Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm really trying to like this. I really am. However, between the art and this wacky new direction, this is not the Captain America book I've followed and loved so much for the past several years. I may drop Cap for the first time EVER and I'm really bummed about it. Crapsticks.

Is anybody else getting a Cable and Hope saga feeling about this?
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Is anybody else getting a Cable and Hope saga feeling about this?
    Because they're both swiping liberally from Lonewolf and Cub, among other things. Although fairly big narrative shift, if only because Cap has all the captions to himself, whereas Hope kind of took over the Cable book.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

It seems Remender wants to explore what builds a character like Captain America's in hopeless surroundings. This theme is present both in the flashbacks and in the present day where Cap is parenting Ian.

So Ridiculously Good. The end cut was a real heart stopper. The thought boxes are also used perfectly, setting and driving the pace of the book. I do feel bad for people who were in love with other versions of Cap though, because this is a wild diversion from the recent direction of the character - though not out of character, imho.

This is my favorite book of the relaunch, for sure.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    I do feel bad for people who were in love with other versions of Cap though, because this is a wild diversion from the recent direction of the character - though not out of character, imho.
    No more so than Brubaker's was. It's all within the acceptable range for the character. Hell, despite some uproars elsewhere, Remender even made sure to throw in a "they're not really alive" before he'd go no mercy on the Not Parademons.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

I loved Brubaker's Cap, but this is just as good (or almost as good, too early to tell) but in a completely different direction that still fits the character. What more could I ask for?

And JRJR can stay as long as Dean White does.

Quote Originally Posted by EricDraven View Post
    I'm really trying to like this. I really am. However, between the art and this wacky new direction, this is not the Captain America book I've followed and loved so much for the past several years. I may drop Cap for the first time EVER and I'm really bummed about it. Crapsticks.
    Hang in there! I was rather taken back by this new direction too. I'd gotten so used to Bru's little world that it defined how I saw Cap now.

If you tilt your head sideways and squint a bit, you'll see that Steve is still Steve and that this is just an arc.

Reading this alongside Remender's Uncanny Avengers you realize that he has a firm grasp on the character. Trust that it's going to be just fine.

And: Arnim Zola! There is just so much to love about him! :D
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Two issues in and I like the new direction. The fact that Cap has already been there in Z now for a year is wild. This book is showing you why people love Cap and will follow him until the ends of the earth. Just an interesting take on Cap. I love when Cap jumped sheild first into the aliens face. Steve has that never say die attitude and Remender is bringing that out big time. Looking forward to next issue.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EricDraven View Post
    Well, this isn't a new direction exactly. It actually mirrors (quite closely) the beginning of the last volume of Captain America (with Johnny Jupiter e.t.c)

It's just a story arc that will most likely end with Captain America right back on Earth.

That being said, you will probably see a lot less "espionage/spy" stuff that was prevalent in the Brubaker era. Remender doesn't really do too much of that stuff.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

I tend to follow Remenders other title so got this one as well and quite enjoy it. Though the alternate dimension thing makes it... difficult to invest in the surroundings but its a way of ensuring Cap's alone on this journey. Or, as alone as possible. Can't wait for more Zola though as I like the idea of Remender focusing on the villain a bit and his Mutates are very alien and odd to the point that its fun to see this strange civilization he created. Part of me also hopes that Remender goes by a happy ending with Cap and Sharon where we see the kid adopted by them or something. Don't know why but that just went into my head when I saw the boy this issue and recalled about the marriage thing Sharon wants.

Also, wonder how long this Dimension Z arc runs as I liked the Green Skull and hoped to see him again.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Liking it so far, really in love with the off-world story they are doing. The one complaint I have is that it's one issue a month. Books like Thor, Iron Man, and X-men Legacy are already up to issue 3-4. It just feels like the story is moving a little slow.
    "Some people look to the past for answers. I look to the future for solutions." --- SJH

Quote Originally Posted by NYAvenger15 View Post
    Liking it so far, really in love with the off-world story they are doing. The one complaint I have is that it's one issue a month. Books like Thor, Iron Man, and X-men Legacy are already up to issue 3-4. It just feels like the story is moving a little slow.

I actually like that aspect. Coupled with the whole alternate dimension thing, it really helps the book feel like it is on its own, separate from everything else going on.

I'm really liking this series so far but it's also RR and everything I've rea by him has been awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    I loved Brubaker's Cap, but this is just as good (or almost as good, too early to tell) but in a completely different direction that still fits the character. What more could I ask for?

And JRJR can stay as long as Dean White does.
    Here, here, on the last part.

The thing I appreciate is how Remender wants to get deep into the person of Steve Rogers, and using layering to show it. Most arcs on Cap go straight into the action and show what a bad ass Captain America is. Brubaker changed that, by relegating Rogers to a bit player in his own book, and made the plot about Bucky's return the driving force of the book, and eventually, getting rid of Cap altogether. I liked that it was done in a round about sort of way, because it told the story of Cap from another angle. The Angle of showing how his eternal side kick Bucky Barnes took the Captain America persona and told the story of how deficient James was at the job, pointing to what makes Steve so great.

Now Remender is taking another tack and showing us why Steve Rogers is what he is. We saw a similar thing done for the Red Skull in a series from Brubaker, and the story was supposed to give us an insight into the circumstances of Johanns up bringing that led to him having the inclinations of the Red Skull. But you always saw that he was like this from when he was a kid. Any kid under the same circumstances as Johann would have turned out fine, but he was always the Red Skull.

Remender appears to be showing something similar in Steve Rogers. No matter what life throws at Steve he was always going to be Captain America because he was born that way. So you juxtapose the Red Skull against Captain America, and you see it's really just goodness and evil being shown in human form. Just because you are brutalized, doesn't mean you have the preponderance for evil.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-21-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.