Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

this book just has a feel that its going to be completely epic... By issue 9 people are gonna be hanging on to the awesomeness that's hickmans Avengers..

I personally love the flashback scenes that give the backstory, while the main arc is going on.... That particular style of writing is something I love, other genres like Lost and Nolans Batman Begins uses this technique... Bendis did this as well...

and its only 2 issues in, how people have any complaints about this title is beyond me.

The villain's not particularly interesting, and Cannonball/Sunspot were written horribly. I liked the Carol/Jessica scene, though, and the art was spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon View Post
    I've long suspected that the REAL motive behind decompression is more insidious. It seems to me that it allows a writer to take a fairly basic premise (like the current one which we've seen before in similar guises) and streeetch it out almost to the point of snapping. Even if you like this sort of thing, you have to admit that it gives creators a pass on having to come up with new ideas on a frequent basis.

Another point is that you're getting less content. Not as in pages, but in story lines and subplots. So, basically, you're paying far more than ever before for fewer ideas and concepts.
    I agree. If these writers were asked to retell the first 100 issues of the Lee and Kirby FF run, they would retell those stories i 300 issues and then get praised for having the longest run on FF. Just more proof (IMO) that the current emperors are butt naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kunt View Post
    this book just has a feel that its going to be completely epic... By issue 9 people are gonna be hanging on to the awesomeness that's hickmans Avengers..
    Wanna put some money on that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kunt View Post

Clark Kunt? lolwut?

Quote Originally Posted by Relevant PuertoRican Superhero View Post
    Anyone else notice that the first species "selected" by Aleph for evolution were the Shi At? Also interesting because the Imperial Guard Guard are supposed to be "broken" at some point as foretold in the first issue.
    This can be an interesting turn of events if true and comes into fruition.
    Organic Underground Hip Hop
    http://boombits.bandcamp.com
    Http://soundcloud.com/boombits
    @boom_bits (IG & Twitter)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Do I wanna wager money with a complete stranger over the internet, in which im never gonna see said person in real life... No thanks... doesn't change the fact Hickmans run is gonna be amazing.

I'm having a hard time following the book; specifically, I'm still not clear as to why Shang and the Falcon are on the team,or why Cap wanted them. And I'm still waiting to find out the origins of the new recruits.

I don't think I'm going to carry on with this. The art is amazing, but I feel the story is a bit boring. And some characters (Sunspot and Cannonball) were horribly written in issue #2. It almost feels as though I'm doubting dropping it because of speculation by complete strangers that it will be epic and the best book Marvel currently publishes.

Hope people who read it enjoy it though
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    I will bet you fifteen Spacebucks.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I'm having a hard time following the book; specifically, I'm still not clear as to why Shang and the Falcon are on the team,or why Cap wanted them. And I'm still waiting to find out the origins of the new recruits.
    Eh.
    On a large team, you want diversity of powersets, skillsets and power levels.

You also want, both by in-universe rationale and narratively, more stable personas to serve as a steady baseline around which the more fractious ones can work.

They've got the whole cosmic-grade heavy-hitters category pretty much covered.

They've got middle-weights covered.

Sam and Shang-chi are eminently qualified to help fill out the Street-Level category (which should probably be the most numerous, considering that the threats at that tier are more numerous and frequent).

Sam specifically has a ton of history with (especially) Cap and the Avengers, and it makes sense that he would be there, particularly if Cap's doing a lot of the roster-building.

Shang is probably the most skilled melee combatant in the MU, which is definitely a useful skill.

Neither of them raises any warning flags, like Hulk and potentially the new powerhouses would. Or like the two Spy-ladies would.

I don't see why their presence should be an issue.

(There's also the matter that this is meant to be a Diverse team. Sam is one of Marvel's oldest and most enduring black characters and someone who hasn't been afforded the prominence that his pedigree perhaps suggests, making this an ideal juncture to change that. Shang is as good a pick for an asiatic team member - although, imho, a team that "Looks more like the world" should have more than one - as you can find given Marvel's and comics in general's relative paucity of such.)

Issues 4, 5 and 6 are solicited as giving the backstories on Hyperion, Smasher and Captain Universe, respectively.
    Last edited by PupsOfWar; 12-26-2012 at 11:31 PM.

This series has only been through 2 issues and it is already the most anticipated series for me. I notice that some people are complaining about it, but I think the characters are portrayed great and you can tell he's building to something big

This series is awful!! I read it and felt like I had actually wasted precious lifetime. It was that bad. I don't get it, Hickman is usually great.
    Current Favorites:: The Walking Dead, Batman, Thief of Thieves, Saga, Revival, Animal Man, Avengers Arena, Justice League, All-New Xmen, Uncanny Avengers, AVX,

That seems an overly-strong reaction. Perhaps you should elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by earth2sara View Post
    This series is awful!! I read it and felt like I had actually wasted precious lifetime. It was that bad. I don't get it, Hickman is usually great.
    lol this is like complaining that the first two minutes of a movie were piss poor, ergo the movie sucks. I can understand if you're not convinced/interested enough to stick around... but the series? What series? You mean the two setup issues we've seen so far, that were admittedly setup?
    sunspot. magik. magma. kid loki. kitty. karma. frost.
    Deviantart

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by earth2sara View Post
    2 issues in and this guy is sold on the book already... laughable