Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Highlander

Default Highlander

Haven't noticed a forum about the series, movie or show, what's everyone's thoughts about it? I know the 2nd movie sucks so skip talking about that, but Highlander 1,3-5 and the series, and which is the better Highlander
    Duncan Macleod or Connor Macleod

I myself don't remember much about this saga, aside from the epic soundtrack by Queen!

I must say that Highlander 2 is a guilty pleasure of mine, I guess in part because of how reviled it is. I can honestly sit down for that movie with a bag of crisps and a soda, and be entertained for the duration of it. Connery alone steals the show as Ramirez.

I did see Spoony's reviews of these films, but I guess it's not fair to form an opinion based on something that's basically a form of Riffing. Suffice to say Spoony hated Endgame and The Source, probably more than Quickening.

I kinda sorta 'grew up' with Adrian Paul as Duncan McLeod, because we used to watch the show when I was little, but I have no memories of individual episodes, so I don't know if it counts for anything. I remember thinking it was pretty harsh that Richie had to die eventually after it was revealed that he too was an Immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I myself don't remember much about this saga, aside from the epic soundtrack by Queen!

I must say that Highlander 2 is a guilty pleasure of mine, I guess in part because of how reviled it is. I can honestly sit down for that movie with a bag of crisps and a soda, and be entertained for the duration of it. Connery alone steals the show as Ramirez.

I did see Spoony's reviews of these films, but I guess it's not fair to form an opinion based on something that's basically a form of Riffing. Suffice to say Spoony hated Endgame and The Source, probably more than Quickening.

I kinda sorta 'grew up' with Adrian Paul as Duncan McLeod, because we used to watch the show when I was little, but I have no memories of individual episodes, so I don't know if it counts for anything. I remember thinking it was pretty harsh that Richie had to die eventually after it was revealed that he too was an Immortal.
    I just started rewatching the tv series after I watched the first movie a few days ago. So far I'm loving it, had forgotten about everything, I haven't seen The Source yet but Endgame I didn't care for cause Connor died

I've just seen the first movie and some of the TV series. They're both great, I think it's too hard to choose.
    "And in the end, when all's said and done... good guys always win. The End."

--Fat Friar

The Raven

I refuse to accept anything called Highlander exists after the first movie.

Hmm, this franchise has been most abused since the first movie true enough.

I liked the tv show when i was a teen though. But i haven't watched it again since...

I liked, and still like the first movie.
    I like the basic story behind it, but feel everything other than that first movie was a let down.
    Tried the series on netflix but the acting is so friggen terrible i couldn't get past 2 episodes.
    And i think highlander 3 was at least decent, it was a lot like the first movie though.
    And the last one was one of the worst movies i've ever seen, so it was enjoyable in that way.

I watched Endgame solely because Edge was in it, and that turned out to be the best scene.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    I refuse to accept anything called Highlander exists after the first movie.
    There can be only one?

The funny thing is for the longest time my experience with Highlander was seeing a few episodes of the tv series here and there(which I found to not be that great). It wasn't until about a year ago I actually sat down and watched the entire first movie. I confess I only found the movie to be ok. I'd probably feel different if I'd been growing up at the time it came out..but it didn't come out until 1986 and I was only born in 85 so..yeah.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-21-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Is the remake (reportedly starring Ryan Reynolds) still going to be made?

highlander the tv series is both a favorite, but annoys me at the same time.

Adrianne Paul did a good job as duncan, but it was the supporting cast that kicks ass.

Darius
    Joe
    Amanda
    Methos
    Fitzcairn

were simply fantastic.

The problem was they figured that out in many ways the premise killed many a great character before they were fully developed.

and they had some amazing explorations of what it is to be immortal (kid immortal, mentally challenged immortal, immortal junky, etc).

worse, they got stuck in "head hack of the week" which took away from a lot of the development of a lot of potential villians.

the closest ones I can think of is horton (who, for a petty mortal, lasted surprisingly long), callus (who actually ran pretty well) and xavier st cloud (who they compensated for by having a lot of flashbacks after his death).

