Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I liked both, the DeMatteis one was exceptional and rivaled the main story as the highlight of the issue (I can't decide what I liked best).

Black Cat one was ok. Overall, 600 had much better back ups though.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Yep. Those backups have enhanced the main story with is a plus for those who read for the sequential serial. OT: Though in themselves the quality varies, I didn't care for that Two-Face once.
    Definitely--if they're going to insist on $3.99 and are throwing a backup in, it's kind of nice to have one that informs on the main story. Compare that to the backups in ASM at times that didn't even feel like they were taking place in the same continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by esskay View Post
    It's kind of a chore to read back-up stories (for the same reasons, I don't do tie-ins or annuals nowadays). I definitely didn't read everything in #600, and everything I did read was pretty poor. I DID read the JMD in #700 and it was pretty good, I guess. It leads you by the nose a bit, but that's his style. I will never, as long as I live, read that Black Cat one. I hate the way Black Cat's written nowadays, and the art looks horrible.

You know what I miss? The old filler-page guides to Pete's apartments/powers/costume. I think at the end of Big Time I would REALLY have appreciated something like that. Anyone reading Spidey in the 1980s knew the whole layout of Peter's apartment (the one with the "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better" poster). Where does he live now? Tribeca, but that's all I know. Who are his neighbours? How does he get in and out? This was always one of the fun parts of Spidey - the everyday stuff. Same with the dozens of new costumes he's had recently. I'd love to see a one-page guide to their features. Shame it didn't happen.
    I used to love those in the annuals. They really fleshed the world out in a way different from the stories in the comics. Where's Byrne with his architecture software when you need 'em?

I found both back up stories to be fun and enjoyable.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

i liked the first but the art for the black cat one was terrible. (not my cup o tea)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    i liked the first but the art for the black cat one was terrible. (not my cup o tea)
    Yeah, I am no fan of Stephanie Buscema's art; at the very least, it didn't seem to fit here. The JMD story was outstanding and the issue overall was a terrific package; personally, I would have much preferred seeing a short story by another acclaimed team----or at least writer----like Roger Stern or even Len Wein than what we got here. But, with the powerful 50-page lead, the JMD tale that was a knockout, the 700 cover gallery and Stan Lee answering letters, I suppose we shouldn't complain much!
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Got home late and didn't read the back-ups but man that main story was something else.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Quote Originally Posted by neverender View Post
    Backups are always wastes. Have you ever read a backup in a DC comic? Except Shazam which is excellent everything else is crap.
    Are you not reading Batman right now? The back ups are phenomenal. Marvel should be taking notes. You hear that Wacker- if you aren't reading Death of the Family you should be.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Default Question About DeMatteis' Backup In Issue 700 (spoilers)

Who was that guy? Was he someone we already knew or someone who just had caught some leaked memories?

I don't believe its supposed to be an in-continuity tale, just a weird little story. If you'll notice the art all the other characters appearances are different too.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I don't believe its supposed to be an in-continuity tale, just a weird little story. If you'll notice the art all the other characters appearances are different too.
    That's why I was thinking that this poor guy just caught some leaked memories and was confused by them.

I think the insinuation is that it's actually Peter Parker under a different name, reflecting on his superhero career. He's gotten so old (and probably collected so many concussions) that a lot of his memories concerning the identities of heroes and villains alike have become a bit hazy.
    All OOC, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by okpanic View Post
    I think the insinuation is that it's actually Peter Parker under a different name, reflecting on his superhero career. He's gotten so old (and probably collected so many concussions) that a lot of his memories concerning the identities of heroes and villains alike have become a bit hazy.
    All OOC, of course.
    That's how I figured it. It's one of the things that makes it pretty obvious Peter Parker didn't die in the main story.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Creator of Strange Paths! tesh_karde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    The DeMatteis story was the highlight of the issue. A poignant and bittersweet ending for Peter--he lives an ordinary life but outlives his wife and children.
    Agreed. I wish DeMatteis was writing ASM again.
    Check out my fantasy-adventure web-comic Strange Paths @ www.strangepathscomic.tumblr.com

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    The DeMatteis story was the highlight of the issue. A poignant and bittersweet ending for Peter--he lives an ordinary life but outlives his wife and children.
    I agree! It's the second back-up story that sucked, even if it was done by John Buscema's granddaughter!!!

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I thought they were pretty strong backups to say the least. Stephanie Buscema's was beautiful.
    Beautiful?!? My 5 year old niece could have written and drawn a better Spidey story than that!!!