Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Highlander

Has Matt explained why they came from an alien planet but couldn't fight in churches or graveyards?
    Until they decided it was ok to fight in churches or graveyards.

They had religion on Zeist as well. The three Chief Justices were also Priests. It was all religions. Season two's, "Unholy Alliance" stated that Immortals in addition to not going against other Immortals, they couldn't kill mortals. Hence, Duncan doesn't try for Horton in "Unholy Alliance" and waits for him to leave the graveyard in "Counterfeit", before he finally kills him for good. Up to that point, it was deemed tradition to not violate any religious location with their battles. "The Final Dimension" challenged this with the Buddhist Shrine fight, which ends with Kane shattering Connor's sword and backing off, after being spooked. Joe's reference about two Immortals fighting in Italy on holy ground and the possible connection to the eruption of a volcano in Pompeii was never conclusively proven. It later turned out to be a Watcher tale, used to scare one another. Then there was "Endgame" which did break the rule in the theatrical release, with the deaths in the Sanctuary. But the producers removed the reference to it being holy ground, for the home video release.

But there were never fights only holy ground outside of the third film. The fight in "Line Of Fire" ends after the priest yells at both Duncan and Kern to stop. But that was a fight that went into the church and didn't start inside of it. The fight in "Endgame" took place off of holy ground, as both Connor and Kell walk away from where the cemetery ends and fight on unconsecrated ground. Larca has his followers leave the church where they were stationed at, so that Larca could kill one of them. The fight between Duncan and Larca ends before they get to the church's grounds. The fight in "Avenging Angel" was not a church, but the site of the Knights Templar, which was not holy ground. That was a real location and it is historically said to not be holy ground. It's only depicted that way during the intro for seasons two and three, because of the imagery of Duncan with a sword in front of a cross. The Guardian is prevented from killing Reggie in "The Source" by Joe Dawson, though he is killed for it. Duncan never makes the effort to kill Methos afterwards, just threatens him.

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

Are we seriously trying to make sense of that movie? Thats like trying to build the Penrose stairs.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

Depending which version you see, Endgame (which was part of the series continuity, less so the movies) had Kell killing Immortals on holy ground with no negative effects.

Though an episode of the series had implied that the destruction of Pompeii resulted from two immortals fighting in a temple.

The Source is so bad and illogical it should be considered just a crazy dream that Duncan has. Otherwise, try to figure out why Joe Dawon has barely aged in a post-apocalyptic future where much of Europe is roamed by cannibal gangs, and how a planets get so close to Earth they literally fill the sky during an alignment.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Depending which version you see, Endgame (which was part of the series continuity, less so the movies) had Kell killing Immortals on holy ground with no negative effects.

Though an episode of the series had implied that the destruction of Pompeii resulted from two immortals fighting in a temple.

The Source is so bad and illogical it should be considered just a crazy dream that Duncan has. Otherwise, try to figure out why Joe Dawon has barely aged in a post-apocalyptic future where much of Europe is roamed by cannibal gangs, and how a planets get so close to Earth they literally fill the sky during an alignment.
    End game was a mash up of three scripts....... one of them I think was a gang of imortals breaking the rules and the results would of lead to end of all life on Earth and Connor and Duncan teams up to stop them.
    Last edited by DeadXMan; 01-01-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    Cyclops ad portas

My personal preference is the series and to pretend none of the movies happened except the first one and that it happens sometime after the series. I think series is the only way to go with highlander there is so much more to explore in the mythos that a remake won't cover.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

Myspace

Depending on how one sees it the series could be viewed as an alternate continuity of the movie or a spin off to the actual movie or a little bit of both. In the early episodes the series is viewed as a prequel to the first movie while in further episodes it shows that The Game didn't end when Connor killed The Kurgan as more Immortals still roam the earth.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Right, which was the theatrical cut. The fans complained and it was changed months later when it was released on VHS and DVD.

Also mentioned and as mentioned, it was a Watcher legend.

Joe has aged. It would have been different if season six had jumped ahead 20 years like it was originally planned. The rest, well, yeah, that was bad. That's when a bad director is given carte blanche.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan
    End game was a mash up of three scripts....... one of them I think was a gang of imortals breaking the rules and the results would of lead to end of all life on Earth and Connor and Duncan teams up to stop them.
    The first draft was by Gregory Widen, which had Connor and Ramirez in it. It's unclear if any of the series characters were in it. Connor does go into the Sanctuary, but not by choice. He escapes and is angry about his forced confinement. That's about the gist of what I know. This draft was dropped by Dimension for being too expensive. Widen is said to have written a script with Duncan in it, but not much is known. Widen was off the project by early 1998. There was a draft by Eric Brenet which had Connor and Duncan fighting over Kate and was based off another script. Then Bill Panzer and Gillian Horvath wrote the draft that served as the basic template for the final film. This was to be used in the fall of 1998, but production was delayed a year. Joel Soisson did a script draft which was used, but changes were made during production due to weather conditions and location availability. Much of the third act was re-written, but retained the same core concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato
    Depending on how one sees it the series could be viewed as an alternate continuity of the movie or a spin off to the actual movie or a little bit of both. In the early episodes the series is viewed as a prequel to the first movie while in further episodes it shows that The Game didn't end when Connor killed The Kurgan as more Immortals still roam the earth.
    The series was always intended as a follow-up to the first film. That's when it was written as the adventures of Connor MacLeod. Once the characters were set, the premise remained the same. Most fans acknowledge that there is a multiverse of stories.

-"Highlander" only. That's for fans who dislike the series and the sequels.

-"Highlander" and "Highlander 2" only. For those who liked the second film, regardless of which cut it is.

-"Highlander" and "Highlander: The Final Dimension" only. Same as above.

-"Highlander", "Highlander: The Series", "The Highlander" comics, audio dramas and novels, "Highlander: The Raven" and "Highlander: Endgame".

-"Highlander", "Highlander: The Series", "Highlander The Final Dimension", "The Highlander" comics, audio dramas and novels, "Highlander: The Raven" and "Highlander: Endgame".

-Same as the last one, but with "The Source" included.

-Same as above, but replaces "The Source" with the "Reunion" short film and the sketch from the last convention which refers to the fifth film as a dream.

-"Highlander: The Animated Series".

-"Highlander: The Search For Vengeance".

In the series scenario, that is essentially the case. Kurgan was hunting the Immortals whom he had fought on more than one occasion. Kurgan had fought Ramirez in Mongolia, China and Babylonia before their final fight. Connor and Kurgan had met in Scotland, on the Atlantic Ocean and in Russia, before their final fight in New York. Kurgan had ran into Kastagir in Africa in the 1700's. After taking out the Kurgan, Connor and Brenda moved to London and opened an antique store there. This was depicted in the first comic mini-series, "The Coldest War", which used the novelization of the first film's ending.
    Last edited by Mat001; 01-01-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    They had religion on Zeist as well. The three Chief Justices were also Priests. It was all religions. Season two's, "Unholy Alliance" stated that Immortals in addition to not going against other Immortals, they couldn't kill mortals. Hence, Duncan doesn't try for Horton in "Unholy Alliance" and waits for him to leave the graveyard in "Counterfeit", before he finally kills him for good. Up to that point, it was deemed tradition to not violate any religious location with their battles. "The Final Dimension" challenged this with the Buddhist Shrine fight, which ends with Kane shattering Connor's sword and backing off, after being spooked. Joe's reference about two Immortals fighting in Italy on holy ground and the possible connection to the eruption of a volcano in Pompeii was never conclusively proven. It later turned out to be a Watcher tale, used to scare one another. Then there was "Endgame" which did break the rule in the theatrical release, with the deaths in the Sanctuary. But the producers removed the reference to it being holy ground, for the home video release.

But there were never fights only holy ground outside of the third film. The fight in "Line Of Fire" ends after the priest yells at both Duncan and Kern to stop. But that was a fight that went into the church and didn't start inside of it. The fight in "Endgame" took place off of holy ground, as both Connor and Kell walk away from where the cemetery ends and fight on unconsecrated ground. Larca has his followers leave the church where they were stationed at, so that Larca could kill one of them. The fight between Duncan and Larca ends before they get to the church's grounds. The fight in "Avenging Angel" was not a church, but the site of the Knights Templar, which was not holy ground. That was a real location and it is historically said to not be holy ground. It's only depicted that way during the intro for seasons two and three, because of the imagery of Duncan with a sword in front of a cross. The Guardian is prevented from killing Reggie in "The Source" by Joe Dawson, though he is killed for it. Duncan never makes the effort to kill Methos afterwards, just threatens him.
    ...ok, that doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Like, i get that you explained it, i understand that, but the exsistance of an alien religion doesn't explain why they couldn't fight in a earth church or temple, nor does it explain why kurgan doesn't kill in the church in the first movie.
    Hes a bad guy after all.

I thought I heard somewhere that they were going to release a new film of it, or at least the script was in the works. I would really like a new Highlander film - one that isn't full of cliche acting and dialogue, one that is serious and dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    ...ok, that doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Like, i get that you explained it, i understand that, but the exsistance of an alien religion doesn't explain why they couldn't fight in a earth church or temple, nor does it explain why kurgan doesn't kill in the church in the first movie.
    Hes a bad guy after all.
    Making logic in the Highlander film? Completely missed the point

Quote Originally Posted by renton81 View Post
    I thought I heard somewhere that they were going to release a new film of it, or at least the script was in the works. I would really like a new Highlander film - one that isn't full of cliche acting and dialogue, one that is serious and dark.
    The one thing fans need is a bunch of Immortals brooding and moping.

I consider the first two films (well the 2nd cut of the part 2) and the series as one big story...Connor did appear in the pilot episodes
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I consider the first two films (well the 2nd cut of the part 2) and the series as one big story...Connor did appear in the pilot episodes
    Yeah Endgame wasn't that bad TBH. Although I still question why the hell Connor and Duncan couldn't have just teamed together and take on Kell? Also why the hell did Kell spare Duncan's Immortal wife in the director cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Yeah Endgame wasn't that bad TBH. Although I still question why the hell Connor and Duncan couldn't have just teamed together and take on Kell? Also why the hell did Kell spare Duncan's Immortal wife in the director cut?
    Connor was done, he was ready to die but he knew Duncan needed the extra juice to take out Kell
    Support your local roller derby league