Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Well, what comics are you already considering dropping and why? While I expect to see a darker, more violent Spidey. I don't expect to see the same emotionally driven, vengeful Spidey that was present in Back in Black.

Slott is writing, so the same quality goes on, and I'm a fan of Slott's Spider-Man
    I know I won't bother with it not being Peter
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    I'm A Spider-man Fan At Heart and really am in a way interested in the upcoming superior spider-man series unfortunately my pull list does have it's limits so i was wondering if anyone could either tell me what comic i should drop to make room for it or if you don't think any of them are really worth kicking to the curb then hype it up because i want to read spider-man like i used to but too many new comics are coming out and i need some reassurance on this one
    Best thing to do is give it a quick read in the store and then decide.

It comes out like 12 times a month, just wait for the TPB and by then youll know if its crap or not!

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    i disagree. a quick read serves you no good. Get on the CBR main page and look at a preview of the issue. If that grabs your attention.... go pick up the book. perhaps flip through it to see if the art is to your stance but reading it fast wont gain you any more incite than reading the preview at a normal pace.

I for one am not especially excited for Superior, however I'm conflicted because I like Slott's Spider-man. I will probably jump on here, read what fans WHO HAVE ACTUALLY READ THE BOOK have to say, and then make my decision. Right now I'm deciding between Scarlet Spider and Superior Spider-man...I won't be picking up both.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    i disagree. a quick read serves you no good. Get on the CBR main page and look at a preview of the issue. If that grabs your attention.... go pick up the book. perhaps flip through it to see if the art is to your stance but reading it fast wont gain you any more incite than reading the preview at a normal pace.
    The preview is a good idea, but isn't the price of this comic going to be 3.99? If he buys it and doesn't like it he's out 3.99 and if he mentions that he doesn't like it here then someone will ask why he bought it. I'd say preview and then skim and then decide. Or perhaps preview, read review and then skim.

The preview is a good idea, but isn't the price of this comic going to be 3.99? If he buys it and doesn't like it he's out 3.99 and if he mentions that he doesn't like it here then someone will ask why he bought it. I'd say preview and then skim and then decide. Or perhaps preview, read review and then skim.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to ask him to wager 3.99 on whether or not he'll like the comic. Every time I buy a comic (or movie ticket, or book or DVD), I'm gambling that I'll enjoy the product enough to warrant my purchase. Sometimes, you're out 3.99.

Veteran Member

Only take Mark S.' advice if you want to screw over your store owner. Most of them hate this kind of behavior and it's unfair to the risk they take.

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by neverender View Post
    You shouldn't turn to SSM, it's Marvels latest gimmick. Wait a year when ASM comes back!
    Spidey himself was a gimmick in a cancelled comic.

Every super hero is a gimmick when you get right down to it.

SW

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    I don't think it's unreasonable to ask him to wager 3.99 on whether or not he'll like the comic. Every time I buy a comic (or movie ticket, or book or DVD), I'm gambling that I'll enjoy the product enough to warrant my purchase. Sometimes, you're out 3.99.
    Yea, but I think you should hedge your bet with something completely un-known.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Id say if hes not willing to part with $4 based on the preview alone and that if he feels that should he hate it that the $4 was a waste that he shouldnt bother to try it out as his money is better spent on something he likes.... a sure thing if you will.

It really comes down to your value placed on $4. If thats a lot to you for whatever reason, then I would not part with it on a chance. Its like gambling, if blowing the money win or lose isnt something you are comfortable with.... dont gamble.

Likewise, skimming it in a store seems so shady and as wacker points out, you are screwing your local comic shop over.

The curious one.

The guy behind the counter at my lcs does not mind if I do it sometimes. I don't do it with every title I pick up, but I do skim though new titles quickly and that can form the basis of my decision. Marceline and the Scream Queens was one I had to skim through. I usually do it with indy titles who don't have previews and reviews one them are hard to find. 4.00 is a lot for me these days. My situation is not dire but I have be careful because what I have won't last forever and there nothing on the horizon to replace it. I pick up Marceline or Masks and buy them, I pick up Captain Marvel 8 and put it back. As I said the guy behind the counter doesn't mind. Since this is going to be a completely new Spiderman concept I say be careful unless you do have the money to throw away.

Veteran Member

The guy behind the counter at my lcs does not mind if I do it sometimes.
    Yes he does. You're fooling yourself or at the very least you just don't knoe when someone is just trying to be polite.

These comic store owners run a very tight margin business and work their butts off daily and for you to steal what they're selling is just wrong...even if he says it's okay just because he doesn't want to lose you as a customer.

It's no different a theft than people who tell themselves it's okay to pirate a comic.

Basically just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean it's to be done.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Spidey himself was a gimmick in a cancelled comic.

Every super hero is a gimmick when you get right down to it.

SW
    I've learned since I started reading comics almost two years ago that everything the big 2 puts out is a gimmick these days, but I still love the characters enough to support the titles they're in.

What I don't get this past year especially with the New 52 and now with Marvel Now, is why don't Marvel or DC want a book to reach #1000 issues? Why start it over at #1? All these books being put back to #1 is the biggest gimmick of all, it's not the superheroes that are the gimmick...
    Last edited by neverender; 12-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Pull-list: Action Comics, Batman, Superior Spider-Man, Flash, Daredevil, Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer, Thor: God of Thunder