Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Man, Dan Jurgens can draw a hell of a Superman

So I just re read Jurgens Superman run. Seriously. This man draws Superman top notch, out of all of the artwork concerning Superman out of the reboot Dan Jurgens has absolutely nailed The Man of Steel. Hell, because of him I think I can finally accept and maybe even like the New 52 costume a little bit (Yea I know, outrageous). His Superman is just perfect, youthful yet mature. Say what you will about his story, which I think gets a lot of negative flack, and in my opinion was a good Superman story since it displayed his personality and heroic traits and gave us a proper classic Superman-esque feel when we needed it. It also ended on a great note which I wouldve liked to see continued.

But man, that art work alone is worth seeing it just to get a glimpse of what Superman is suppose to appear like.

Each to his own, but I think Rocafort and Lee have the best looking "NU 52 Superman" out there.
    My problem with Jurgen's art was when he drew fight scenes, I didn't know what was going on...and the body positions in battles were just weird (to me) but his Superman standing or just flying looked good :)
    Cerebral Assassin

Jurgens has always drawn a great Superman. I've never cared for his writing, but the man can draw that's for sure. In fact he might be my favorite Super-artist after Boring.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Jurgens was an okay Superman writer, but a freaking phenomenal Thor writer.

As for his art here, I think he needs more of a finisher rather than plain inker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    Each to his own, but I think Rocafort and Lee have the best looking "NU 52 Superman" out there.
    My problem with Jurgen's art was when he drew fight scenes, I didn't know what was going on...and the body positions in battles were just weird (to me) but his Superman standing or just flying looked good :)
    Rockafort is good in his own way. But in no way looks like my or traditional Superman (I always thought that before his reboot work too). Looks too pretty boy. Dan Jurgens provides the perfect look of what theyre trying to do with the New 52 while retaining Supermans badassery powerful look. Thats what I want my Superman to look like, like a super man, not Superboy. Dan Jurgens Clark even looks phenomenal and empowering, just look at that great first panel.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    Jurgens has always drawn a great Superman. I've never cared for his writing, but the man can draw that's for sure. In fact he might be my favorite Super-artist after Boring.
    Co-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post

As for his art here, I think he needs more of a finisher rather than plain inker.
    I havent read his thor, will have to sometime soon.

I like Dan Jurgens artwork raw, full potiential. And 100 percent his flavor.

He even came up with an explanation of how the costume works. Just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    I havent read his thor, will have to sometime soon.
    Starts good, the middle drops off a bit, but the final couple years were terrific.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I agree, I like Jurgens's Supes. I like the classic superhero style - it fits Superman and I would like the idea of DC had 1 Supes title have a more classic style artist and the other Supes title have a more modern or edgy or avantgarde style (all 3 not necessarily being the same thing). Regardless, I'm stilling crossing fingers that Mahnke gets on a Supes book ASAP...
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I agree, I like Jurgens's Supes. I like the classic superhero style - it fits Superman and I would like the idea of DC had 1 Supes title have a more classic style artist and the other Supes title have a more modern or edgy or avantgarde style (all 3 not necessarily being the same thing). Regardless, I'm stilling crossing fingers that Mahnke gets on a Supes book ASAP...
    Oh man, a man can only wish if Mahnke got on a Super book. His superman is flawless (as well as his Sinestro).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qPon2S4vHl...b2toughguy.jpg

Great art along with great dialog/portrayal. His recent work portraying Supes and the JL in the Green Lantern book was just awesome. Hopefully well see more of that somewhere.

Damn image isnt working
    Last edited by Cypher-Z; 12-22-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Mahnke waaaaaaaaaaaaay over Mr. Jurgens. I just think Jurgens Superman looks way to basic with not feeling to it, but Mahnke is a god among Superman artist and I'd love to see him on a Superman book anytime.

Mahnke is pretty darn god tier. Hence the avatar.

His Batman is meh though. His work on GL and when he draws Supes is the best though.

I like Jurgen's Superman, but I love how this turned into a Mahnke thread. I've always loved Mahnke's Superman and Wonder Woman, so I'd love to see him on JL.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

BANNED

Mahnke is King, he should have Jim Lee's job.

Default Wish they would let him do more Superman stuff!

It may be blasphemy to some, but I actually thought Jurgens run with John Jr. was BETTER than the Simonson run, and I thought the Simonson run was AWESOME!

Jurgens Superman work was exceptional. I really miss his influence on the character. He understood the character and really treated him with respect. I think Superman (v.2) #150 was one of my favorite books. He used a lot of reference points from the bronze age to tell a fresh story. Many of the characters in that story found their inspiration from the bronze age. And I don't want to give up who the main villain is, but I really liked the way the whole thing played.

Jurgens art has always been that way for me. As a story teller, I think there are few who can match his ability to layout a page and move the story. His inkers really do have a profound effect on the final product. My favorite inker from the 90s was Art Thibert, Breeding's work was solid, but it got a little wonky with Superman/Doomsday:Hunter/Prey. Friends of mine point out to me how nice Kevin Nowlan inked Jurgens in Superman vs. Alien, but I still have to make a big adjustment to read that book.

I miss Dan Jurgens work on Superman and I wish DC would let him do one of the books regularly.
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Mahnke waaaaaaaaaaaaay over Mr. Jurgens. I just think Jurgens Superman looks way to basic with not feeling to it, but Mahnke is a god among Superman artist and I'd love to see him on a Superman book anytime.
    For me, to compare Mahnke over Jurgens is comparing apples and oranges. Mahnke is a solid artist and has drawn some pretty nice stuff (I enjoyed his run on the Superman books about 10 years ago) but Jurgens is a storyteller...bringing not just the art but the dialogue and plot too. I think that the way you approach the material is different when you are writing it yourself, as opposed to working off of someones description or a full script.
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

Yeah, he did draw a pretty good Superman.