Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Since there is no universal poll to determine each and every comic that comes out, why bother complaining over the opinions of others?
    It's bothersome to me, especially on message boards like this where we spout our opinions, when posters put in some websites critique--as if to say it must carry more weight than the opinions being expressed by us.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    It's bothersome to me, especially on message boards like this where we spout our opinions, when posters put in some websites critique--as if to say it must carry more weight than the opinions being expressed by us.
    All Wild_Child said was "Comic Vine gaved this 5 stars." I didn't see any implication that their opinion is any more definitive than anyone else's. It is a little more prominent than, say, my opinions--the website has a bigger megaphone than I do or than most individual fans do--and fans occasionally take an interest in whether books that they like are achieving "critical success," whatever that means. But of course, being visible doesn't make a reviewer right.

If you want, I'll balance the scales by going over to the ComicVine site and commenting that "Wagthedog gave this 0 stars." :)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    If you want, I'll balance the scales by going over to the ComicVine site and commenting that "Wagthedog gave this 0 stars." :)
    Or CBR only giving it 3 stars (dont get why, but thats me).

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    All Wild_Child said was "Comic Vine gaved this 5 stars." I didn't see any implication that their opinion is any more definitive than anyone else's. It is a little more prominent than, say, my opinions--the website has a bigger megaphone than I do or than most individual fans do--and fans occasionally take an interest in whether books that they like are achieving "critical success," whatever that means. But of course, being visible doesn't make a reviewer right.

It would be very hard for me to give a comic zero stars, including Azz's take on this character.

In this issue, more bad puns (I know some folks here think the puns are great), no real action except for a tease for next issue. Also, more gimmicky stuff like magic swords coming out of her 'cuffs'. Hey, I know, lets have her have this lasso which many people think is lame and not utilize ever (yes, I went extreme because she has technically used it at least once). And, we get more godly exposition in the first 5-6 pages which seems to be the recurring theme in her series so far. Less Diana again in this read.

No, not zero stars, probably would give it a 2 out of 5, but then again, what does it matter what I give it.
    Last edited by wagthedog; 12-21-2012 at 12:34 PM.

I've never understood the point of review about movies, books, comics, etc. Why do I need someone to tell me what level of enjoyment I should get from it or not. I'll save reading the reviews for when I buy a new car or refridgerator. I thoroughly enjoyed the issue and to me, my opinion is the only one that counts. But everyone else is welcome to their own and I won't argue with you.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Another stellar issue, even more so as "Ch-Chiang" is on art duty. A wonderful set-up of various plot points while steadily moving the story along.
    I, for one cannot wait for the...sure-to-be-hilarious-"MILFS take Manhattan" issue.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    Giving the swords a magical quality makes perfect sense. If not, they'd simply break when utilized on anyone with even minimal invulnerability.
    Huh. I thought from the start that they were an expression of her god power, and not just any ol' sword.

Really like this issue - the swords were awesome. I dont understand why people will accept a magical lasso that makes people say the truth, but not swords that magically pop out of her god-forged bracers? Also, Zola and Hera were quite amusing. Hera wondering around New York next issue could be hilarious.
    ಠ_ಠ

Newsarama gave it 8 out of 10 and seems their opinion is much like CBR's. While it's nice intros with art and stuff, this issue is really only going to be remembered for bringing in the new 52 Orion. Diana is not in it enough and not much happens to really drive anything forward to really make it a 5 star or 10 out of 10 issue.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post
    Really like this issue - the swords were awesome. I dont understand why people will accept a magical lasso that makes people say the truth, but not swords that magically pop out of her god-forged bracers?
    It's not so much a lack of acceptance. At least from another hand, I wouldn't have an issue with her bracers being able to summon magic swords. But it does seem to be backpedaling on the idea that the bracers, which she can remove at will, keep her undefined god powers from manifesting.

Also, Zola and Hera were quite amusing. Hera wondering around New York next issue could be hilarious.
    Azzarello is still writing this, right? I reckon rape will be involved.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

For quite a while now I've only been buying the book for the art. Chiang's great. The book really isn't about Wonder Woman. She's been a supporting cast member for a very long time. The other characters are all pretty thinly sketched, and there's nothing here that's all that interesting. The use of puns is truly annoying. The only thing making this book worthwhile for me is the art.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    It's not so much a lack of acceptance. At least from another hand, I wouldn't have an issue with her bracers being able to summon magic swords. But it does seem to be backpedaling on the idea that the bracers, which she can remove at will, keep her undefined god powers from manifesting.
    How is it backpedaling? Wielding a sword is considered a God Power now? I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman was a master swordsman before... Hephaestus clearly gave them an upgrade when he tinkered with them, which simply lets her summon a pair of swords (which I'm going to assume have some sort of magical/divine property about them ie they're not just regular old steel swords). Hardly much of a god power, and more of a function of the bracers themselves.

ಠ_ಠ

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post
    Really like this issue - the swords were awesome. I dont understand why people will accept a magical lasso that makes people say the truth, but not swords that magically pop out of her god-forged bracers?
    She has a magical lasso? Wow. When will she use that?

[yes, sarcasm]
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Attempted, I think. But yes, that was a scenario I saw as a strong possiblility for Hera.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    She has a magical lasso? Wow. When will she use that?

[yes, sarcasm]
    Maybe because a lasso is not a weapon, she wouldn't use it much to fight with? Someone wielding a lasso doesn't cut a very imposing figure... now put two swords in their hands, and there's a warrior you might not want to mess with. And Wonder Woman is a warrior, not a cowboy (who btw don't even call them lassos... they just call it a rope), so she should be using actual weapons in combat.
    Last edited by Agent_Dark; 12-22-2012 at 03:43 AM.
    ಠ_ಠ