Default XO Manowar #8 Review and SPOILERS

Really good issue. I have enjoyed this second arc much more so than the first.

My only gripe here (and its a small one) is that it reads more like an issue of Ninjak featuring XO than the other way around. Don't get me wrong, I think they have done a great job with Ninjak here, but possibly at the expense of Arc's development. Hopefully that will be addressed more during Planet Death, but I really want to see Aric interacting with this new world he is stuck in.

I also liked the introduction of Neville Alcott, an important figure in many original VALIANT books. His suggestion that he doesn't even have a "team" he can trust yet leads me again to a possible, Ninjak-led, Secret Weapons book down the line. Sign me up.

Easter Egg of the Week: Neville's alien source is from the Vatican. If you read A&A #3, that type of little connection would make you smile. This is what I love about this growing new shared universe.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Really good issue. I have enjoyed this second arc much more so than the first.

My only gripe here (and its a small one) is that it reads more like an issue of Ninjak featuring XO than the other way around. Don't get me wrong, I think they have done a great job with Ninjak here, but possibly at the expense of Arc's development. Hopefully that will be addressed more during Planet Death, but I really want to see Aric interacting with this new world he is stuck in.

I also liked the introduction of Neville Alcott, an important figure in many original VALIANT books. His suggestion that he doesn't even have a "team" he can trust yet leads me again to a possible, Ninjak-led, Secret Weapons book down the line. Sign me up.

Easter Egg of the Week: Neville's alien source is from the Vatican. If you read A&A #3, that type of little connection would make you smile. This is what I love about this growing new shared universe.
    Ohhh thanks for the easter egg! Nice review. I reviewed it as well here if you're interested.

I thought it was good, but...just too much action for me. I think when this is collected it'll read better as the previous issues had their long exposition moments, but this issue needed some story or something. One big action scene is a bit stilting I think. That said it was good stuff. Really love what Valiant is doing!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    Ohhh thanks for the easter egg! Nice review. I reviewed it as well here if you're interested.

I thought it was good, but...just too much action for me. I think when this is collected it'll read better as the previous issues had their long exposition moments, but this issue needed some story or something. One big action scene is a bit stilting I think. That said it was good stuff. Really love what Valiant is doing!
    Yeah, this and Bloodshot seem like they will read best in trade. Meanwhile, Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong are must reads monthly. Jury's still out on Shadowman until the first arc wraps up.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Yeah, this and Bloodshot seem like they will read best in trade. Meanwhile, Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong are must reads monthly. Jury's still out on Shadowman until the first arc wraps up.
    Agreed. Archer has been consistently good in single issue. Well balanced and paced.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I loved this issue!!! I didn't think it felt like Ninjak co-starring XO at all. It felt like a true team up issue. A classic feel of the Marvel Team-Up book from the 70's. Both characters had plenty going on and I loved the last exchange.
    I'd butcher it but it was the "We should remain allies. I'll work in shadow while you stay out front.", "For how long then?", "Till it's time to not be."

If that was indeed an intended "easter egg" by Neville when he says he doesn't have a team in place, meaning Secret Weapons. Awesome.

Great issue!!! This title remains a must read for me every month!!
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

This is definitely one of the better comic series out there period right now for me. I think Ninjak DID get a little more 'face time', but not by much and it was good stuff. Frankly, X-O and Ninjak bounce off each other in a fun way with their obvious contrasts in styles. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how our Man O War handles things on his own again soon. The story moves along at a fast pace, and I'm hooked.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

another solid issue, but the art this time around was probably weakest it's been so far.

This issue was just all-out fun. Both the story and art were minimalist in a very effective way, and it's great to see the hero just kick everyone effortlessly once in a great while. It's especially effective here, when we can be certain what Aric's accomplished will set him up for a healthy dose of over-confidence as he deals with Planet Death. Enjoyed the interplay between Aric and Ninjak. The final page has me grinning with anticipation. This was far and away the more enjoyable read for me than Harbinger 7, though I greatly liked that too. But this was something special. This kept me turning pages anxiously (or swiping my screen, actually), as each one was more awesome than the next. Harbinger was slow and great for character definition. Neither advanced the core story much and both had their strong points. But X-O was just more fun.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

This was good, made sure I'm on board through Planet Death at least - I do really want to see Aric start to confront the reality of his situation. I know, I know, Manowar, but I'm hoping they explore the fish out of water aspect of the concept (see that pun? I'm funny).

Starting to gear me up for a Secret Weapons book too (I'd buy that, but probably not a Ninjak solo).
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    This was good, made sure I'm on board through Planet Death at least - I do really want to see Aric start to confront the reality of his situation. I know, I know, Manowar, but I'm hoping they explore the fish out of water aspect of the concept (see that pun? I'm funny).

Starting to gear me up for a Secret Weapons book too (I'd buy that, but probably not a Ninjak solo).
    Agree on both points.

Sign me up for "Secret Weapons featuring Ninjak" or "Ninjak and the Secret Weapons".

I'd buy Ninjak AND a Secret Weapons book. SW had some rotating characters so Ninjak could be in the first arc then rotate out so it wouldn't seem like 2 Ninjak books. Personally I don't think we have enough Valiant characters for SW just yet. Therefore, I predict a Ninjak ongoing sometime in 2013.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

I can see a Ninjak book where working with Neville and re-establishing MI-6 is part of the story and a varried supporting cast would be present as a result but it would still be Ninjak's book.

That could have a Secret Weapons feel and be Ninjak all at the same time

This was a really good issue. Since it was the end of an arc, I felt the action was well placed. I do want to see Aric experience the new surroundings more but that'll come in time. I'm loving Valiant. Great for a new comic fan.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

This issue was sick, one of my favorite parts was where Aric and Ninjak decided to keep their truce a little longer, their exchanges between the two of them are just downright epic. I love how they just tore through the MI:16 building like a hot knife through soft butter, but it's going to be more difficult now that Alex has no pull with the council and has been banished.......I think tough times may be ahead for our little group. All in all this issue was fantastic and this book deserves all the amazing praise it's been getting, Ninjak has become my favorite Valiant character and I can't wait to see what Planet Death is going to be like!

Ninjak has been awesome, but I am looking forward to Aric getting the book back to himself. Planet Death is starting next issue, right? I really hope that they can get Clayton Crain on some interiors because his covers have been stellar. Good to see him on something other than Venom and Carnage titles.