Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Priime View Post
    Yeah, about that..see Justice League #1-6
    The Origin arc of Justice League is set 5 years in the past. It's been said by the DC execs that since then in the DCU, some form of Final Crisis happened and Darkseid died.

I tried to read the all new X-Men because I thought it would be a standalone thing with out all the continuity, but no. It's just a bunch of continuity with which I am totally unfamiliar. I felt totally lost so I dropped it after the first 3 issues.
    Batgirl, Superman/Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, Worlds Finest, Batman/Superman, The Movement, Astro City, Kick Ass 3, Miracle Man, Nightcrawler, Red Sonja, The Star Wars, Sandman: Overture, The Maxx

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    The Origin arc of Justice League is set 5 years in the past. It's been said by the DC execs that since then in the DCU, some form of Final Crisis happened and Darkseid died.

Man, DC should leave all past events out of the New 52. Doesn't make sense, espcially Death of Superman, Blackest Night, all of Batman's history being intact, etc. They wiped everything clean after Flashpoint, so just go from there.

I thought Didio said that in the New52 there have been no Crises, original or final.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Great read, this thread! Many valid points for both sides. Personally, I agree with the guy who said that NOW! is somewhere in the middle of the pack between the worst of DC and the best of DC. For the past year I have been a DC consumer; however, the constant out-of-the-blue changes in creative teams and what seems to be a sense of directionlessness (?) has made me look again at Marvel to see what they have to offer.

Hawkeye, FF, Daredevil, and Hickman's Avengers are excellent titles, but like someone said previously, whenever I buy something from Marvel, I feel like I am being scammed, or like i am financing an evil empire. I certainly hate that Marvel tries to reflect in its books whatever happens in the most recent movie (Mystique being given scaled skin, Toad turning green and growing a tongue, this new Nick Fury, Coulson, Rogue turning into Anna Paquin, the Avengers turning into the Avengers from the movie, etc) and also the fact that artists barely last 4-6 months in a title (at best). Also, the "event" never-ending-cycle is exhausting. As soon as this happens in one of those 4 titles, i'm gone.

I dont have a problem with DC's reboot; DC can probably get away with doing it every 20 years or so. I think that ship has sailed for Marvel, and now their only option is to pull retcons to catch up the characters and situations to current times.

In the end it really doesnt matter which one is better as long as at least one of them is producing a quality product; whoever does, will get my money, and if they get too lazy then the money will go to the one who shows more respect for the consumer.
    Please check my mini-reviews of DC and Marvel comics at:

http://myhumblereview.blogspot.com

Comments and feedback are always welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    I thought Didio said that in the New52 there have been no Crises, original or final.
    Which brings us back to my sig.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

Quote Originally Posted by net06 View Post
    I tried to read the all new X-Men because I thought it would be a standalone thing with out all the continuity, but no. It's just a bunch of continuity with which I am totally unfamiliar. I felt totally lost so I dropped it after the first 3 issues.
    Fairly certain there are some on these boards that believe continuity is what comics should be about. As if a timeline is better reading material than an actual story. I was thinking of trying that title. But double shipping talked me out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    He did. He also said there have been. No idea if he's changed his stance but wouldn't be surprised if he hard reboot them out.

Comic sales in the u.s. pale in comparison to other countries like japan, where kids to the elderly read comics. I have to travel a hour plus to get a consistent source of new comics legally. i about peed my pants when I saw Archie comics in a store within 30 minutes from home.

It will never be better than the New 52 because Marvel was only reacting to what DC was doing, but did not have the guts to really restart everything for fear of losing long-time readers, so they just renumbered their titles. And in naming their event they only changed one letter from "New" to "Now" :)

A rebooted Marvel Universe would be extremely difficult for me to resist. There's always going to be something appealing about being there when it all started. But Marvel's put themselves in the position of rewriting history piecemeal which just isn't as dynamic as what DC did. That was a huge gamble and apparently Marvel doesn't believe they can pull it off. Which may be for the best for them. That's not dissimilar to my beloved pre-CoIE DCU which reconned here and there or mostly just ignored how old these characters really were by refusing to allow them to age to the point of marriage and such. I remember it was a rather large occurrence when Dick went off to college and Jason was introduced. Nowadays, Jason would have been thought up and Dick sent to college to make room for him. But back then it was Dick's story to go away and they wanted to reverse that decision at a later date in some manner so push the timeline forward by having a new Robin to resemble him. There just seemed a clear idea of what was and wasn't allowed. Today, neither DC nor Marvel really have a clear idea of such a thing. So instead of things feeling like responses to natural events, events are manufactured to appear to be natural.

