Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 111
  1. #91
    Tantu Terrific! Stanlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Lets say the studios had finally chosen someone to direct the live action Wonder Woman movie and Peter Jackson is it. Would you be for or against the idea? If so what are your reasons regarding either?

    My pros and cons concerning him as director

    Pro

    I think the movie would be visually stunning and imaginative. My fear concerning a WW film would be that cheap CGI would probably hurt the movie but Peter Jackson knows how to use it well.

    We might get some pretty good battle scenes. One of the main things we've wanted out of a WW movie.

    He knows how to balance drama and action. Sometimes too much drama could make a movie boring and sometimes too much action would just make it a mindless action flick with little plot. I thought in his Lord of The Rings films he balanced drama and action pretty well.

    Also important to me for a WW film is that the action be scored well.
    Con

    Haven't really did any superhero works so I'm not sure if he can pull a superhero movie off. Although Wonder Woman can just as easily take the modern fantasy approach.

    If they're going to make a franchise out of Wonder Woman they'd need a director whose good but not a big enough name so that they could use him for more movies. I don't see Jackson sticking around to do more movies

    The pacing. Sometimes he can drag a movie to boring lengths, one of the complaints concerning the LOTR Trilogy and recently The Hobbit is that Jackson tends to drag scenes out longer than they should have
    I would rather see someone like Tsui Hark (Detective Dee And The Mystery of the Phantom Flame, Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, Dragon Inn) do Wonder Woman. I think they would bring the necessary enthusiasm and imagination to really deliver a dynamic visual representation of Wonder Woman as an action figure. It's exciting to think of a live action depiction of WW actually capitalizing on the lasso, bracelets and tiara in tandem during combat.

    Other promising prospects would be Kaige Chen (Wu Jin aka The Promise), Tony Ching (where is he????) or of course Yuen Woo-Ping (I loved the action in the first half of True Legend which intimates how awesome he might handle bullets & bracelets)

    Also awesome might be the guy who did Equilibrium and Ultraviolet (Kurt Wimmer) or Len Wiseman of the recent Total Recall.

  2. #92
    Tantu Terrific! Stanlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    The biggest load of crap I've heard is wanting a Wonder Woman film to be realistic so whatever.
    Hmmmm. I think if there is to be "realism" let it be around the way the people of this plain react to her. That might also drive the development of sequels.

  3. #93
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hmmmm. I think if there is to be "realism" let it be around the way the people of this plain react to her. That might also drive the development of sequels.
    Ok THAT kind of realism I can get behind. It could just be my modern way of thinking but I honestly would find it hard to believe that an entire population of people would just quickly accept Wonder Woman. Even if she does one good deed you'd still have doubters believing she's either doing it for selfish reasons or just manipulating the public till her true colors is revealed. So in order to have the publics respect she has to earn it, not have respect immediately given to her. It's like in the Nolan Batman films where it had to take the third movie for the public to finally accept Batman. And that was when he sacrificed his life to save Gotham from nuclear explosion.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  4. #94
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I would rather see someone like Tsui Hark (Detective Dee And The Mystery of the Phantom Flame, Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, Dragon Inn) do Wonder Woman. I think they would bring the necessary enthusiasm and imagination to really deliver a dynamic visual representation of Wonder Woman as an action figure. It's exciting to think of a live action depiction of WW actually capitalizing on the lasso, bracelets and tiara in tandem during combat.

    Other promising prospects would be Kaige Chen (Wu Jin aka The Promise), Tony Ching (where is he????) or of course Yuen Woo-Ping (I loved the action in the first half of True Legend which intimates how awesome he might handle bullets & bracelets)

    Also awesome might be the guy who did Equilibrium and Ultraviolet (Kurt Wimmer) or Len Wiseman of the recent Total Recall.
    I agree with the choice on the guy who directed Dragon Tiger Gate but not on the guy who directed Equilibrium and Ultraviolet. Now years ago, before Ultraviolet, I would agree but Ultraviolet convinced me how far the director has fallen since Equilibrium. Also I don't want the fights to end up being one sided, I'm all for epic fights when it comes to Wonder Woman. Now if Jackson cant do it then I'm all for Del Toro.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  5. #95
    Psychonaut Burning Manazon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Lots of interesting ideas in this thread.

    For my director choices, I like the idea of Refn because he wants it so darn bad. He's an artist with a vision for Wonder Woman, and that passion is what I want for my Amazon princess.

    Another would be Ang Lee, using a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon approach to fight choreography. I think he could do some amazing work.

