Thread: Man-Thing

Default Man-Thing

What's the deal with the guy? How can he be in both Thunderbolts and Fearsome Four?

Quote Originally Posted by texdent View Post
    What's the deal with the guy? How can he be in both Thunderbolts and Fearsome Four?
    Man-Thing is a teleporter so he makes far more sense on multiple teams than Spider-Man, Thing, or Wolverine.

Having said that he ISNT on two teams. Hes barely on one team.

He lives with the Thunderbolts and provides them with transportation (sometimes even to the place they wanted to go).

I havent read the book but the advertisements for Fearsome Four make it pretty obvious that not only is he not in the team hes the threat the team was formed to deal with.
    New and improved me. Now with a CAPITAL B.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Question

I could be wrong, but... in Thunderbolts #161 Man-Thing "evolves" to the next level and disappears. In Thunderbolts #162, Satana is trying to use his "essence" left in the Habitat to teleport, but Man-Thing himself re-appears with the Thunderbolts, and again "evolves" into the next stage of his being. So there is a brief time period when Man-Thing is away, that is maybe linked to Fear, Itself: Fearsome Four.

Also, maybe this is the Man-Thing from Frankencastle's run (since the current/other Man-Thing was sliced in half by Ares in Dark Avengers and taken away). Currently (I could be wrong) there are two Man-Thing's in the world. Maybe when you cut one in half, you get two?

Or maybe it's like Plant-Man, who's Simuloid is part of Force of Nature?
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool.....and now the overexposure of MAN THING?!!!?

Kieran's explanations work for me. This is a character that could definitely pull off being two places at similar times.

so where is Man-Thing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    so where is Man-Thing now?
    With the Thunderbolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    With the Thunderbolts.
    still? Am I just drawing a blank the last two issues than? Aren't they still stuck in the past?

Also didn't he get out during Fear Itself and go all crazy

Don't forget he's also in my pants.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    still? Am I just drawing a blank the last two issues than? Aren't they still stuck in the past?

Also didn't he get out during Fear Itself and go all crazy
    I've only been following Thunderbolts in trade, so I haven't read the time travel arc yet, but unless I'm mistaken (which I probably am) he's with the time travelling team.

Well, Man-Thing is awesome. Thread closed.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

I'm waiting for Man-Thing to re-evolve back into the more telepathic version from the Late 90s, I mean late 1999 where he had an 8 issue series keeping the Nexus safe traveling with his wife.
    He's been a virtual no show in the last few TBolt books, maybe when he reappears after the teams time travel story he'll be more fully evolved.
    As you may tell from avatar I'm something of a Man-Thing fan.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Default I think it's a fitting time for the new Man-Thing. - (Beware spoilers)

When the saga came to an end in Dark Avengers #183 the team broke up and Man-Thing returned to the Nexus of Realities, intent on finding his place in the world a changed creature; as Parker described to Robot 6 @ Comic Book Resources Man-Thing can now talk and think clearly. That was something Kev was pushing for early on, when he started speaking to me. I'd really like to do a new Man-Thing comic, I have ideas that would make it a different kind of book. I established the universal language he speaks to explain that everyone hears him differently, so he could never be written wrong.

I think the changes made worked well in the context of a team focused book where the technique of having each character hear him speak in a different way got a good work-out. The recent publication of the last Steve Gerber written Man-Thing story (Infernal Man-Thing) means it would actually be a fitting time to retire the mindless empath which Steve made his own in his classic stories with the character.

The strength of Steve's work with Manny has meant previous revamps (such as the underwhelming J.M DeMattheis version in Vol 3/Starnge Tales/Spiderman Annual) of the character have been quick to fade away, so for this new incarnation to stick for the long-term a few other writers will have to show a willingness to use him. I sincerely hope that some do.
    Last edited by Strawfellow; 12-08-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Spoiler warning to be added

hopefully the new version can show up in some comics soon.. have him be a protector of forests and other natural settings..