Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Honestly, I don't much care. However, I always wonder why the hell they're still playing hockey in the middle of summer. The season, the playoffs or both are clearly too damn long.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

The playoffs should be ALOT shorter. There is no need for 7 games series for every round except money. The only series that should be a best of 7 is the finals. The semis should be 5 and first round 3. That and you don't have half your league making the the playoffs either.

Much, much shorter regular season.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

My other things I'd do...

1.) The preseason would start in September. The 1st week to the last of September would be the preseason for the NHL.

2.) The Regular season would start in October and run til the 1st of March or middle.

3.) The post season would run March and April...wrapping by May. There should be no Hockey once it really gets warm and spring is giving way to summer.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Wayne Gretzky is loved by the fans and pros alike. If Wayne Gretzky is named NHL Commissioner its gonna restore a shit ton of goodwill to the game. Gretzky can promise that as someone who as a child who loved hockey he will make damn sure it endures and he's gonna be very active to do it. Bettman needs to be axed as soon as he causes the season lost , he needs to be shit canned and the players need to fucking demand it. They need to make a demand to owners...we won't come to the fucking table til that son of a bitch is out.
    The only problem is Gretzky has been pretty terrible on the management side of the game, and he's a dull speaker. I agree they need a new commissioner to appease the fans, but Bettman himself was never the problem, it's the owners he represents.

I don't think they need less teams, but I'd like to see some move- Quebec and Ontario could each support another team, maybe Seattle or Portland.

1) Shorten the season
    2) trim the number of teams and balance the number of Canadian and American teams
    3) realign the league so the conferences go along national lines-an American conference and a Canadian conference, have an east and west division in each conference
    4) each year the Stanley Cup Finals would be an American team vs. a Canadian team making it draw national interest and get people behind it, making it more of a national event like the Olympics than just another sporting event. Even if your local team is eliminated you have reason to cheer for your country's team in the finals
    5) find an American network willing to do a weekly game much like Hockey Night in Canada, the network needs to be one that has market penetration unlike when games went on the VS. channel which was not carried by many cable or satellite providers
    6) change the parameters of the NHL draft so it garners more attention like the NFL and NBA draft and is less like the MLB draft. Drafted players need to be closer to pro-ready to make an impact immediately so they are not buried in the developmental leagues and forgotten by the fan base who don't follow minor league teams in distant cities. The draft needs to be another reminder the NHL exists to fans during the off-season, it needs to be an event of sorts where the future ambassadors of the game are introduced to fans
    7) Speaking of ambassadors of the game-Get a new commissioner. A former player might be a step in the right direction, but not Gretzky for the reasons others have mentioned. Mario Lemieux on the other hand...

Just a few ideas...

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Japan's #1 Psycho Girl JDogindy's Avatar

Since this seems like the only place to talk about hockey, I'll go off-topic for a moment and point out that the NHLPA is closer to disband.

If you didn't think the season's dead before now, it sure as hell is.
    All-time favorite comment:
    Power of music? Wanna know why the original Presence bailed out of the DCU? These two are the reason:
    -Koyomi Mizuhara
    -Mimi Tachikawa
    SInging Karaoke. :D

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    As long as the Columbus Blue Jackets are eliminated, I'm okay with whatever decision is made.

I can't believe that the city of Columbus tried so hard to get a NHL team, and they ended up with... this.
    Don't get me started on this abomination of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    The only problem is Gretzky has been pretty terrible on the management side of the game, and he's a dull speaker. I agree they need a new commissioner to appease the fans, but Bettman himself was never the problem, it's the owners he represents.

I don't think they need less teams, but I'd like to see some move- Quebec and Ontario could each support another team, maybe Seattle or Portland.
    With this , its gonna be less about management of a team. I think Gretzkey could do it for awhile to just give fans something to cheer about again.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    With this , its gonna be less about management of a team. I think Gretzkey could do it for awhile to just give fans something to cheer about again.
    No ex-player in his right mind would be the owners puppet. And Gretzky for all his skills as a player is sub-par as any type of management.

I'd get rid of all the high price players. I mean really I want some hockey! Get college hockey on tv or something, hell get Minor league hockey on tv I'll watch the Sioux Falls Musketeers if i have too. Sidney Crosbey has enough to live on...

Quote Originally Posted by jdwrocks View Post
    No ex-player in his right mind would be the owners puppet. And Gretzky for all his skills as a player is sub-par as any type of management.
    I get that part. Here it would be a 50/50 deal...Gretzkey can be someone the players will respect there. I doubt he will be an owners puppet. But they can have him be split down the middle for both sides. Which they really need right now. Bettman is completely for the owners and its hurt the game really bad the past 15 years with 3 lockouts.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    1) Shorten the season
    2) trim the number of teams and balance the number of Canadian and American teams
    3) realign the league so the conferences go along national lines-an American conference and a Canadian conference, have an east and west division in each conference
    4) each year the Stanley Cup Finals would be an American team vs. a Canadian team making it draw national interest and get people behind it, making it more of a national event like the Olympics than just another sporting event. Even if your local team is eliminated you have reason to cheer for your country's team in the finals
    5) find an American network willing to do a weekly game much like Hockey Night in Canada, the network needs to be one that has market penetration unlike when games went on the VS. channel which was not carried by many cable or satellite providers
    6) change the parameters of the NHL draft so it garners more attention like the NFL and NBA draft and is less like the MLB draft. Drafted players need to be closer to pro-ready to make an impact immediately so they are not buried in the developmental leagues and forgotten by the fan base who don't follow minor league teams in distant cities. The draft needs to be another reminder the NHL exists to fans during the off-season, it needs to be an event of sorts where the future ambassadors of the game are introduced to fans
    7) Speaking of ambassadors of the game-Get a new commissioner. A former player might be a step in the right direction, but not Gretzky for the reasons others have mentioned. Mario Lemieux on the other hand...

Just a few ideas...

-M
    There are some good ideas here. I especially like idea 5. It's because of Hockey Night in Canada on CBC that Canadians will tune in on Saturday nights. Every Canadian can get this channel, whether it's basic cable or something more. I don't know if that exists in the States with a channel that everyone gets.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

As far as ratings go for NHL... here is the NHL on NBC's ratings and how it slowly was rebounding after the strike in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_for_The_NHL_on_NBC

What could sadly happen is the NHL may suffer a big blow... because ratings went from 1.2 on games in 2005 to a 5.7 for the 2011 Stanley Cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidwolfdog View Post
    I'd get rid of all the high price players. I mean really I want some hockey! Get college hockey on tv or something, hell get Minor league hockey on tv I'll watch the Sioux Falls Musketeers if i have too. Sidney Crosbey has enough to live on...
    Depending on where you live, college hockey is easily available on TV. Ilive in Minnesota & I can see 2 or 3 different WCHA games at once on Fridays & Saturdays.