monster movie Reptilicus was FAR too much money and changed the name.

Reptisaurus represents a particular strain of classic comic that I love - Unpretentious kid's stories hacked out for a paycheck... but is absolutely seems like everybody involved is enjoying themselves without taking the material remotely seriously. And of this particular breed of comics, Reptisaurus is my absolute favorite, for three reasonsL (1) The breathless, so-purple-they-hurt-the-eyes narrative captions "Only then did Reptisaurus give vent to his full rage, and he rose on mighty wings, his scale-studded, snake-like body glistening in the sun, intent, in his mindless rage upon wreaking revenge on something.... anything. " (2) A twisted sense of humor - It if isn't comic code defying dragon sex, it's alien invaders named "Earl" and (3) Instead of being typical for-the-time one-off stories, issues 3-8 of Reptisaurus combine to tell a single bizarre-but-strangely-sweet love story. Two giant dinos meet, fall in love, move to the tropics, have babies... And really just want to be left alone. Sadly, they are star crossed lovers and humans keep shooting at them and trying to steal their babies, leaving the Mr. and Mrs. Reptisaurus with only one option. (Hint: It doesn't involve small claims court.)

These might not be great works of art and I'd be shocked if they turned up on anybody's else's list. But they bring a goofy smile to my face every time I read 'em, which is more than I can say for WATCHMEN.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

3. Lloyd Llewellyn #1-6 (Fantagraphics, '86-'87)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2035828-01_super.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	106164

Wasn't crazy about this when it first came out (preview in L&R and issue #1), but more and more my internal psyche has begum to match LLLL's world--an eternal early 60s of beatniks and b-movies.

In the early 80s, I glommed onto Charles Burns and Xaime Hernandez, but as time passed, Dan Clowes seemed to be the cartoonist whose work most resonated with me.
    Last edited by MDG; 12-24-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    10. Reptilicus 1-2 and Reptisaurus 3-8.
    Oops. In the esteemed Cei-U!'s absence, I'm going to pretend to be him & suggest that the title change renders this one ineligible.

I summon the devil in the details!

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Oops. In the esteemed Cei-U!'s absence, I'm going to pretend to be him & suggest that the title change renders this one ineligible.
    I knew a little taste of power would go straight to your head.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Look at the man coming down and oppressing the masses.

Attica! Attica! Attica!

All I know is, it's 10:15 a.m. local time as I type this & not a soul has shown up to feed me grapes.

I am displeased.

-- Reptisaurus!

This doesn't come completely as a surprise to me. In fact, it's SO completely unsurprising that I came equipped with a counter-argument.

*Ahem*

1) The original "rules" post doesn't prohibit series w/name changes.

2) Precedent: This isn't the first title on even MY list with a name-change: Boys' Ranch went from "The Kid Cowboys of Boys' Ranch" to "Boys' Ranch featuring Clay Duncan." around issue 3.

And it ain't like it went from "Reptisaurus Man" to "A Moon.... A Girl.... Reptisaurus." It's basically the same freaking giant monster.... And I've heard it rumored (although not even close to verified) that the name change was a production accident.

I've also heard it rumored that Reptillcus means "Turd Blossom" in Danish, though. So grain of salt time.

3) The GCD and price guide indexing and such are probably against me, which is a difference between Reptil/Repti and Boys' Ranch, where the name change is generally ignored. (For no particular reason.) But I'm claiming personal authority, here. If nothing else in my life, I am one of the world's(!) leading(!) experts(!) on not-particularly good early '60s Charlton Monster comics - although not to the extent that I've suffered through any of the movies that they are based on - and should be given at least as much of a say as any schlub at Overstreet who probably don't even care if Reptisaurus finds his mate or if Gorgo and mini-Gorgo escape from the Russian subs and can't even tell you which issues of KONGA were drawn by Steve Ditko off the top of his head. And I group 'em together.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

"A Moon.... A Girl.... Reptisaurus."

I would buy this comic.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

All I know is, it's 10:15 a.m. local time as I type this & not a soul has shown up to feed me grapes.
    Don't know about the grapes, but I'm sure many of us will happily give you a raspberry.

Anyway, here's the last one on my list that hasn't been posted already:

Scream, eleven issues from Skywald, 1973-75

Skywald seems to be largely forgotten these days, but for horror comics fans of the Early Bronze Age they are a fond memory. They started in 1970 with black & white horror magazines Nightmare and Psycho, joining Warren and Fass in that market, and outliving Stanley and Web of Horror. There was a short-lived color comics line focused on westerns, but only the horror mags made money.

By 1973 original editor Sol Brodsky was gone. Brodsky was the "Sky" in Skywald; the "Wald" was Israel Waldman, who had published reprint comics under the names IW Comics and Super Comics in the 50s and 60s. The new editor was Alan Hewetson, a Canadian who had worked for a few years as Stan Lee's assistant. He brought Stan-style banter and ballyhoo along with a distinct style of horror stories. Hewetson's magazines were a lot of fun, even though you could tell he had a shoestring budget. A lot of the art came from the same Spanish studio that supplied art to Warren, but they also had some New York-based artists. Pablo Marcos and Ricardo Villamonte got their start at Skywald, and the company also published such milestones as the first professional art job by John Byrne and the last professional art job by Steve Englehart, who decided to focus on writing.

They were successful enough that a third magazine was added - Scream. Hewetson wrote all or most of every issue. The first issue, whose cover is above, features the debut of an ongoing series, Nosferatu, along with a story spoofing Robert Crumb and Jay Lynch (!) and a story featuring thinly-disguised versions of Fredric Wertham and Len Darvin (then head of the Comics Code) visiting and murdering an editor who looks exactly like Hewetson, and then being killed themselves by horror comics characters coming to life. It's as wild as it sounds. Later issues added other ongoing series, like Lady Satan and The Saga of the Victims, and adaptations of public-domain stories by Poe, Wilde, Stevenson, and Gaston Leroux (Phantom of the Opera). The stories didn't appear in Scream but Hewetson also wrote some Chthulhu Mythos stories featuring Skywald staffers fighting the Shoggoths. For 15 cents you could get a certificate entitling you to join the Skywald expedition to Antarctica to battle the Shoggoths.

The last Skywald magazine went on sale December 31, 1974 (with a 1975 date, of course). Their demise was completely unexpected; there were "coming next issue" ads in the last issue of all three magazines. I spent months searching the magazine racks at every store I could find, hoping to turn up the next issue of Nightmare, Psycho or Scream, but eventually it became clear that Skywald was gone. They aren't completely forgotten; there was a book about Hewetson and Skywald a couple of years ago, and a British publisher put out a collection of The Saga of the Victims, which included the never-before-published conclusion, which had been slated for Scream #12.
    --
    Rob Allen

Well, I'll be. Never realized that the title changed with #9.
    I'm not at home at the moment and so don't have access to my collection, but I think the Midnight back-up strip was dropped for those final two issues and the Specials just featured a book-length Ms. Tree tale.

3. Phantom Stranger #1-6 (1952)
    Is He Man... or Ghost? In either case he is my #3 pick even though he barely took an active role in his own title.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phantomstranger1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	106198

This doesn't come completely as a surprise to me. In fact, it's SO completely unsurprising that I came equipped with a counter-argument.
    I personally don't have a dog in this fight, but as the caretaker of Cei-U!'s dog, as it were, I say thee nay.

Unless he decrees otherwise, which certainly would be cool by me (for one thing, it would've allowed me to include Total War/MARS Patrol Total War), but based on previous experience I really don't expect it.

Wait till your CCC organizer gets home!

-- Reptisaurus!