Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 111
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,873

    Default REVIEW: Wonder Woman, #15

    Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang bring Orion of the New Gods back this month in "Wonder Woman" #15 which naturally leads to Orion throwing down with Diana.


    Full review here.

  2. #2
    Yoda's true Master. Darth Twiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Not digging the swords popping out the bracelets thing for WW.
    I know the Power of the Dark Side.

  3. #3
    Senior Member wagthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Twiggy View Post
    Not digging the swords popping out the bracelets thing for WW.
    Yeah, such a gimmicky thing to throw in. We have 'god-mode' to rescue her out of situations when the writer boxes himself in, now we got magical swords that pop out of thin air. Is this supposed to be a cool factor that I am not getting? She is powerful enough without swords, but now she needs them in situations where her 'cuffs' are now channeling her strength? I just don't think Azz properly thought this out as it will create inconsistencies in the future, as well as other writers on other books neglecting to use these new powers of hers.

  4. #4
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Yeah, such a gimmicky thing to throw in. We have 'god-mode' to rescue her out of situations when the writer boxes himself in, now we got magical swords that pop out of thin air. Is this supposed to be a cool factor that I am not getting? She is powerful enough without swords, but now she needs them in situations where her 'cuffs' are now channeling her strength? I just don't think Azz properly thought this out as it will create inconsistencies in the future, as well as other writers on other books neglecting to use these new powers of hers.
    My own review is this - if you want a decent amount of WW in the WW book, leave this one in your box for a month and pick it up next month when issue #16 is out as well.

    And according to everything I have read Azzarello doesnt give a damn what anyone else is doing or what they might do. He's telling his story - period.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  5. #5
    Senior Member wagthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    My own review is this - if you want a decent amount of WW in the WW book, leave this one in your box for a month and pick it up next month when issue #16 is out as well.

    And according to everything I have read Azzarello doesnt give a damn what anyone else is doing or what they might do. He's telling his story - period.
    I already predicted in another thread that most likely the image of Orion jumping down on Diana with her swords drawn would be to be concluded in the next issue. As Rob Olivera said, probably another 5-7 minute read, but not before we get more Godly exposition in the first 5-6 pages.

  6. #6
    Yoda's true Master. Darth Twiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Yeah, such a gimmicky thing to throw in. We have 'god-mode' to rescue her out of situations when the writer boxes himself in, now we got magical swords that pop out of thin air. Is this supposed to be a cool factor that I am not getting? She is powerful enough without swords, but now she needs them in situations where her 'cuffs' are now channeling her strength? I just don't think Azz properly thought this out as it will create inconsistencies in the future, as well as other writers on other books neglecting to use these new powers of hers.
    I actually wasnt so bugged by the "god-mode" thing but this swords appear from her bracelets is just WAY to silly.
    I know the Power of the Dark Side.

  7. #7
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,396

    Default

    I find it amusing that Azzarello is apparently retconning himself already. I'd imagine he had a serious conversation with somebody about the 'cuffs' business. So we change them. You almost feel sorry for him, stumbling blindly like he does.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

  8. #8

    Default

    I love what Brian has done for Wonder Woman after all the crap writers have thrown on her since George Perez left.

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I find it amusing that Azzarello is apparently retconning himself already. I'd imagine he had a serious conversation with somebody about the 'cuffs' business. So we change them. You almost feel sorry for him, stumbling blindly like he does.
    I imagine he knows what he is doing and that Hephastus' appearance has a reason behind it.

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And according to everything I have read Azzarello doesnt give a damn what anyone else is doing or what they might do. He's telling his story - period.
    And his story is stronger for it, which is unlike so many of the Bat-books that decide they want in on Snyders latest event.

  10. #10
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    Comic Vine gaved this 5 stars.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wagthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Comic Vine gaved this 5 stars.
    That must mean it was a perfect issue, no flaws. Why have opinions when Comic Vine gives it a rating

  12. #12
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I find it amusing that Azzarello is apparently retconning himself already. I'd imagine he had a serious conversation with somebody about the 'cuffs' business. So we change them. You almost feel sorry for him, stumbling blindly like he does.
    What's the retcon? Heph's tinkering? Seems like that would only be a retcon if it affected the cuffs in the past as well as the present and future. As far as I can tell, there's nothing retroactive about the changes to the cuffs in this issue. And why would the editors or anyone else have wanted him to add more powers to the cuffs? It's pretty clear--from the title "The Burden of God," from Lennox's comment about the danger of Zeus' legacy "as you know," and from Milan's comment that his ability is his curse--that the propensity of power to get out of control is central to this issue, not something thrown in the please the editor. The cuffs, as we pretty much saw in 12, are a mechanism for keeping "the burden of [a] god" under control. This was nicely foreshadowed in #1, when the cuffless Diana sees how she has frightened Zola and has to rein herself in. I see a longterm plan here, not blind stumbling (well, except Milan's). You don't like the plan, and who knows? When all is said and done, maybe I won't think it was a good plan. But I'm pretty sure there is a plan.
    Last edited by slvn; 12-21-2012 at 07:25 AM.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    That must mean it was a perfect issue, no flaws. Why have opinions when Comic Vine gives it a rating
    Since there is no universal poll to determine each and every comic that comes out, why bother complaining over the opinions of others?

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Giving the swords a magical quality makes perfect sense. If not, they'd simply break when utilized on anyone with even minimal invulnerability.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I find it amusing that Azzarello is apparently retconning himself already. I'd imagine he had a serious conversation with somebody about the 'cuffs' business. So we change them. You almost feel sorry for him, stumbling blindly like he does.
    Lol. Someone needs to look up what retcon actually means.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •