Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Avengers Arena #2

A nice "Lord of the Flies" tribute on the cover of "Avengers Arena" #2 winds up being appropriate for the adventures within, thanks to the mixture of characters Dennis Hopeless and Kev Walker have pulled together.

Full review here.

I find it fascinating how far the "This Isn't Real"/"There's going to be a reset button" idea is spreading. True or not, intentional or not, the final outcome will be interesting to see in the long run. It could be a case of narrative failure (IE: "It's real! I swear!" "pfft! Yeah, right") or a nice use of foreshadowing. Only time will tell.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

They did such a good job building up the character of rebecca ryker that i was fully expecting them to kill her. im glad they didnt bc even though i was expecting it, i still would have been pissed.

This one is sitting on the edge of my pull-list. I like superhero stories that revolve around character work, but I'm still not sure about this. I'll probably invest $18 for the first six and go from there.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

This is great but I've no idea how this will still be printing in 2014.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    This is great but I've no idea how this will still be printing in 2014.
    It won't be, it's a interesting idea but its only going to go so far

It all depends on how long the thing can be dragged out. I don't expect it to be more than 30 or 40 issues myself, if it is allowed to finish and isn't canceled early. Since it double ships, that honestly means it won't last much into 2014 anyway.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

I didn't like this issue as much as #1 (aside from the cover, which was sweet), mostly b/c this round's fatality was a complete throwaway. I was like "who is that? oh.... never mind." Then again, it'd be pretty awkward to develop a character and then always kill them in the same issue. I'm still interested and will continue to pick it up, but I'm starting to think this book may really hit it's stride once the herd is thinned out a bit, and the remaining "competitors" are fleshed out more.

I'm still really conflicted with this book. The art is great and it has some good character moments. Not the greatest book, but definitely above average and worth a read. But this Hunger Games gimmick is to much. There has been a couple of times while reading this issue I've asked myself, is this really necessary? Couldn't Hopeless recreate some of these character moments without this stupid gimmick? My gut answer to that question is yes.

As much as I hate the concept of this book, I hate the idea of it being a VR sim even more. That would really put the nail in the coffin for me, to know that this whole thing is all pointless, trivialize the concept of death even more, and triple confirm that this book is a blatant cash grab. I think if you have the balls to do something like this, you should have the balls to go all the way no matter how many people it pisses off. That shows integrity. Stupidity for proposing the idea, and yes he will be hated, but at least the man will have some integrity. I make that statement knowing full well that my girl Nico won't come out of this alive.
    Last edited by Voss; 12-22-2012 at 01:11 AM.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

A fair review for a good issue.
    Voss, Hopeless wanted to write these moments without the gimmick. He wanted Arena to be an arc for an AA style book. Mark Waid had suggested getting all the kids and making a Battle Royale at some retreat, editorial leapt at Hopeless' suggestion and told him to make the stories he wanted to do within this setting. So he is, quite well.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Im guessing, if there IS a "reset button", the best way of writing it would be to say that when a character dies in the murderworld ( which is where the place the Arena is has been called in-comic), they are actually returned to the real world. That way, if the series is cancelled early, they have a way to wrap the series well (the characters why have been "killed" manage to organize a rescue) and if the series is allowed to run until it's natural conclusion, the characters won't need to be brought back to life in order to be used again. ( at the very least, X-23 and the other Avengers Academy kids are likely to be used again) I'd rather it not be a VR sim, though, since it could simply be a seperate universe easily enough. something like the micro-universe Wasp was stuck in.

I'm really enjoying this book. I'm not super excited about losing some of my favorite characters, but I'm a realist... They would most likely be shelved if it were not for this series.

Keeping that in mind helps me enjoy the series for what it is. It is one of my favorite great genre plots with an ethnically diverse cast of teenaged superheroes. I'm happy this book even exists and I hope it sticks around.

I've read both Runaways(all 3 series) and Avengers Academy(whole series). I love Hazmat and loved Mettle but c'mon. You can't have the runaways without Nico and Chase. They should've had a new Runaways series. The only thing I don't like abou Avengers Arena is that they both didn't have a line at all in firt 2 issues. Hopeless'd better let at least one of them survive.

With a very similar plot, I prefer "Deathmatch", published this month by Boom. It's much more original, with an entirely new universe.
    Avengers, New Av., Mighty Av., Secret Av., Uncanny Av., Young Av., Inhumanity, Thor God of Thunder, Wolverine.

Ready for Kev Walker to move onto something else...