Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Wolf View Post
    I don't know, I prefer the team of Grummett/Hazelwood, similar style I know but Grummett just seemed more polished and better at anatomy etc. I would love to see Grummett tackle pencilling New 52 Superman, I think he would really nail it.
    I liked Grummett's work too, but this is a topic about Jurgens. He still has a good relationship with DC. I personally wouldn't mind seeing either Grummett or Jurgens (or Kerry Gammill for that matter) back to doing a regular fill in's on the Superbooks, but I haven't seen or heard much from Grummett in awhile. I'm not sure if he is still even in comics anymore, let alone doing any work for DC. Same with Gammill.

Not to derail the thread any more than it already is...but does anyone know what ever happened to Kerry Gammill or Tom Grummett? Are they still illustrating comics?

Found this article praising Jurgens' splash page for Superman #75. It talks about how he met a woman who taught Dan art.

I always loved the cover he & Breeding did for Superman #0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Superman0.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	106400

One of the scariest looking Supes

Isn't that infamous image of Superman's torn cape (like a flag) caught on a stick from "Death of" one of Dan's too?

Here's another cover from issue #138

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUPERMAN_138.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	106401

definitely cool to see the different versions together.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    Youre one of those badass "in your face" guys, arent you.
    If you say so.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Is this when he was split into the Red and Blue Supermen?
    "Transformed" is when he first becomes an energy being and needs a containment suit. "Superman Red/Superman Blue" is when he was split in two. "Behold The Millennium Giants" is when that storyline came to an end.

I've seen that on the Lois & Clark TV show but when does it happen in the comics?
    It started with "Man Of Steel" #4, when Clark is getting ready to go to the Sea Queen with Lois. Clark used a piece of metal from stardrive of the Birthing Matrix and after bending it slightly, he would fire a weak beam of heat vision which reflected back and burned the whiskers off of his face. The metal could withstand the intense heat, whereas normal metal tends to warp and melt by the time he's done. However, on two occasions, he's used a mirror to reflect the beam back. Once in an episode of "Superboy"/"The Adventures Of Superboy" and once on "Lois & Clark". I think it was used in "Smallville", but he seldomly was shown shaving. It was also used in an episode of "Superman: The Animated Series". The use of a mirror happened in the comics just before "The Death Of Clark Kent", but afterwards, it was back to being a piece of metal.

I just started picking up this series, I'm not in love with it, but I think they are finally getting it basically right.
    Batgirl, Superman/Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, Worlds Finest, Batman/Superman, The Movement, Astro City, Kick Ass 3, Miracle Man, Nightcrawler, Red Sonja, The Star Wars, Sandman: Overture, The Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    "Transformed" is when he first becomes an energy being and needs a containment suit. "Superman Red/Superman Blue" is when he was split in two. "Behold The Millennium Giants" is when that storyline came to an end.

It started with "Man Of Steel" #4, when Clark is getting ready to go to the Sea Queen with Lois. Clark used a piece of metal from stardrive of the Birthing Matrix and after bending it slightly, he would fire a weak beam of heat vision which reflected back and burned the whiskers off of his face. The metal could withstand the intense heat, whereas normal metal tends to warp and melt by the time he's done. However, on two occasions, he's used a mirror to reflect the beam back. Once in an episode of "Superboy"/"The Adventures Of Superboy" and once on "Lois & Clark". I think it was used in "Smallville", but he seldomly was shown shaving. It was also used in an episode of "Superman: The Animated Series". The use of a mirror happened in the comics just before "The Death Of Clark Kent", but afterwards, it was back to being a piece of metal.
    He also used a panel from the Eradicator to shave at the end of Exile , which The Cleric found to be apprpriate.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind seeing either Grummett or Jurgens (or Kerry Gammill for that matter) back to doing a regular fill in's on the Superbooks
    From your mouth to DC's ear...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

