Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Hawkeye #6

Matt Fraction and David Aja timely and seasonal "Hawkeye" #6 is a delicious treat, just like the previous five issues, but with a little holiday sparkle.

Full review here.

Do we need a new six-star scale? Because it would be ridiculous to have five star reviews for this awesome book all the time.
    I don't think there's a current mainstream American superhero comic book that can touch Hawkeye right now. Brilliant all the way. Entertaining and technically outstanding at the same time.

the six stars for the Dr. Druid cameo alone..
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

This is one of those rare occasions where it sounds like people are over-hyping the book, but they really, really aren't. Hawkguy (lol) is fricken incredible. If you buy ONE book a month, this should be it.

A good book .But 5 stars? What, it's one of the greatest comics every made? Give me a break

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    A good book .But 5 stars? What, it's one of the greatest comics every made? Give me a break
    It may be the best mainstream comic out at the moment, and I wouldn't be surprised if history proves it to be a game-changer. I would have expected a graduate of the College Of Musical Knowledge to recognize this.

Let's say we start the scoring with a perfect score of 100% and deduct points by demerits. What are the demerits in this issue that would bring it down to 90% (to make it 4.5 stars, the next discrete rating in the review scale?
    I don't think there's a current mainstream American superhero comic book that can touch Hawkeye right now. Brilliant all the way. Entertaining and technically outstanding at the same time.

A review of one comic book does not necessitate it to be compared to another. Hawkeye getting 5 stars does not in anyway take away from an issue of the original Watchmen getting a 5 star review.

The review is for the merits of the specific comic, and in this case it rightly earned it's 5 stars.

Interestingly, this is the same reviewer who currently pans X-Men Legacy. The X-folk think she's way wrong.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Interestingly, this is the same reviewer who currently pans X-Men Legacy. The X-folk think she's way wrong.
    She is wrong, on Legacy. The difference is clearly taste. Hawkeye is a book thats merits are more populist and broadly recognizable. Legacy is a book that is decidedly outsider and strange, and it doesn't appear that CBR has a reviewer that has an affinity for those kinds of books. That's the real shame.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    She is wrong, on Legacy. The difference is clearly taste. Hawkeye is a book thats merits are more populist and broadly recognizable. Legacy is a book that is decidedly outsider and strange, and it doesn't appear that CBR has a reviewer that has an affinity for those kinds of books. That's the real shame.
    So if a reviewer can be right on one thing but very wrong on another, what's the point of listening to them at all? Can we tell "how often" they get it right? Who decides that?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    So if a reviewer can be right on one thing but very wrong on another, what's the point of listening to them at all?
    Well, we each have to decide that for ourselves obviously. My answer is "not much".

Can we tell "how often" they get it right? Who decides that?
    I can, because I'm fairly well educated in criticism, specifically art theory and rhetoric. We each have to decide it for ourselves, but I find reading comic reviews super depressing, however they match my own response. Like in this case, where I agree the comic is great, but don't recognize anything in the review that corresponds to why.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar

"Contact lenses are just a lie sitting there on your face. They're like breast implants for eyes and I will not stand for it!" - Steve Wacker, Hawkeye #6 letter column.

I almost peed myself.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    Which is weird, because I like both books largely for the same reason. They're both tight, character-driven books (a rarity in comics), written by writers who clearly have a great understanding of the character they're telling stories about. Hawkeye is better –Fraction is producing a book that's shaping up to be one Marvel's defining runs– but they're both very good books.
    Last edited by 1derer; 12-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

So I picked up the first few issue of this series a few weeks ago. I slowly got the book I was missing and read them all straight through. WOW! This is outstanding. It is fun, but series. It is hard, but soft. It is... I don't know. Something about this book just clicks. Everything just falls together perfectly.

If you aren't reading this do yourself a favor and go pick it up.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!