Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    The OP makes a very good point about one of Dick's strengths being his leadership abilities.
    But that's all past history . . . water under the bridge . . . way before New 52.
    What proof, if any, do we have that New 52 Dick still has those qualities? He's only been a hero for maybe around five years now. He may have covered for Bruce for nearly a year, but any time with Teen Titans and JLA from the pre-Flashpoint DC has been erased, and do we know much about the time with Starfire and Roy refered to in RH&tO? (Since I don't read that title, I have no clue.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I do imagine they are going to reduce his leadership capabilities when they show up again, as he probably had a falling out with his old "team" and will use that as an excuse why they haven't interacted, but it losing it altogether would be like Batman losing his over-preparedness or Superman losing his heroism. It is just such a defining trait of the character. I mean come Jan he is going to be starting in to shows where he is leading a team. It would feel like such a waste if it was gone.

The Avatar of Vengeance melkorjunior's Avatar

Default Nightwing Needs a Team NOW

So let's give him one:

After Death of the family Dick and the rest of the Bat-family have had enough of Bruce and Gotham so they take their toys and leave. They go far, far away, to a city they can make their own...Los Angeles maybe, or Chicago.

Dick, Barbara, Tim, Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain set up shop together under Dick and Barbara's leadership. Why not? it would double as a Nightwing book (in addition to his solo title) and a Batman Family book. Most importantly, it would make Dick a real player in the DCU, setting up his own group in his own territory. Also it would give Jason increased exposure if he decided to remain in Gotham helping Bruce out after DotF, and it would make me like Damian a bit more when he's the only one who chooses to stick with Bruce.

With Dick's higher profile after a successful tenure as Batman, DC needs to take advantage so they can make him a permanent A-lister. His own team would be a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by melkorjunior View Post
    So let's give him one:

After Death of the family Dick and the rest of the Bat-family have had enough of Bruce and Gotham so they take their toys and leave. They go far, far away, to a city they can make their own...Los Angeles maybe, or Chicago.

Dick, Barbara, Tim, Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain set up shop together under Dick and Barbara's leadership. Why not? it would double as a Nightwing book (in addition to his solo title) and a Batman Family book. Most importantly, it would make Dick a real player in the DCU, setting up his own group in his own territory. Also it would give Jason increased exposure if he decided to remain in Gotham helping Bruce out after DotF, and it would make me like Damian a bit more when he's the only one who chooses to stick with Bruce.

With Dick's higher profile after a successful tenure as Batman, DC needs to take advantage so they can make him a permanent A-lister. His own team would be a great start.
    Not bad, but I don't think this is the best idea in the bunch. A team is good, but it has to be something that takes him away from Gotham, not regurgitate all the relationships he has in the Batbooks.

Honestly it would depend on the members of the team. I'd like to see Dick on a team but I would prefer that the team not regurgitate the relationships he's had with people in the past whether they be Bat Family member or former Teen Titans from the previous universe. I think they should try something different then what they've tried in the past with him. None of the latter Titans incarnations got off the ground so I don't see a need to revisit that particular grouping of characters unless they could do something interesting with it this time and I'd like to see him do something outside of things with either the Bat Family or Batman Inc.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Do what the new 52 action comic does, and write a book that would be set prior to nightwing's current comic, maybe 2-3 years prior, of his adventures with HIS teen titans (or whatever they would be called now) because they certainly did exist according to RHaO

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But that's all past history . . . water under the bridge . . . way before New 52.
    What proof, if any, do we have that New 52 Dick still has those qualities? He's only been a hero for maybe around five years now. He may have covered for Bruce for nearly a year, but any time with Teen Titans and JLA from the pre-Flashpoint DC has been erased, and do we know much about the time with Starfire and Roy refered to in RH&tO? (Since I don't read that title, I have no clue.)
    I disagree. It's part of his innate make-up as a person, part of what makes him tick. Just because he hasn't had a chance to demonstrate his leadership ability yet in the DCnU doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    I disagree. It's part of his innate make-up as a person, part of what makes him tick. Just because he hasn't had a chance to demonstrate his leadership ability yet in the DCnU doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    A lot of what I thought "made him tick" seems to have just been discarded by that awful Tim-lite origin revamp in Nightwing #0, though.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I like the idea of doing some flashback issues for awhile of some teaming up he did before Nightwing #1. I'd enjoy reading that much more than his solo stuff, which wasn't bad but didn't motivate me to read it constantly like Red Hood and even Teen Titans did.
    "A severed foot is the perfect stocking stuffer."

Bring Back JLI and have Nightwing, Guy Gardner or John Stewart, Supergirl, Random Flash villain like Turbine or Glider, Booster Gold, Firestorm and have a good Maxwell Lord. Other than that I would maybe like to see team ups with Batwing and Nightwing but excluding that I prefer seeing Nightwing in New52 go at it alone.

Something inbetween Teen Titans and JL. We're gonna have three different JL teams (JL, JLA, and Dark) so I don't want his team to be in another JL spin off.

I've been thinking of a concept for Nightwing-led team book, but it's a bit more globe-trotting in nature. It could blend with Black Canary, Batgirl and Starling's BoP, but other characters I'm thinking of to include are Cass Cain, Stephanie Brown, Onyx Adams, Ben Turner, Thomas Blake, Andrea Beaumont and the third, most recent Lynx.
    "Gargantua, stop! We're... friends!"
    - Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

I got an out-of-left-field idea--WildCATS.

We know that it's gonna happen sooner or later--probably with Jim Lee involved in it, and considering how DC's integrated WS characters with DCU stuff (Stormwatch starting with Martian Manhunter in the team, Caitlin Fairchild paired with Superboy and now Niles Caulder, Beast Boy and Terra, Team 7 having Black Canary, Deathstroke, and Amanda Waller), I can see them deciding to add a big DCU character to the roster to generate interest from people who think of Wildstorm characters as 90s pouches with eyes.

As for how it would help Nightwing--if they keep to the original idea of the team, I think the idea of him fighting an alien conspiracy would definitely make for some different, interesting situations for the character to really flourish in, depending on who writes him.