BANNED

Default Wars and campaigns that were largely ignored by FPS's...

Anybody else is sick and tired of Call of Duty and other fPS's always doing the same thing. I mean how many times did we play the Battle of Stalingrad in COD. We could actually set COD in WW1 for example and it could be fun because automatic weapons did show up in WW 1 so it would not be just you shooting a rifle. There was a lot more sides clashing in WW2 the Germans vs Brits/US and Germans vs Russians. It would be awesome if Medal of honor or COD would do a Finnish campaign for once. Also the japanese and the Soviet Union did fight for Manchuria in 1945. I really wish Sniper Elite 2 would had happened in Manchuria or you would finish a Soviet Campaign there instead of always in Berlin. The british invasion of Madagascar against the French would be really interesting or something happeneing in Burma. Playing US special forces training and fighting with the taliban. They could make it work, just the main character and arab-amaerican and it's not like the mudjahedin carried id with them. I would love to play a soilder in the Iraq Iran War. I would love a good FPS in WW2 where you play someone form the FFL. It would certainly have a unique considering feel the unique nature of the Legion. At one point legionares were face tof ace with each other one unit on the side of the Vichy, the ohter on the side of the Free French.

Is EA insisting on people always making games in the most familiar setting? Woud't something with COD stamped on it sell even if you would not have to go back to the same battles? Which campaings and wars would you like to play in?
    Drago-Kazov is offline Reply With Quote

They did, they went to wars that don't exsist for the last few games in call of duty and in battlefield.

BANNED

I know, but i still think a Manchurian Campaign would be awesome.

There is sometimes some reasons why a specific war is ignored.

The Korean/Japan relationship for example is an extremely delicate subject so nobody even try to make games about their conflicts. There is some stuff about the Spanish civil war but here also, people aren't all that ready to see games about that.

Another factor is who is making the game and for who. A game about rivals cities during the Italian renaissance could be really damn interesting for example, i would buy it, but who is the targeted audience ?

Most games are made in the states, in Japan and in eastern Europe/Russia. (those guys are quite good actually for strategy games)

For people living of course in those countries, in the rest of Europe and some other countries like Australia or else. Most of those people don't give a damn about Italian Renaissance.

Sad but true. The market isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Olvia View Post
    There is sometimes some reasons why a specific war is ignored.

The Korean/Japan relationship for example is an extremely delicate subject so nobody even try to make games about their conflicts. There is some stuff about the Spanish civil war but here also, people aren't all that ready to see games about that.

Another factor is who is making the game and for who. A game about rivals cities during the Italian renaissance could be really damn interesting for example, i would buy it, but who is the targeted audience ?

Most games are made in the states, in Japan and in eastern Europe/Russia. (those guys are quite good actually for strategy games)

For people living of course in those countries, in the rest of Europe and some other countries like Australia or else. Most of those people don't give a damn about Italian Renaissance.

Sad but true. The market isn't there.
    Pretty spot on.
    In strategy games, pc games at least, there are european developers.
    Japan being the other big market doesn't buy or make FPS games.
    So you are really left with the giant american companies making your games, for the american audience.

I don't know if i agree with you that a great game based on a less traveled, and foreign, topic wouldn't do well, as im still of the belief a good game will sell reguardless of subject matter.

I mean, i've seen weirder things, friggen Demon Souls became a hit, and i never would have pegged that.

BANNED

I don't see why do you have to finish the COD russian campain every time in Berlin, why not in Manchuria.

Vietnam was incredibly divisive, yet we got games about that war. I think it's simple lazyness and playing it safe.
    Last edited by Shikidum; 12-22-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Even the all mighty Electronic Arts refused to make an extension to their Shogun total war 2 with the war in Korea as theme because of that.

I'm not going to go into detail but there a lot of hate between these two people.

Vietnam was nothing next to that. We are not talking about some public manifestations and a couple of burned bras here.

Venomous Female Tish-the-Scorpion's Avatar

i actually don't recall alot of top tier shooters being about Vietnam. in fact when i saw the title the first thing that came to my mind was Vietnam. i even remember a earlier episode of X-Play discussing this.
    Last edited by Tish-the-Scorpion; 12-22-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Okay, before this thread this is what I knew about Tish, zip, zero, nada.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

I'm begining to like Tish more and more, that's what I know. - cable guy

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Olvia View Post
    Even the all mighty Electronic Arts refused to make an extension to their Shogun total war 2 with the war in Korea as theme because of that.
    ?

EA has nothing to do with the Total War franchise. You're thinking of Sega.

Quote Originally Posted by Choblik View Post

Vietnam was incredibly divisive, yet we got games about that war. I think it's simple lazyness and playing it safe.
    Different situation, Vietnam was divisive yes, but Vietnam itself isn't a giant market for videogames.
    South Korea, back in the 8 and 16 bit days, which wasn't long ago, wouldn't put out games with Samurai in them, and if they did, they changed the graphics so they were wearing traditional korean garb.
    Vietnam was a war that was unpopular to some, this situation was japan occupied and took over their country for around 70 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tish-the-Scorpion View Post
    i actually don't recall alot of top tier shooters being about Vietnam. in fact when i saw the title the first thing that came to my mind was Vietnam. i even remember a earlier episode of X-Play discussing this.
    Battlefield: Vietman, the VietCong games, CoD Black Ops and the Vietnam expansion for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 all immediately come to mind.

The problem with WW1 is that it was a largely static war, with opposing sides sitting in trenches and trading fire with each. I can't really see scrambling out of a trench only to be immediately cut down by machine gun fire to be that engaging of gameplay. Korea on the other hand seems like a missed opportunity. I guess there is a reason it's often called 'The Forgotten War'.
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post
    Battlefield: Vietman, the VietCong games, CoD Black Ops and the Vietnam expansion for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 all immediately come to mind.

The problem with WW1 is that it was a largely static war, with opposing sides sitting in trenches and trading fire with each. I can't really see scrambling out of a trench only to be immediately cut down by machine gun fire to be that engaging of gameplay. Korea on the other hand seems like a missed opportunity. I guess there is a reason it's often called 'The Forgotten War'.
    Maybe it's because the korean war...is it a war now btw? Either way, it doesn't have a happy ending.
    I mean, yeah, South Korea is doing great and we have friendly relations with the country, but north korea is still there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post

You could make an engaging WW1 games. During the end of the war the first submachine guns showed up, also you don't have to be stuck in trench warfare. Erwin Rommel was not.