Quote Originally Posted by psynetrix View Post
    Great read, this thread! Many valid points for both sides. Personally, I agree with the guy who said that NOW! is somewhere in the middle of the pack between the worst of DC and the best of DC. For the past year I have been a DC consumer; however, the constant out-of-the-blue changes in creative teams and what seems to be a sense of directionlessness (?) has made me look again at Marvel to see what they have to offer.

Hawkeye, FF, Daredevil, and Hickman's Avengers are excellent titles, but like someone said previously, whenever I buy something from Marvel, I feel like I am being scammed, or like i am financing an evil empire. I certainly hate that Marvel tries to reflect in its books whatever happens in the most recent movie (Mystique being given scaled skin, Toad turning green and growing a tongue, this new Nick Fury, Coulson, Rogue turning into Anna Paquin, the Avengers turning into the Avengers from the movie, etc) and also the fact that artists barely last 4-6 months in a title (at best). Also, the "event" never-ending-cycle is exhausting. As soon as this happens in one of those 4 titles, i'm gone.

I dont have a problem with DC's reboot; DC can probably get away with doing it every 20 years or so. I think that ship has sailed for Marvel, and now their only option is to pull retcons to catch up the characters and situations to current times.

In the end it really doesnt matter which one is better as long as at least one of them is producing a quality product; whoever does, will get my money, and if they get too lazy then the money will go to the one who shows more respect for the consumer.
    I like both marvel now and dc new 52. Like you said marvel now with around 80-100 comics under my belt, nothing has wowed me. I had only dropped avengers arena due to the main members of the group not being there and it coming off like an attempt to cash in on the avengers name. Nothing screamed terrible to me. I just read the first 29 week at the time of this post, so change may happen. But it is not likely that it will happen. i do not like the quick turn over i talent in the dc comics lately.
    I like the batman owl story arc and a lot other dc arcs. Each dc family comics adds layers to the sub series of comics and often have focus on different parts of the character's life, which i do not feel with marvel now.Both universes have too many comics in popular series like batman,xmen. Why do we need 5 plus comics in a series like batman/avengers a month? I was a marvel kid but also adored dc and image(when i could afford it). I love the concept of a super hero and dc and marvel have been the main players since the 60's if not before.
    I can not put one over the other by a huge margin. I have adored marvel more and have collected more on the marvel side. My dc collection is huge but my marvel collection is even more enormous. I want to see what superman and others in the dc universe and spider man and others in the in the marvel universe. Together they satisfy my mainstay American comics desires. Image and valiant together my desire to read less corporate based comics, which are more free in their expression and in my opinion of image have better artwork and less censoring.
    Last edited by tenlong; 09-19-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: making the post easier on the eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Fairly certain there are some on these boards that believe continuity is what comics should be about. As if a timeline is better reading material than an actual story. I was thinking of trying that title. But double shipping talked me out of that.

He did. He also said there have been. No idea if he's changed his stance but wouldn't be surprised if he hard reboot them out.
    All the continuity is in the pages of the book. All you literally have to know is Beast grabbed them mid-way through issue 8 of the original series and that they hadn't encountered Sentinels yet. Also, that title hasn't double shipped since like the winter, it had 17 issues come out in a calendar year.

I f we compare titles, then I think Dc wins. Dc has some of the worst titles ever (Anything by Noncenti and Lobdell, except for Rhato) but far more amazing titles than Marvel.

Amazing titles DC: Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman, Astro City.
    Great titles: Aquaman, Green Rrow, Green lantern (all of them), Flash, Batgirl, nightwing. The rest are alright, average or terrible.
    Marvel Amazing Titles: Daredevil, Thor. Most of the rest are great or average.

So yeah, IMO, Dc has better titles at the moment, but several bar ones. In the end, Vertigo defeats any other company out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    The concept may not be a parody but his run as Batman and costume were. I haven't read KnightQuest in awhile so I'll take your word for him not killing people but he was pretty insane, hearing voices and going too "violent" for Robin's standards. The costume certainly wasn't supposed to be taken seriously and Dick went to wearing Bruce's old costume in Prodigal.
    Yes, but Azrael continued to wear a similar style costume for his solo run. I never took it as a parody, in that it didn't seem satirical. It could be considered commentary, a reflection of a society that increasingly believes in hardware over human grit and ingenuity, but that's not really a parody. A parody would be less subtle, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog1981 View Post
    All the continuity is in the pages of the book. All you literally have to know is Beast grabbed them mid-way through issue 8 of the original series and that they hadn't encountered Sentinels yet. Also, that title hasn't double shipped since like the winter, it had 17 issues come out in a calendar year.
    Little difficult to understand your point since I'm not reading but didn't these titles just launch at the end of last year. It seems 17 issues a little high for September for them to not have double shipped since last winter.