Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default DC Promotes Harras To SVP, Kanalz To Vertigo

DC Comics made shifts in its executive structure today as Editor-in-Cheif Bob Harras earned an SVP addition to his title while DC digital honcho Hank Kanalz will now lead Vertigo with an eye on integrating the imprint across the company.

Full article here.

BANNED

Why, DC, why.

I think this is a bad day for DC Comics. Unfortunately, they think Bob Harras is doing a good job. I suggest that if you look closely, successes are occurring in spite of him, not because of him. As for his negative influence, I submit as evidence the disaster zones that are DC's 'youth' titles & the Superman titles. Both are editorial & commercial failures.

The wave of 'hand-me-down' talent he imported has also been a failiure. Rob Liefeld any one? Remember, Bob Harras is the man behind the decision to let Rob Liefeld co-write 3 x DC titles! Whilst Gail Simone was restricted to 1 x title, then rudely booted off it. I wonder if the subsequent back-tracking was imposed on Bob? My instinct says yes.

Whilst the new52 is an overall success, the foundations are quite weak, largely due to them rushing the execution & the launch.

I believe Bob Harras is inflicting long-lasting damage to this publisher. I dislike the direction he's taking, along with the management style he seems to bring with it. He is quite simply a bad editor.

But, hey, it's the end of a good year for DC in spite of the problems. I just don't believe that measure of good luck can continue.

“Bob is a respected and talented editor, manager and leader with a keen eye for talent,” said DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio. “He’s been integral to making DC – The New 52 the amazing success it is today. 2013 is going to build upon 2012’s huge successes and we continue to be committed to providing fans with the best comics on the stands. Bob and his team have set the bar high for themselves, and we are all excited about what’s next for DC Comics.”
    Keep telling yourself that DiDio. How did the whole Rob Liefeld experience go? How about writers and artists leaving DC to work for other companies with NEW and ORIGINAL concepts? How about firing creators for no reason? I could go on.

DC Entertainment veteran Hank Kanalz has been named Senior Vice President of Vertigo and Integrated Publishing. In his new role, Kanalz will oversee Vertigo’s publishing efforts
    Really? WHY? stupid on many levels.
    Who's there?

On the one hand, I think I could enjoy watching DC collapse in on itself.

Then again, I just want stories I can actually enjoy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing1982 View Post
    Keep telling yourself that DiDio. How did the whole Rob Liefeld experience go? How about writers and artists leaving DC to work for other companies with NEW and ORIGINAL concepts? How about firing creators for no reason? I could go on.
    Pretty standard PR bullshit.

DC is really ticking me to no end now.

The main shift I want to see within DC's executive structure involve Harras resigning. Or getting the sack.

Well, I dunno. Was this promotion just to get him further away from the actual creative process? I could deal with that.

Replacing Karen Berger with Hank Kanalz is like firing Alfred Hitchcock off a film and hiring Brett Ratner to replace him.
    I believe all that needs to be said has been. So here’s my two cents.”
    -- ScottMC, inadvertently summing up the Internet.

Harras was the guy who had Chris Claremont leave the X-Men in 1991 after writing the title for 16 years (a Marvel record, I think), because he liked better the ideas of pencilers Jim Lee and Whilce Portacio. That's all I need to know about him.
    Last edited by passer-by; 12-21-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    Replacing Karen Berger with Hank Kanalz is like firing Alfred Hitchcock off a film and hiring Brett Ratner to replace him.
    Kanalz isn't an editor. He's been in charge of DC's very successful digital strategy and it makes total sense to expand his role. I honestly think this could be very good for Vertigo. The imprint has clearly been a secondary concern for DC and now it has an executive to champion projects and push for talent. Kanalz can also help push for a stronger online presence. Like everyone else, I'm frustrated by Harras' getting a bump up. He hasn't been able to fix the problems between DC's editors and creators and relies too much on old talent.

I don't know if it would have been possible, but I think Diana Schutz would have made a great choice to replace Karen Berger. She seemed to be to Dark Horse what Berger was to Vertigo.

Basically, Wildstorm and 90s speculator boom combined.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

The history repeats itself. DC should learn on the mistakes that Marvel did in 90s. But maybe they should experience it on their own.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Hmmm. So, we can't hope that this move will fix the DCU, I guess? Drat. What's Geoff Johns' current position in the scheme of things?

Quote Originally Posted by chastmastr View Post
    Hmmm. So, we can't hope that this move will fix the DCU, I guess? Drat. What's Geoff Johns' current position in the scheme of things?
    This about Vertigo, not the DCU, which is selling well in spite of those who believes it somehow needs "fixing".
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox