Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you play?

A bunch of posters on here play instruments. Since I am bored, I thought it would be cool to see what kind of gear folks have.

My current guitar is a sparkle orange Ibanez Jet King. It's a pretty fun guitar, kind of a Jack White type of thing. I found it at a pawn shop a couple of years back. I enjoy playing surf, garage, rockabilly, blues type of stuff. It isn't so hot for hard rock or metal. It doesn't do well with distortion although it sounds great with the built in amp overdrive in my Fender amp. Needless to say when I add the amp reverb, it totally sings.

This isn't my actual guitar, but a picture of the same thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	411Lb6wPhML__SL500_AA300_.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	106043

I've had other guitars in the past that I had to part with for financial reasons, including a Gibson Explorer, a Gibson SG-X, a Squier telecaster, and this crappy Japanese Mosrite knockoff. I miss them all. I would really like to have another real Gibson SG, someday, and maybe a real Fender Telecaster.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

I've played drums, keyboards, and acoustic guitar, but the only instrument I truly fell in love with is the bass guitar. I own two--a Hondo Formula-1 from Japan that I play pretty much any kind of music on, and a First Act ME105 (below) that I use solely for funk, R&B, and anything that requires a lot of slapping & popping.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_c553421_image_0.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	106513
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

I play geetar.

Currently wielding an old epiphone SG. I barely play any more, perhaps an hour or two a week and I teach my lady how to play. I'm at a level now where I'm happy to not really progress much. I'll play forever and keep learning songs and I'll improve naturally but I'm no longer "practicing" or really pushing myself as I just don't have time really. I only play as a hobby and I can jam along to songs and play some cool solos and riffs and that's good enough for me. :)

I have no pictures yet but my wife got me an Epiphone Les Paul standard heritage cherry burst. She got a great deal on it at a pawn shop. It's a nice guitar. I actually have always preferred SGs to Les Pauls but I really dig this axe.

I too, mostly just play for fun. I learn songs and just jam. If I found some guys to play with again, I would try it. I'm happy though to also just do what I do.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Is it worth shopping around flea markets and charity shops and jumble sales for cheap guitars? I've never really seen any in there (then again I've never really looked)

I'm not sure as I really can't recall seeing any the few times i have been to those types of places. I've had good luck at pawn shops but it requires some looking. They tend to have a lot of junk but they may come down on the price on something good. Craigslist might work out, depending on how bad people need to unload something. I had a buddy buy a guitar on Ebay once. It came with some problems. I wouldn't buy a guitar I couldn't test drive first, myself.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Well, I used to play a little bit of guitar (acoustic, not electric). It's been ages since I last picked it up. Does this count?
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

I dabbled on the piano as a kid, but I was never very good-- I just don't have the coordination to use two hands like that. In junior high, I started playing alto sax, and eventually played it and tenor sax, clarinet, flute, trumpet, and trombone throughout high school. My sax has been in a closet for about 20 years. I've got one of those ears that can instantly spot notes that are off key, but no real musical desire.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I play squier strats, fender electro-acoustic, westfield basses and a ludwig drum kit.

I play piano! I can not play very complicated songs, but can play slow tempo songs if I have the sheet music or book.
    X-Poster of the Month: January 2009
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

もう二度と・・・

I've always wanted to try Piano.
    I love that kind of music and I have 'Long, spider-like fingers'
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Bass and guitar. Both Ibanez.

I am a decent enough bassist but my talent as a guitarist aren't all that amazing. For being honest i used my guitar more often as a tool to get into some girls pants than anything else. (you can try that with a bass but it's clearly not as effective)

I can play the drums too. Kinda.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    That's another problem I encountered when trying piano and guitar-- I have short, stubby fingers. I even had trouble with some clarinet fingerings and the extreme low notes on sax.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Then you should try it!
    X-Poster of the Month: January 2009
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

もう二度と・・・

I've been playing the flute off and on since sixth grade. Lately I've been trying to set my own poetry to music.
    Beverly Allen--The Bee, with honey and stinger

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan