View Poll Results: What did you think of USM #18?

Voters
44. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't Wait for the next issue.

17 38.64%
  • Good. I like where the story is going.

16 36.36%
  • Meh. Not bad, but it could have been worse.

5 11.36%
  • Bad. I'm not a fan of the story.

3 6.82%
  • Awful! Wish I didn't read it.

3 6.82%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    Just a quick question: Have we ever seen Peter Parker extremely battle damaged? Like we've seen him with a torn costume and maybe a bloody nose here and there, but have we ever seen him completely almost near death other than in death of Spider-Man? Maybe the Spider-Men can just take a hit.
    Doc Ock beat the hell out of him in the arc where he took him to South America. He almost died in Ultimatum, he was seriously wounded by a gun shot. Kingpin beat him to hell along with Electro. Probably a few more examples but those just came off the top of my head.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Just a quick question: Have we ever seen Peter Parker extremely battle damaged? Like we've seen him with a torn costume and maybe a bloody nose here and there, but have we ever seen him completely almost near death other than in death of Spider-Man? Maybe the Spider-Men can just take a hit.
    The worse injuries I remember Peter getting were in Issue #19 of Vol 1 and the one time he got shot and Mary Jane had to help him out.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

Ah I remember those. Either way, YES it seems Miles is getting the easy way out specialty treatment, but in all honesty it could be that he's just stronger and more durable than Peter. Keep in mind Peter was enhanced using an experimental strain of OZ (00) while Miles was enhanced using a relatively perfected strain (42). Also, the fact that he keeps using his Venom Blast and winning is actually more believable than using different moves because he's a young kid; he found an easy way to win so he exploits it. Sure, for us, it is getting old quick. But for Miles it's a matter of life or death so he keeps using the tried and true method, despite the fact that its cheap. Wouldn't you?

Besides, it's going to come back to bite him in the ass one day. Like, for example, when he tries his Venom Blast on a grade A villain like Venom, only to realize it has no effect. Oops! Now what?!?
    Last edited by Balfro; 12-21-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    All-New Ultimates • Earth 2 • Harley Quinn • Injustice • Invincible • Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man • Real Heroes • The Walking Dead • Ultimate FF

I loved this issue, both the action and non-action sequences. Looking at the scene with Jefferson it doesn't look like he killed them at all. He shot them in the shoulder area. I also do not see why everyone has such an issue with the Venom Blast. Yes, he has used it in the past to win many fights. If you have such abilities would you not use it. That's like saying Thor using super strength to take down people is cheap. Looking at this issue he even assessed his situation. He used the blast to free himself and tried to use camoflauge to escape realizing this probably wasn't a fight he could win. He then used the blast in a series of strategic strikes and finished the fight with his FIST/FOOT. It wasn't like he punched her in the neck and the battle was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Doc Ock beat the hell out of him in the arc where he took him to South America. He almost died in Ultimatum, he was seriously wounded by a gun shot. Kingpin beat him to hell along with Electro. Probably a few more examples but those just came off the top of my head.
    And it's not just the physical beatings, Peter's life was hit WAY harder than Miles's has been. Peter:

-Lost his uncle because of his own mistake
    -Was teased relentlessly by several of his classmates
    -Had a newspaper relentlessly attack him, despite the obvious fact that he was a hero
    -Had his image ruined even further by an impostor who killed the Chief of Poliece
    -Had a monster that was made, in part, from his own DNA run around and kill people. On multiple occasions. Including one of his best friends.
    -Had his image stolen, again, by shapeshifters who ruined his relationship with Gwen
    -Had his DNA stolen to make several clones of him, one of whom kidnapped his girlfriend
    -Saw his best friend killed by his friend's father

There's also the whole issue of keeping a secret identity, which really hasn't been a problem for Miles yet. Other than his uncle, the only person who has come close to finding out is Judge, and he would probably be fine with it. He doesn't live with his parents, so there's no worry there. Peter had people finding out about him almost every day.