    Then there are the Wachowskis, because the are made of awesomesauce.

  6. #96
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Manazon View Post
    Lots of interesting ideas in this thread.

    For my director choices, I like the idea of Refn because he wants it so darn bad. He's an artist with a vision for Wonder Woman, and that passion is what I want for my Amazon princess.

    Another would be Ang Lee, using a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon approach to fight choreography. I think he could do some amazing work.

    Then there are the Wachowskis, because the are made of awesomesauce.
    Sorry but after the first Hulk movie I don't want him anywhere near a superhero movie, let alone Wonder Woman. Same goes for the Wachowskis, don't want Wonder Woman to bomb given their track record as of late.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  7. #97
    Senior Member ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,519

    Default

    What have they done lately? Last film they did that comes to my mind was that Speed Racer one from years back.

    And I gotta agree that Ang Lee would be a bad choice. Or rather, his Hulk film was so horrific I would shudder to see him attached to the project. But hey, you never know. I figure, the best director on earth can strike out sometimes, and the worst one in history still has a homerun in him somewhere.

  8. #98
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    What have they done lately? Last film they did that comes to my mind was that Speed Racer one from years back.

    And I gotta agree that Ang Lee would be a bad choice. Or rather, his Hulk film was so horrific I would shudder to see him attached to the project. But hey, you never know. I figure, the best director on earth can strike out sometimes, and the worst one in history still has a homerun in him somewhere.
    It was Cloud Atlas, which bombed big time. Agreed on the last statement.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  9. #99
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Sorry but after the first Hulk movie I don't want him anywhere near a superhero movie, let alone Wonder Woman. Same goes for the Wachowskis, don't want Wonder Woman to bomb given their track record as of late.
    Hulk is underrated.

    He did Life of Pi recently, which was very good.

  10. #100
    Senior Member ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,519

    Default

    That was Ang Lee? It looked interesting, but I didnt get around to seeing it. Hell, I havent even made it out to see Hobbit yet.

    And Hulk wasnt underrated, it was an attempt to mesh quasi-intellecutalism with a giant green rage monster. But then, all things are subjective I suppose.

    Now, INCREDIBLE Hulk, with Edward Norton, THAT one is underrated. Much better than people give it credit for.

  11. #101
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Hulk is underrated.

    He did Life of Pi recently, which was very good.
    [/context]Hulk makes movies now? That's cool
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

  12. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    [/context]Hulk makes movies now? That's cool
    I dunno if he makes them, but I know he does reviews of them.
    And since I've been looking for an excuse all week to post this hilarious review of Transformers by him, here it is : http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com/20...9/hello-world/

    Enjoy.
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

  13. #103
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    And Hulk wasnt underrated, it was an attempt to mesh quasi-intellecutalism with a giant green rage monster. But then, all things are subjective I suppose.

    Now, INCREDIBLE Hulk, with Edward Norton, THAT one is underrated. Much better than people give it credit for.
    Hulk is by no means a good film at all and fails on basic levels of tone and pacing but it's far better then most people give it credit for who just say "boring". It tries really hard. Sure it fails but it tried harder than any of the Marvel studio films (despite not being as good as any of them).

  14. #104
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Hulk is by no means a good film at all and fails on basic levels of tone and pacing but it's far better then most people give it credit for who just say "boring". It tries really hard. Sure it fails but it tried harder than any of the Marvel studio films (despite not being as good as any of them).
    I find Iron Man to be a Marvel studio film that actually tries to be a fun superhero film. Don't know about you but the Iron Man films did what the comics failed to do, it actually made me like the Tony Stark character. But that's my opinion on the matter
    Last edited by Legato; 12-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  15. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,136

    Default

    But people have criticized both of Marvel and DC of making flat, unrealistic characters. Tony Stark was mostly an amalgamation of Howard Hughes stereotypes with the dashing charm of icons like Errol Flynn. However corporate leaders, especially tech leaders, are not really as eccentric as Robert Downey Jr's portrayal or share Howard Hughes' hypochondriac behaviors. They're as human as anybody else. The film emphasized those traits because it's a good way to prove he's a brilliant, rich workaholic. Bale's performance as Bruce Wayne was so good, because he was too damaged to convincingly be the playboy billionaire/business genius. He couldn't maintain his wealth in TDKR and act spoiled because he's too intense inside.

    If Wonder Woman does come to the theater what does an Amazon Princess from an isolated island behave? Do we really want to hear her speak in ancient Greek just to make it authentic? The language barrier should be significant but it's also an issue these films would rather just skip over.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •