Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batalia View Post
    For knowledgeable superman fans:

I'm trying to find the 5 issue Lex luthor: man of steel graphic novel. The one where we see the world and superman from Lex pov. I can't find it in this sale or on comixology. Second, is there superman/lex luthor or lex luthor heavy issues on this sale. I love Lex, especially the animated or smallvile take on the character. So, if any of these comics on sale feature that, I would appreciate recommendations.
    For villains month they put a bunch of Lex Luthor stuff on sale on Comixology. I don't know if the sale is still there. You would want Lex Luthor: Man of Steel as well as Action Comics the Black Ring.

This sale is bullshit, its just the same Superman 101 stuff on sale again nothing "new", usually when they do these sales they come with heaps of "new" issues.

FFS Batman has had a 101, 201, Catwoman, Nightwing, Bane ect, All of Knightfall, most of Knightquest released in these sales, with Superman all we've got is the weakest part of the the death/returns story.

I'm a Junior Member! Kilgore Trout's Avatar

Here, I gotta sale...

It's a complete set of Superman comics, series 2 with all 4 titles (5 with Superman: Man of Tomorrow) starting from the 1st issues until FOR TOMORROW, which ended my regular Superman reading... That's Superman, Action, MOS & Adventures Of Superman... They've all basically been read once and put away (dry)...

I want them to go to a real Superman fan, someone who LOVES Superman, and is the reason I haven't taken them to a kids hospital or some-such-thing...

They could be yours for the taking... They are boarded and boxed in my basement waiting for Prince Charming to come pick them up... The catch: I'm not willing to do anything more than unlock the basement and point at the boxes... I won't ship, mail or deliver - Don't ask.

The price? A copy of Absolute All Star Superman.

Oh, and I live in Oakland, the happiest City on Earth!
    I live in America. It's not a country, it's a business.

Lots of good stuff in this sale:

All Star Superman
    Superman: Birthright
    Red Son
    Kingdom Come
    Richard Donner's run on Action
    Jim Lee's run on Superman
    Action #1 and various other important golden/silver age issues.

I spent about $60 total.

I already had the Action run. What surprised me is I already had Kingdom Come. I was like, when did I buy that? This is a sign to me that I have too many comics. The .99 sales are hard to pass up, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Lots of good stuff in this sale:

Jim Lee's run on Superman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Quote Originally Posted by christinereed View Post
    I already had the Action run. What surprised me is I already had Kingdom Come. I was like, when did I buy that? This is a sign to me that I have too many comics. The .99 sales are hard to pass up, though.
    or that you got them when they had the exact same sale earlier, why no Superman 201 sale?

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    It's useful to know that folks aren't getting the whole comic--only part of it. But I was asking what kind of image do you get for the older comics.
    Well, if you want an answer to your question the best way to get it is to go to comixology, create an account, and get a free comic. there are no hidden charges anywhere.

From my perspective, though, as a 50 year old reader who grew up loving the pulp pages and mourned the garish color of the "white paper" breakthrough of the 80s, I can't imagine buying anything but digital anymore. The interface is slick, the image quality is top notch even at very high screen resolutions, and I've always got my comics with me, which makes the commute a little more bearable. The only reason I can think of to prefer a hard copy is for market speculation, and I seriously doubt there will be many comics any more exploding in value.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comix2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	106139
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Wolf View Post
    or that you got them when they had the exact same sale earlier, why no Superman 201 sale?
    You're probably right there.

What comics would you recommend to someone who has only read the first ten issues of NuDC's Action Comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Sissel View Post
    What comics would you recommend to someone who has only read the first ten issues of NuDC's Action Comics?
    Definitely All-Star Superman.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Sissel View Post
    Yeah, All-Star is great, but it requires at least a passing familiarity with Silver Age Superman. Speaking of which, you can't do better than "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", Allan Moore's farewell tribute to Silver/Bronze Age Supes. It's in Superman #423 and Action #583.

I highly recommend Red Son, which is an Elseworlds story of what would have happened if Superman had landed in Soviet Russia instead of Kansas. It's one of the best Superman stories ever, requires no other knowledge of DC continuity (though you see what would have happened to other DC characters in this version) and is cheap at only three (extra-long) issues! It's a great deal!

I'd also suggest Kingdom Come, which is yet another alternate version of Superman, this time an older Superman in world that's turned against super heroes. It's all painted by Alex Ross, which some people don't like, but I adore. If you like the art on the covers and don't mind a less cheerful Superman, you should get it.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    It's useful to know that folks aren't getting the whole comic--only part of it. But I was asking what kind of image do you get for the older comics. I understand that newer comics can use the digital files that already exist to simply upload the pages from the original comic. But in the case of older comics where digital technology never existed--they would either have to create those digital files (create CMYK files--or use the same that were prepared for Archives and Chronicls) or they would have to use scans. That then leads to further questions about the integrity of the image. If they are reconstructing the comics--what is the level of fidelity to the line work and colours of the original comic? If they are scanning--are they scanning the originals (and not some previous fascsimile--like Famous First Editions), what is the condition of the original (a cheaper, torn and yellowed copy or a near mint copy), and how much has the scan been cleaned up? Or are they doing a little of both--using some reconstructed art and some scans?

I'd like to understand what the consumer is actually seeing when they get these comics. Are they seeing the genuine article or a fuzzy approximation of it?
    I wish I knew the complete answer to this. It doesn't look like scans, and I'd assume they're using existing files. I seem to recall that there were some minor differences in lines and coloring between the Comixology version and the Chronicles for Action #1, but I don't own Chronicles and it was some time ago that I compared them. In any event, they look great. Even if you don't want to sign up for an account, there are free previews of the first few pages of most comics that should give you an idea of what you're getting.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm buying all of them! :)