In many ways, I consider highlander the series the spiritual predecessors' of buffy the vampire slayer (tv show), due to light, presentation and even some of their premises.

the difference was buffy could use magic to develop the plot, but whenever highlander did so, it made things worse.

I was really looking forward to endgame, but cripse, talk about dropping the ball into the marinas trench
    Last edited by shades of eternity; 12-21-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    click here for some characters to use in rumbles

We need to apply the science of communication to the communication of science. - Preston Manning

No task too small ForeverTaskmaster's Avatar

I liked Highlander 1. Clancy Brown stole the show there. I totally forgot what a good villain he was in that movie.
    Highlander 2 meh
    Highlander 3 meh
    Highlander 4 ok.
    Highlander 5 I haven't seen.
    Highlander tv show I watched from time to time. I enjoyed it.
    Highlander the Raven I didn't watch.

Christopher Lambert was cool.
    Adrian Paul had an unbelievable charisma. I never understood why Hollywood didn't pick him up.

And looking at Highlander I wish they made an Eternal Warrior tv show. Ok, it reminds everyone of Highlander I think and it was probably based on it, but the Eternal Warrior concept is also very cool.

The way I look at Highlander is it's true canon ending was the original one. We actually saw what The Prize was and Connor lived happily ever after, pardon pun. The sequels, sans the later ones, was a good yarn but never captured the magic of the first movie.

The tv series was good in a expanded universe version of the original kind of way
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post

I know Spoony. He's just pissy in general.

That was the result of not having anything to do with him and the decision to use his death as a catalyst for season six.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy
    So far I'm loving it, had forgotten about everything, I haven't seen The Source yet but Endgame I didn't care for cause Connor died
    Don't even bother watching "The Source". It's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Tried the series on netflix but the acting is so friggen terrible i couldn't get past 2 episodes.
    It does get better.

And i think highlander 3 was at least decent, it was a lot like the first movie though.
    That's because the director chose to have the film remake many scenes of the first film on purpose. The film was initially much more original to begin with. But Panzer and Davis were busy supervising the series and didn't have as much input by the time filming began.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII
    Is the remake (reportedly starring Ryan Reynolds) still going to be made?
    The film is still in development hell. The director recently parted ways over creative differences. That seems to be the trend in recent years. Before, Panzer and Davis didn't have that problem. But after going to Lionsgate, it's gotten worse.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity
    The problem was they figured that out in many ways the premise killed many a great character before they were fully developed.

and they had some amazing explorations of what it is to be immortal (kid immortal, mentally challenged immortal, immortal junky, etc).

worse, they got stuck in "head hack of the week" which took away from a lot of the development of a lot of potential villians.
    The show was a syndication series. They were lucky to be on the air regularly. The show, like the movies, were more defined by the leading characters than the villains. Often they were lucky to get the person for eight days.

the closest ones I can think of is horton (who, for a petty mortal, lasted surprisingly long), callus (who actually ran pretty well) and xavier st cloud (who they compensated for by having a lot of flashbacks after his death).
    Kalas. There was also Kronos and Ahriman.

I was really looking forward to endgame, but cripse, talk about dropping the ball into the marinas trench
    The film was actually the best sequel in the bunch. It continued the story set forth in the first film and by using the series morality play, they could go further than the other films. The first film is great, but so much potential for Connor's long life is glazed over because it was the first and only meant to be a done in one film. The second film did get right with the idea of having a larger focus, so that it wasn't all about the Game. But it failed in that it strayed too far in the other direction. The third film was good, but it was too much like the first and there wasn't as much between Connor and Kane as there should have been. The fifth film went from having a completed script to a fragmented one, with a director who wasn't familiar with the franchise at all.

"Endgame", at least, got into the heart of what the Immortals were all about. The morality play is what makes it worth while.