Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Avengers #2

"Avengers" #2 gives readers exactly what they want: more Avengers, courtesy Jonathan Hickman and artist Jerome Opeña.

Full article here.

More Avengers!?! Crossing fingers. Hoping Puck and Galactus finally make the cut.

It's pretty clear this series is going to be slow burn and a fulfilling story won't rear it's head until 4 or 5 issues in. That said, I loved it. I'm a sucker for mythology in my comics.

I reviewed it with pictures at the link in my signature if anyone is interested.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I'm puzzled by Hickman's use of Hyperion. He's on the team, but everything that led to him being there is off-panel. Meanwhile, we get a pointless discussion between Steve/Tony and Jessica/Carol about rejoining.

I, for one, was much more curious about how they talked Hyperion into joining. Doesn't he belong to another earth? Isn't he already on another team? What does the Squadron think of him joining the Avengers?

Of all the things for Hickman to consider too insignificant to go into any detail about, I would not have added "get Hyperion to join" on that list.

Didn't like it as much as #1 but still love the overall story. Nitpicks: Needed more action. But we saw the recruitment drive instead which was fine. My favorite was Cannonball and Sunspot...not a huge X fan overall but I always liked those two guys. Agree with the above...um...yeah Jessica you are an Avenger. You've been on every Avengers cover for the last 8 years. Same with Carol.

Hyperion and Captain Universe are both wild cards. Suprised Cap would allow that. Two omega level beings with a history of not being very stable. After Wanda and the Phoenix coming to Earth? Strange. From a story stand point...sure it's fun....I'm excited about them...and even Smasher. Just from a Cap & Tony standpoint? Doesn't make sense. But neither did Civil War or New Avengers (Tony: We need Ares. He's Thor and Wolverine combined...ugh.)

Ok, i am complaining way too much for an issue that was pretty good. Love this series so far.

Nothing. Happened.
    P-Man "Does no one remember the NES? Flashing grey screens? Hmmm? Cartridges you had to blow so much that you expected there to be a fifty dollar bill on the nightstand in the morning?"

Wannabe "It worked better if you slightly licked the game. I know it sounds odd, but it works really really well. At least on N64."

Quote Originally Posted by meethraa View Post
    Nothing. Happened.
    A bunch of stuff happened last issue and some people complained that they didn't understand any of the backstory and it moved too quick for them.

This was an issue for those people.
    Captain Universe is not Monica Rambeau. Monica Rambeau is not in Avengers.

Hm. Hickman proved on Fantastic Four that he knows the MU pretty well, so I have to assume he's not totally ignoring all the universal backstory around the Celestials. But these new guys don't play well within that backstory...

I didn't feel it was skipped for insignificance but the opposite. From Hyperion's history and an image in issue #1 showing him (if I recall right) I got the impression his joining would be a larger story so best left to an issue with more room for it.

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Hyperion, Smasher and Captain Universe will have their backstories take place in their own issues.

Hyperion will be #4, Smasher will be #5 and Captain Universe will be #6.

#5 will also feature the breaking of the Imperial Guard on the Dead Moon, which is one of the events foretold in the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Hyperion, Smasher and Captain Universe will have their backstories take place in their own issues.

Hyperion will be #4, Smasher will be #5 and Captain Universe will be #6.

#5 will also feature the breaking of the Imperial Guard on the Dead Moon, which is one of the events foretold in the first issue.
    I've been a Bendis "supporter" throughout all the criticism of his decompressed storytelling, but that trend got old really fast. We might have the whole team by issue six? And at least three issues will be an extended version of a panel-long recruitment scene? No thanks. These cats are milking it for every cent and it's feeling too much like a formula rather than actual in-depth storytelling.
    P-Man "Does no one remember the NES? Flashing grey screens? Hmmm? Cartridges you had to blow so much that you expected there to be a fifty dollar bill on the nightstand in the morning?"

Wannabe "It worked better if you slightly licked the game. I know it sounds odd, but it works really really well. At least on N64."

I've been a Bendis "supporter" throughout all the criticism of his decompressed storytelling, but that trend got old really fast. We might have the whole team by issue six? And at least three issues will be an extended version of a panel-long recruitment scene? No thanks. These cats are milking it for every cent and it's feeling too much like a formula rather than actual in-depth storytelling.
    This is just stupid. The whole team was together on the last page of issue 1. The whole team was together working on the quinjet in issue 2. The whole team will be together and wailing on the villains in issue 3.
    Captain Universe is not Monica Rambeau. Monica Rambeau is not in Avengers.

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

The full team was already assembled in the end of the first issue and they're going to Mars in issue 2. So far, the issues have been split between the recruiting of the various Avengers and the fight against The Garden.

People really need to realize that the days of Kirby/Lee-style comic book storytelling are over. We've moved into an era where storytelling is more granular, more in-depth and as a result, more decompressed. It's a fact. And if it's a fact you don't like, then move on. There are plenty of reprints from the days of comic pages being dominated by captions and word/thought balloons. Read those and shut up.
    If this were the gospel truth, your bushes would be on fire. - Warren Ellis

Current Faves: Flash, WW, Batman, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Hellboy, X-Men, Conan The Barbarian, Saga, It-Girl

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thorionthei View Post
    Hyperion and Captain Universe are both wild cards. Suprised Cap would allow that. Two omega level beings with a history of not being very stable. After Wanda and the Phoenix coming to Earth? Strange. From a story stand point...sure it's fun....I'm excited about them...and even Smasher. Just from a Cap & Tony standpoint? Doesn't make sense. But neither did Civil War or New Avengers (Tony: We need Ares. He's Thor and Wolverine combined...ugh.)
    1.) This is a Different Hyperion, he has no where to go (his universe died) this is a place they can use him. and he might actualy be a pure hero hyperion. and if not, another hyperions appearance in the heroic age thunderbolts showed us they have a way of keeping him relatively complinant. (nanites in his spine, packing doses of Argonite the mineral he is weak against)
    2.) We no Nothing about this captain universe, the Host might be 100% trust worthy we will see when we get her origin.
    3.) WTH was wrong with Ares's placement in the mighty avengers (Loved it), yes he used to be a villain, but i think he was also a ally sense then, and him living peacefuly on earth showed it would be less likely for him to turn bad bad again (even when he joined osborn, he relativly saw it as being for the greater good)
    Last edited by Movieartman; 12-22-2012 at 06:14 PM.