Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seant View Post
    What? I don't see that. Although I do agree that Drive was a great movie. One definite sign of the Oscars not being quality is that it wasn't nominated for best picture (while junk like "the Help" was), and Albert Brooks wasn't nominated for best supporting, while Jonah Hill got a nod for his boring performance in "Moneyball." Trying to go for the young audience, I think.
    Nah, it's just that Oscars are very political. And their taste in movies is about as conservative as you can get.
    Boring melodramatic biopics about famous personalities and characters with psychological issues (but never "full retards" to quote a movie) are the way to go to be nominated. Add some black and white, one or two gimmicks, and be American (except for The Artist), and it's all good.
    But yeah. Nicolas Winding Refn. Wonder Woman. Make it happen (although I suspect that his choices in portraying Diana will make some fanboys rage.)
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Director What If: Peter Jackson as Wonder Woman Director
    Wonder Woman would walk everywhere, oh and you can expect a DVD with a 10 hour film on it.

This is the guy who took one of cinema's coolest monster flicks and turned it into a 24 hour film about an actress on an island with a couple of longing gazes into a giant ape's eyes. Also a film about a hobbit who fights a dragon with a bunch of dwarves into one of the most boring films I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-22-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Some say realistic I say unimaginative that don't like some escapism.
    Realism means allowing cynicism into the story. Then more skepticism comes in.

"Realism" simply means your story uses an internal logic that falls in line with how the world at large actually works. It means you treat your characters as actual characters, with emotional responses, thought processes, and desires, rather than as perfect (or non perfect) archetypes. It means the setting and the world you build maintain that internal logic consistently.

The first Superman movie had a hefty amount of "realism" in it. Metropolis looked and felt like a real city, with trash in the streets, hookers, pimps, and so on. Hell, Lois smoked! Superman himself was Superman through and through, with all the nobility and powers you would expect, but the world around him and his responses to events, were all cemented in reality and logical process.

People say the Nolan Bat films have too much realism. What, exactly, is real about microwave emitting WMD's, secret ninja clans, cold fusion nukes, rooftop jumping tanks, or electric gliding capes?

As for Jackson, I dont want any director, no matter how well regarded or skilled, on a project unless they believe in that project and have a solid vision for it. That said, I'd be interested in what Jackson would do with Diana, if he had an interest in taking her on. His skill isnt really debatable. Personal taste aside, the man knows how to make a good movie. He knows how to pull good performances out of his cast, knows how to bring a large, epic scope to things, and from what I understand, makes the most of his budget. But just because he did the LOTR films doesnt mean he would knock Wonder Woman out of the park.

Speaking of which, the people complaining about how slow those films are? Have you ever actually read the books? Tolkien was a genius who established the modern fantasy genre. Every single fantasy piece done in the last sixty years has him to thank for laying down the foundation. But those books are terribly dry, slow, and somehow manage to turn a desperate struggle for survival against all odds into a high school history class textbook. By comparison, Jackson's films are high speed, 150 mph car chases down LA highways.

Anyway, who directed Pan's Labyrinth? Del Toro? I'd add his name to the short list of directors who *might* be able to bring the right combination of elements to Wonder Woman to make her work on the big screen.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 12-22-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Please don't snipe at other posters :)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Wonder Woman would walk everywhere, oh and you can expect a DVD with a 10 hour film on it.

This is the guy who took one of cinema's coolest monster flicks and turned it into a 24 hour film about an actress on an island with a couple of longing gazes into a giant ape's eyes. Also a film about a hobbit who fights a dragon with a bunch of dwarves into one of the most boring films I've ever seen.
    When you look at it not all directors are perfect. For instance some of Nolan's films can be pretty dragging also and I tend to notice a pattern in his films that one character or another seem to have some kind of father issue. And sometimes there are some dialogues in Whedon's movies/shows that make me cringe, he also have the tendency to kill people of and sometimes it's for the sake of shock value. As one poster states if a director is dedicated enough he can make a pretty good film. If not then you have a Superman Returns or a Green Lantern kind of film
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Also comic companies have tried realism or realistic personalities. The problem is that when they would try to use that with Diana you have some comic fans that would complain that Wonder Woman is acting uncharacteristic. It's like when some comic fans wanted Superman to act less of a boyscout hero and have a flawed personality then the same people who requested that would complain that Superman is still boring or a douchebag. No matter what happens people are still going to complain cause sometimes the comic fanbase can be pretty unpleasable.

"sometimes"???

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    "sometimes"???
    I was trying to be nice

"Realism" simply means your story uses an internal logic that falls in line with how the world at large actually works. It means you treat your characters as actual characters, with emotional responses, thought processes, and desires, rather than as perfect (or non perfect) archetypes. It means the setting and the world you build maintain that internal logic consistently.
    Yes, it means letting in cynicism. "Heroes? There is no such thing."

This is why I'm not looking forward to the Man of Steel movie. The hardcore action and internal character conflicts don't rub well on me for a Superman story. I'd rather watch Dragonball for hardcore fighting. Superman is supposed to be a like Big Top event, where he pulls off something amazing with his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
    This is why I'm not looking forward to the Man of Steel movie. The hardcore action and internal character conflicts don't rub well on me for a Superman story. I'd rather watch Dragonball for hardcore fighting. Superman is supposed to be a like Big Top event, where he pulls off something amazing with his powers.
    Eh, there HAS been hardcore action in Superman comics.

Yeah, I'd rather watch Superman get in a balls to the wall fistfight with Zod than lift a really big rock, like in Superman Returns.

I mean, I know where you're at. And I hate a Superman who questions and doubts himself. But I have no problem with a story that explores the struggle of Clark finding his place in the world, or exploring the limits he imposes on himself. Stuff like that is fine, so long as he remains confident in his abilities and choices. But another movie without any kind of real physical threat or challenge? Pass.

Beyond that, the average moviegoer wants to see a big fistfight. They dont want to pay twenty bucks to watch Superman move heavy things and defuse situations with diplomacy. They want action. And Superman if nothing else, has always been a man of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Eh, there HAS been hardcore action in Superman comics.
    Those never interested me. Superman is a stumblebum. He's so powerful he doesn't need to know how to fight. That's the advantage of being so super. Freezing up a lake and lifting it without it breaking apart is ridiculous, but seeing it happen to stop a biohazardous fire is a spectacle.

Beyond that, the average moviegoer wants to see a big fistfight. They dont want to pay twenty bucks to watch Superman move heavy things and defuse situations with diplomacy. They want action. And Superman if nothing else, has always been a man of action.
    Pass. The man's a walking A-Bomb. Able to break the sound barrier. Can vaporize you with a single glance. I wouldn't want that guy near my country when he cuts loose.

At least in Dragonball they have those balls to fix everything afterwards. A big fight in Metropolis would put the city in construction for years. And if it can happen again, businesses and families would move out of fear.
    Last edited by Red Mask; 12-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Peter Jackson's film is slaying the competition at the box office. Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher is way below in earnings, but that's what you get with a 'realistic' hero who acts to bad ass in search of the truth.