Now, I understand that it's only been about 20 issues versus Peter's 160 plus, but that's a long time for Miles to get by on luck. The only hardship he's really had so far is being tormented by his uncle who later died. And yes, that's a big thing. But that's really it. He's been beat up a few times, but nothing bad; he's a superhero, that's gonna happen. I'm liking the book overall, but it could be SO much better if Bendis would back off of the boring, drawn out action scenes and focus on what made this book amazing ten years ago: friends and family. Miles Morales should be way more important than Spider-man, but that hasn't really been the case yet.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    And it's not just the physical beatings, Peter's life was hit WAY harder than Miles's has been. Peter:

-Lost his uncle because of his own mistake
    -Was teased relentlessly by several of his classmates
    -Had a newspaper relentlessly attack him, despite the obvious fact that he was a hero
    -Had his image ruined even further by an impostor who killed the Chief of Poliece
    -Had a monster that was made, in part, from his own DNA run around and kill people. On multiple occasions. Including one of his best friends.
    -Had his image stolen, again, by shapeshifters who ruined his relationship with Gwen
    -Had his DNA stolen to make several clones of him, one of whom kidnapped his girlfriend
    -Saw his best friend killed by his friend's father

There's also the whole issue of keeping a secret identity, which really hasn't been a problem for Miles yet. Other than his uncle, the only person who has come close to finding out is Judge, and he would probably be fine with it. He doesn't live with his parents, so there's no worry there. Peter had people finding out about him almost every day.

Now, I understand that it's only been about 20 issues versus Peter's 160 plus, but that's a long time for Miles to get by on luck. The only hardship he's really had so far is being tormented by his uncle who later died. And yes, that's a big thing. But that's really it. He's been beat up a few times, but nothing bad; he's a superhero, that's gonna happen. I'm liking the book overall, but it could be SO much better if Bendis would back off of the boring, drawn out action scenes and focus on what made this book amazing ten years ago: friends and family. Miles Morales should be way more important than Spider-man, but that hasn't really been the case yet.
    Yeah Peter really did have a rougher time as Spidey. But like I mentioned before, I'm hoping Bendis is leading up to Miles getting into a comfort zone and then BAM huge conflict that he has no idea how to resolve. It is actually sort of Peter Parker-esq because whenever something went good for him it was flushed down the crapper almost instantly. I think it's a little better that Miles get more happy times and then a HUGE down-the-crapper moment as a result.
    All-New Ultimates • Earth 2 • Harley Quinn • Injustice • Invincible • Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man • Real Heroes • The Walking Dead • Ultimate FF

Yeah Peter really did have a rougher time as Spidey. But like I mentioned before, I'm hoping Bendis is leading up to Miles getting into a comfort zone and then BAM huge conflict that he has no idea how to resolve. It is actually sort of Peter Parker-esq because whenever something went good for him it was flushed down the crapper almost instantly. I think it's a little better that Miles get more happy times and then a HUGE down-the-crapper moment as a result.
    Yeah, I'm sure it'll happen eventually. But so far it's just been smooth sailing, and that's left a lot to be desired. It's not just that it all seems so easy, it's that there's no real conflict. And what's there is pretty weak. For me, it's mostly a problem with how the supporting cast is being used (or, rather, not being used).

Family
    Dad - There's been some interesting stuff here, especially in this issue, but before this it basically boiled down to "Spider-man's dad hates heroes."
    Mom - she's really just wallpaper
    Uncle - This was good stuff, though it ended sooner than I would have liked. The Miles/Aaron relationship is by far the best thing Bendis has done with this run.

Friends
    Ganke - Ganke's a great best friend, but he gets far too little page space. He's like the new Kong, and Bendis needs to use him more.
    Judge - great potential, but horrible execution. Judge is barely ever around, and now he's apparently moving out. 3 boys in one room gives so much room for teen conflict. Huge miss by Bendis.

Other
    Spider-woman - I like her overprotectiveness, and I think that'll get even better as we go along.
    Gwen and May - well done on both parts.

--

It speaks as a big problem to me that the list is so short. Peter's cast was bigger than this by the end of the first issue and continued to grow. There's less than 10 members of his supporting cast, and one is dead.

In my opinion everything that happened between Miles and Aaron actually felt like I was reading a decent Spiderman comic. There was tension and drama, not to mention Aaron had a tool that could actually hurt Miles, not necessarily physically but emotionally by knowing his identity and basically holding him hostage with it.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Quote Originally Posted by babybro View Post
    Didn't come out with a scratch? Really?! He was ko'ed for who knows how long, what do you really want from the guy, a hospital trip? His zapping technique is his thing, like webs his for peter. As peter uses his webs to his advantages, so does Miles, and unlike previous times where the zap actually ko'ed the person, this time it only stun, allowing him to set up the combo for the win.
    Well, this is realistic right? So grounded right? A thirteen year old kid is doing so much better than a fifteen year old one, in every way. Miles is a pet character to Bendis. Bendis had a mission to ground Peter in a realistic teen setting, having him make mistakes. Miles, however, can beat his far older and more experienced counterpart? Well, Miles can do anything. How long until Green Goblin comes back and Miles EASILY beats him proving once and FOR ALL Miles is the BETTER Spider-Man. After all, that's what Bendis is going for right? Right.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

It was good. Miles made big inroads with the Ultimates and gained more of their respect, I think. To me, thats a big difference between this run and USM. Peter was always an outsider, right up to the end. Every indication so far is that Miles is going to be an Ultimate through and through.

Yes, Peter was gaining respect from the Ultimates towards the end, but honestly all of that stuff in prelude felt like...well, a prelude! So not really anything more than emotional set up for Peter's death. This feels more like its going to develop properly.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll happen eventually. But so far it's just been smooth sailing, and that's left a lot to be desired. It's not just that it all seems so easy, it's that there's no real conflict. And what's there is pretty weak. For me, it's mostly a problem with how the supporting cast is being used (or, rather, not being used).

Family
    Dad - There's been some interesting stuff here, especially in this issue, but before this it basically boiled down to "Spider-man's dad hates heroes."
    Mom - she's really just wallpaper
    Uncle - This was good stuff, though it ended sooner than I would have liked. The Miles/Aaron relationship is by far the best thing Bendis has done with this run.

Friends
    Ganke - Ganke's a great best friend, but he gets far too little page space. He's like the new Kong, and Bendis needs to use him more.
    Judge - great potential, but horrible execution. Judge is barely ever around, and now he's apparently moving out. 3 boys in one room gives so much room for teen conflict. Huge miss by Bendis.

Other
    Spider-woman - I like her overprotectiveness, and I think that'll get even better as we go along.
    Gwen and May - well done on both parts.

--

It speaks as a big problem to me that the list is so short. Peter's cast was bigger than this by the end of the first issue and continued to grow. There's less than 10 members of his supporting cast, and one is dead.
    I think the main problem is that Bendis has become quite decompressed in terms of his plotting. Now, I'm not sure- I only own the TPBs starting from about when Peter and Kitty began dating- but with Peter, it seemed like so much more HAPPENED each issue. Bendis didn't waste any space at all, and the story benefited from it. Now, though...a six-issue arc that Bendis writes will have the same amount of actual story progression as one half that length by another writer (or Bendis himself in the first volume of the series).

We don't get a CHANCE to see all of the supporting characters the same way we once did.
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    In my opinion everything that happened between Miles and Aaron actually felt like I was reading a decent Spiderman comic. There was tension and drama, not to mention Aaron had a tool that could actually hurt Miles, not necessarily physically but emotionally by knowing his identity and basically holding him hostage with it.
    I totally agree. I really liked what Aaron brought to the table. I just think there was so much more there. With the exception of the terrible "TO... BE... CONTINUED..." at the end of each issue, I was really starting to dig the new volume. But then he just up and died, which I think was unfortunate. Miles/Aaron could have been a great dynamic to bring back every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Time_to_Zap View Post
    We don't get a CHANCE to see all of the supporting characters the same way we once did.
    Yeah, that's totally my issue with the cast in this book. Ganke is awesome, his parents are great, and even Judge has been solid. They're just not really there at all.

I totally agree. I really liked what Aaron brought to the table. I just think there was so much more there. With the exception of the terrible "TO... BE... CONTINUED..." at the end of each issue, I was really starting to dig the new volume. But then he just up and died, which I think was unfortunate. Miles/Aaron could have been a great dynamic to bring back every once in a while.
    I think the big issue here is DWF. It just took the momentum out of the story. It was an event where Miles really didn't need to play a role in and I think it hurt the UCSM as a stand-alone comic. Let's hope the venom arc is a return to normalcy and that the ultimate line stays out of editor-mandated events for a while.

The pacing of this book leaves a little bit to be desired but overall the comic is very good. I dont get the whining about Miles not getting beat up enough, i can buy that he just may be more durable than peter was. I dont think that is a big crime, yes lets draw out some differences between the two characters. There is plenty of time and hopefully creativity to write villans that will shrug off a venom blast, and will be better than Miles fighting wise. Personally i dig getting to see what abilities he has.
    Comfortably numb is my state of being!