BANNED

Default DC Universe Online

So i went into DCUO 2 years ago thinking it would be like Skyrim, but instead of being a Dragonborn you get to make a hero/villain in the DC Universe and let him or her go through their own story and interact with the DC characters you love! Boy was i wrong. That game is driven so much by the mmo and the pve/pvp aspect that it completely ignores the lore that it has so much potential for. For the past 2 years (i think its been free to play for that long) ive been trying to get into that game but i suck so bad! so instead of trying to play it as an mmo i would create a character and, because im a nerd, i would give my characters a little origin back story of their own. It's kind of hard to do that because the character customization is so limited. It was hard to make a character that actually made sense according to their power, movement mode, and weapon.
    Eventually I came up with Flameboyant Guy! See the play on words their? (; He's power is Fire(obviously), weapons are Hand Blasters, and movement mode is acrobatics. And the little back story for him is that before he got infected by the exobyte from Lex Luthor he was gay. He's pretty much the only character i have but i have loads of more character ideas i can think of for a game with such a limited customization.
    So i was just wondering what kind of characters you guys made (actual DC Comic fans), and what are your experiences and thoughts and this game that lacks seriously character development lore? (my opinion anyway)

I never tried the game. I'm not an MMO guy. But I loved the tie-in comic. That was great.

Got Tickets for SDCC '15! Power Torch's Avatar

I like it, its fun. I have only got the first DLC due to money problems, but I will get more. I am not normally a mmo player and have only played 4 in my whole 22 years of leaving ( :P ). And I have never really "beaten" any of them before.
    "I'm no KILLER, I merely prevent greedy individuals from despoiling the planet."
    -Poison Ivy;BoP#3
    -Pulls:Dark Horse: Ghost, X, Captain Midnight, Blackout. (Check profile for DC).

I'd never played an MMO before, but love my DC, and am still on it. I love it.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

I enjoy the hell out of it.

I played World of Warcraft, the undisputed king of MMO's, for years. I did some raiding, lots and lots of pvp, and pretty much everything else. Had a few max level toons. My wife plays, all my friends play, even my six year old son plays.

When DCUO was announced I had little interest in it, because in the MMO world nothing lives for long (other than WoW.) But, being a comic fan, I looked into the game. When it launched, I had an extra $40 so I grabbed it. Figured I'd try it out, and after a month at most be back to WoW.

Didnt happen. I still play DCUO. Currently have five max level toons, and another one who is almost there. Got a Superman rip off (fire, flight, brawling) a Wonder Woman rip (sorcery, staves, acrobatics) a Batman guy (gadgets, pistols, flight) a 90's style anti-hero (fire, hand blasts, acrobatics) and a anime/mystic samurai style guy (ice, one handed, acrobatics). Next max level is gonna be a speedster mental/iconic powers with duel weapons.

I really dont see your complaint about the game ignoring the lore. I've traveled time to prevent villains from stopping Barry Allen's origin, fought against Ra's al Ghul and Red Lanterns, fought beside Superman and Wonder Woman, ran into Clayface and Bizarro and the Rogues and other villains in the streets. I battled Larfleeze and saved Christmas. Earned renown with STAR Labs and Wayne Tech. I've played as Batman and Power Girl in pvp.

You're complaining that an MMO is too much of an MMO. Not sure what you expected. A solo game, like Skyrim? Try the Arkham series. My wife loves those.

And tons of lore is included. Collections all tie into the comics. I'm currently trying to complete the Great Ten collection, and I'm still farming Kyle Rayner's mask. We have Lanterns, Booster Gold exploration adventures as well as his various marketing adds, iconic gear to earn...the game feels like you're in the DCU. Hell, they even have some of the old favorite actors from the cartoons doing the voice acting.

The game is good at what it does. My personal problem with it is that it doesnt do quite enough. The combat system, leveling system, and end game content is all fine; dynamic and fun and surprisingly complex. The exobyte crafting system is decent, if currently limited. Secret hideouts are on their way. What I want to see is a secret identity system added in, with more crafting options linked to it.

I like RPG's but not MMO's. So I didn't really like it.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

I'm not an end-game-gear-grind kinda guy. The game is built primarily for the "achiever" crowd, who will run the same raids over and over and over to get the cool gear. The game also caters to the PvP enthusiasts, although I'm not sure how well that works out for them. I'm also a PC user, and the UI is a bit awkward for the PC. I prefer a point-and-click approach. Having said all that, it's a fun game for a month or two. It's the fastest trip to maximum level of any MMO I know, but that's because the devs see the real game as starting at the max level. Everything up to that is just training.

I like the leveling process and exploring, and I run out of that pretty quick in DCUO. Still, I like to jump back in for a while every long now and then. In fact, I just created a new Nature character this morning. My lead character is Ice with Wonder Woman as a mentor. I've been trying out some of the DLC features now that they've given out a free month on Legendary status, although it's not tempting me to get a subscription or buy the DLCs. (If only they would sell some of those DLC components like the power sets separately, instead of forcing us to buy the DLCs to get them.)

I think the voice acting in DCUO is great. I'm not as wild about the combat system. Still, I'll take DCUO over Champions Online. I just can't take the goofy character models and the graphics in CO. I'm really hoping that Ill enjoy Marvel Heroes. Even though I don't buy any Marvel comics any more, the game looks good to me so far.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey

I have been wondering about whether or not to buy this game. I have been tempted to for a long time but disputed with myself whether or not I should play another MMO as I got bored of World of Warcraft.

Jackysaurus, by reading your post above and describing the missions you have carried out, you kind of made me want it even more now.
    I will be playing it on the PS3. Has anybody played it on the PS3? Any problems?

The game's been free to play for a while now. No need to buy it, as far as I know. You should be able to download it from the main site directly and jump in. Though, as I said, I bought it at launch so maybe you do need to buy the game before playing?

And its true, the UI is clunky for the PC. I guess I've been dealing with it long enough I dont really notice it anymore. But it is a pain in the ass, true.

As for the end game grind....I get tired of that pretty quick too. Its actually what took me out of WoW in the end. I do enjoy the solo challenges though. I try to knock out one or two every time I log in. They're quick and easy and I dont have to deal with pick up groups (pugs). But to put it into perspective, my main toon is working on Tier 2.5 armor, could be working on Tier 3, and we've had Tier 4 for quite some time. So even my main is under geared compared to the hardcore raiders. Doesnt matter, I spend my time working on collections and other feats that dont require that sort of dedication. DCUO seems to offer more alternatives for end game options than other MMO's that I know of, and with DCUO you earn skill points for all those feats, so you're still getting better.

I'm a lifetime sub so I come back to it once in a while. Currently not playing tho. Pretty solid casual MMO. I'd recommend it to anyone except people that still think it's fun to spend weeks wiping on the same boss for the sake of "progression."

I play every once in awhile. Its fun in small doses to me because I'm not one that enjoys doing the same thing over and over which seems to be the end goal of all MMOs.

I played it from launch (beta, actually) up until the Sony hack by Anon.

I enjoyed it for awhile, but mainly because it was DC. From the MMO standpoint, there are better games out there.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

queen of the stone age Wilder Midnight's Avatar

it has its ups and downs but i love it.

there are lots of technical problems with the game. also a serious lack of any new content the past six months which will hopefully be resolved this year.

the way i see it any game that lets you make up your own superhero to play in the dcu is going to be cool. there is enough going on to keep a new player busy for a year or so before beginning to wonder whats next.

future content is going to include going back in time to save superman and batman at the time of thier origins and trigon is going to rise...
    it's the end of the world as we know it.

I haven't played in awhile because my internet connection is usually too laggy, but I like the game.

I had a hero named The Gargoyle, who was a big, flying, tech-based tank with two-handed weapons based out of Gotham. I was also leveling up Red Menace, a Soviet-inspired villain with energy blasting powers who sought to bring the disgusting capital of Western decadence, Metropolis, to its knees.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

I have it, and I'm actually impressed by how creative some players get (I've seen a pretty convincing Thor, a few versions of Iron Man...) I love the gameplay but the font is too small on my old-school TV screen so chatting becomes a chore. My interest comes and goes...sometimes I'll pit in a week of playing, then I'll log on only to run the Vault.