View Poll Results: Is Wonder Woman a Gay icon?

Voters
30. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes. She is!

25 83.33%
  • No. She isn't!

2 6.67%
  • I never thought about it till now, but NO.

2 6.67%
  • I never thought about it till now, but YES.

1 3.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've heard people say she is, but I've never seen this in the movement, as TrekkieGal mentioned above. However, I know some gay (male) friends who are big into Wonder Woman imagery (shirts, mugs, posters, etc). Since I generally consider Wonder Woman a humanist hero (as opposed to simply a feminist hero), I can see how you could see it. I don't know if WB would have the guts to ever try to broaden her appeal by centering on such an issue or not, though.

Or also how they'd go about doing that, either? I'm sure there's a way about, maybe making the character unapologetically flamboyant (my gay friends tend to veer in that direction). I don't know, though. I've always been a big supporter of gay rights and have gay friends, but I'm pretty straight, so I'm not sure if I've ever really been able to tap into the gay mindset really.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    You're more than welcome to join in this thread, SL.. as is everyone else! The question was posted for all with an opinion. One need not be gay or straight to have a say on what they've observed or think.

I think I agree for the most part with Daniel Harris, even though it's not really the reason I've always looked up to Wonder Woman.

For me, it has always had to do with her compassion, and her sense of fairness and honesty. Since a young adult I started to think like Wonder Woman when it comes to those terms. It is because of her, and her alone, that I instilled similar values into my life. Even today, when I'm amongst strangers it always hits me kind of harsh when someone doesn't believe something I say.

I remember once I was coming out of the airport tired from the flight, and as I walked towards the parking lot I saw an older woman, a younger woman, and a kid. When the older woman saw me walking close to them she pulled the kid by the hand and told the younger woman to be careful and I heard her say something under her breath about '...that man.....". My feelings were kind of hurt because someone thought that "I" would do something to hurt anyone on purpose. I know, of course you have to be careful of strangers but it kind of hurt my feelings anyway. I've become so used to thinking along the same lines as Diana that.. well.. it became me.
    It shows, from your friendly and reasonable manner in all the discussions and arguemtns on here. Thanks for sharing this.

This, to me, is a classic "Wonder Woman" moment:

She has every right to be rude to Hera (to say the least) for having offed her entire race, and yet... she honestly treats her with respect. Not because she's earning browny points to get her mom back, but basically because that's just how she is.

As long as Azzarello doesn't change THAT.. I can live with it.
    Amen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    How is this a yes or no question? Of course she's a gay icon.
    Someone who isn't out and proud a gay icon? That's a pretty crappy icon. Apollo and Midnighter forever.

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    I'm hesitant to respond, not being GLBT, but this one seems obvious to me - WW is a GLBT icon*.

*eta - ... for some. Obviously, GLBT is not a singular-hive mind, so not everyone is going to love WW. (Though they should, of course. )
    Pssst! Awonder! read what I said to SLVN, OF COURSE you can post here! Hehehe. Someone else here posted that she's not "out and proud" (personally I think if she were real, she'd be straight from what I've read). But I have noticed over the years that she's been adopted as some kind of a figure or icon in the GLBT. Almost as much as Judy Garland (almost). I never figured THAT one out, but she even guest starred in Wonder Woman 226 and 227 pre-crisis (under the name "Julie").

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    It shows, from your friendly and reasonable manner in all the discussions and arguemtns on here. Thanks for sharing this.

Amen.
    thanks SLVN.. I didn't share that before in this thread because I didn't want to "set the tone" for the type of answers I would hope for.

I think there are many reasons why people like Wonder Woman, gay and straight alike. I know what i got out of it but one can only hope that nowadays there are still some who learn something from comics!.. dwindling as they are!

I don't think she's an icon to "GLBT Rights" as much as she just is a "GLBT icon" as in someone that is praised just for the fun of it. The gay male community in general loves strong, empowered women. And I think she has enough to provide the rest of the spectrum with reasons to love her too. She's fun to like!

Honestly, and I don't mean this sarcastically or hatefully, I always saw Batman and Robin being closer to "icons."
    "And in a few years, some rebellious little kid is going to turn up at your school with me on his t-shirt. 'Cyclops was right.'"

Quote Originally Posted by OrpheusTelos View Post
    Honestly, and I don't mean this sarcastically or hatefully, I always saw Batman and Robin being closer to "icons."
    I think it would be fun to hear why or how you derive at your opinion.

The curious one.

I don't know. When I think of someone or something translating into 'icon' I think it means the first thought or impression I have when I hear their name. With Wonder Woman -in all honesty- the first thought that comes to my mind is 'bondage'. That maybe because I was reading re-prints of the GA material when I was quite young.
    I'll think about it some more but I really don't know right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    I don't know. When I think of someone or something translating into 'icon' I think it means the first thought or impression I have when I hear their name. With Wonder Woman -in all honesty- the first thought that comes to my mind is 'bondage'. That maybe because I was reading re-prints of the GA material when I was quite young.
    I'll think about it some more but I really don't know right now.

You know this is actually the first person that makes sense. I mean seriously to even touch this subject are we even talking to actual LGBT community people here or as the tiltle states GLBT which sounds like somebody reaching for a topic THEY HAVE NO FRIGGIN CLUE!

Look it up, because there are no mistakes.
    Last edited by TrekkieGal; 12-24-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Typos

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkieGal View Post
    You know this is actually the first person that makes sense. I mean seriously to even touch this subject are we even talking to actual LGBT community people here or as the tiltle states GLBT which sounds like somebody reaching for a topic THEY HAVE NO FRIGGIN CLUE!

Look it up, because there are no mistakes.

I did look it up, because LGBT and LGBTQ are the terms I was familiar with. But it turns out that GLBT is a fairly common variant. A few of its Google hits include

www.glbt.dc.gov/ (The Mayor's Office for Gay, Lesbian, Bixexual and Transgender people in Washington, D.C.)

www.glbtnationalhelpcenter.org/

http://www.glbthistory.org/

http:///www.latinoglbthistory.org/

http://washingtondcjcc.org/social-networks/gloe/

http://www.glccb.org/

Anyway, whatever you all it, it's a pretty diverse community, right? It doesn't surprise me that some within that community would consider her an icon while others have never thought about her that way. In this article--http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/20110411lyndacarter0411.html--the head of Phoenix Pride, in Arizona, is paraphrased as saying that even though she was personally a Wonder Woman fans she never realized the character's significance to the community until someone suggested Lynda Carter as Pride grand marshal and "the response from the gay community [was] overwhelming."
    Last edited by slvn; 12-25-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Perhaps its Lynda Carter who is the gay icon.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Perhaps its Lynda Carter who is the gay icon.
    Yep, maybe--or it could be a little of each. Maybe Lynda helped make Wonder Woman iconic and Wonder Woman helped make Lynda iconic?

They're both gay icons. Lynda Carter is also a supporter of gay rights.