@ Ood Omega

I always loved that "0" cover too. I appreciate Grummet's and Perez's art but it was the composition that Jurgens came up with particularly in Superman's flight or poses that made me decide he's me favorite artist. His Superman has a commanding presence if needed by the story (look at the pose in Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey when he had his arms folded in his chest when talking to Maxima in the JLA headquarters). Of all the artists doing Superman in the 90s Jurgens is also the one who can draw the cape that really looks like it is being blown by the wind. It's smooth and flowing in contrast to the position of Superman he draws as usually solid and strong. He's also the first artist that I noticed drawing Superman's flight in a front view where it really looks like Superman is coming at you at full speed because his hair is also moving with the wind. And at that time, Jurgens' rendition of heat vision was very different from most artist (although that style is no longer appropriate now because of the improvement in color technology in comic books). He's also the one that made a lot of close-ups of Superman's eyes when angry and the reflection/light shining in those eyes made them seem real making his Superman look badass. His style might not be perfect (sometimes they make awkward poses or have slightly long neck) but if he is teamed with a good inker you can really see the quality of his work. I also think he was able to blend the style of Swan, Perez, Garcia-Lopez, Schaffenberger (?) and Byrne into his take on Superman.

I saw his early drawing as a little crude but the one that first got my attention on how much he improved during the years was through an ad by CBR acknowledging how great were the Superman stories in the late 80's and early 90's with the caption: "The most dependably enjoyable series of superhero comics. Currently available is the Superman line." I miss those days! If you can also check his art in Day of Doom with Sienkiwizc (?) that was really awesome. I hope he can continue to improve his style so he would suit the year 2010+ pencilling style.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Jurgens was an okay Superman writer, but a freaking phenomenal Thor writer.

As for his art here, I think he needs more of a finisher rather than plain inker.
    Brett Breeding. His art was PHENOMENAL with Breeding. The only way I'll go out of my way to really look at Jurgens' art is if with pencils are under Breeding's finishes.

Who follows Jurgens around these days? It's Rapmund right? Or wasn't it for a spell? I miss the crap outta the Jurgens / Breeding art team.
    A robotic journey toward the American Dream: MADE in USA.

It's Norm Rapmund these days. Before that it was Joe Rubinstein.

I'm Right, You're Wrong King Krypton's Avatar

I liked Grummett's work too, but this is a topic about Jurgens. He still has a good relationship with DC. I personally wouldn't mind seeing either Grummett or Jurgens (or Kerry Gammill for that matter) back to doing a regular fill in's on the Superbooks, but I haven't seen or heard much from Grummett in awhile. I'm not sure if he is still even in comics anymore, let alone doing any work for DC. Same with Gammill.

Not to derail the thread any more than it already is...but does anyone know what ever happened to Kerry Gammill or Tom Grummett? Are they still illustrating comics?
    Gammill does concept art for movies. Grummett's over at Marvel and occasionally does commissioned art when his schedule permits.

Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Krypton View Post
    Gammill does concept art for movies. Grummett's over at Marvel and occasionally does commissioned art when his schedule permits.
    Thanks for the info... shame they don't work regularly in comics anymore.

Hmmm...commissioned art...I am curious how Tom would handle the New 52 Superman. I think he would nail it like Jurgens did in striking the right balance of youth and gravitas.

I wonder how one would contact Mr. Grummett?

Thanks for the info... shame they don't work regularly in comics anymore.

Hmmm...commissioned art...I am curious how Tom would handle the New 52 Superman. I think he would nail it like Jurgens did in striking the right balance of youth and gravitas.

I wonder how one would contact Mr. Grummett?
    http://www.comicartfans.com/SubNewsDetails.asp?NID=3565
    Here it is! Prices, too!

Next to Curt Swan, Dan Jurgens is my favorite Superman artist. Would love to see him come back to Superman at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo-Man View Post
    Next to Curt Swan, Dan Jurgens is my favorite Superman artist. Would love to see him come back to Superman at some point.
    Co-signed. Probably the only other Superman artists that I love as much are George Perez and, yes, Mahnke. But Jurgens is gold.