Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Underused or Undervalued Avengers Villains that could become A-List

What in your opinion are Avengers villains from the past and present that perhaps did not get enough spotlight or were forgotten after one use but who had a ton of potential to get up there to or just below the level of an Ultron, Masters of Evil or Kang the Conqueror? I got to thinking about this after reading the latest arc of Secret Avengers. I could be assuming but I'm sure not as many people read that book as the main ones and it has this new supervillain group called "The Descendants" who just ooze with story potential. Man just the stories I could tell with that group and Ultron, or Vision. Just gnarly. Anyone else love "The Descendants"? What other villains solo or teams do you like?
    Last edited by midnightshrink; 12-19-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Cyclops was right.

I thought Pagan was pretty cool.

Any and all Kaiju, from Fing Fang Foom to Terminus. Super Hero comics tend to gloss over the symbolism of such beings, and have it all dropped on Hulks. They are forces of nature firsts and foremost. They need to have stories with them shift focus from big fight scenes to recovery/cleanup/aftermath stories.

They also need to emphasize the size of such things. Most of the time, the beasts don't appear bigger than 70ft.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Any and all Kaiju, from Fing Fang Foom to Terminus. Super Hero comics tend to gloss over the symbolism of such beings, and have it all dropped on Hulks. They are forces of nature firsts and foremost. They need to have stories with them shift focus from big fight scenes to recovery/cleanup/aftermath stories.

They also need to emphasize the size of such things. Most of the time, the beasts don't appear bigger than 70ft.
    Nope. It's pretty easy for some gigantic brainless monster to be destroyed by someone like Captain Marvel, Thor, Iron Man, or Hulk on their own. One energy blast to the head and they are dunzo. The Avengers versus some King Kong type would be over in a second, and also boring as hell to read about.
    Mah Sheet: Moon Knight, Thor, Wolfsbane, Paladin, Doc Ock, Black Bolt, Cage, Hawkeye, Sunfire, Boomerang, Hellcat, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Bishop, Magik, Cypher

The Wrecking Crew could be dangerous if they used their Asgardian magic properly. And Thunderball built a miniature gamma bomb, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post
    The Wrecking Crew could be dangerous if they used their Asgardian magic properly. And Thunderball built a miniature gamma bomb, after all.
    Fully agree. I'd love to see a violent Wrecking Crew revenge story against the families of all the heroes that repeatedly locked them up. A Homewrecking Crew if you will.
    "When even one American - who has done nothing wrong - is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth - then all Americans are in peril."- Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Hockstatter View Post
    Nope. It's pretty easy for some gigantic brainless monster to be destroyed by someone like Captain Marvel, Thor, Iron Man, or Hulk on their own. One energy blast to the head and they are dunzo. The Avengers versus some King Kong type would be over in a second, and also boring as hell to read about.
    Missing my point -- they shouldn't. It's time for a change up in the storytelling process there.

Besides, you should have seen the last time Godzilla stomped the Marvel Universe proper.

SHIELD, the Fantastic Four, and the Avengers (including Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, Yellowjacket & Vision) took him on ALL AT ONCE and failed miserably against him.

The worst Hercules did to the big G was flip him on his back!

God, the 70s Godzilla from Marvel was fun.
    Last edited by Majin Gojira; 12-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Graviton. I liked him in the cartoon plenty. When was the last time he was used?

i'd like to see the Grim Reaper be a serious threat again.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Graviton. I liked him in the cartoon plenty. When was the last time he was used?
    I think he killed himself during the Knaufs' Iron Man run. I don't know if he's come back from the dead since then.
    Death is light as a feather,duty heavier than a mountain. - A saying in the Borderlands

I'd love to see Graviton given an update, and made into a serious threat. I thought he was greatly done in the AEMH cartoon, and would love to see him like that in the comics now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i'd like to see the Grim Reaper be a serious threat again.
    Always liked Grim Reaper, and thought he should be a serious threat too, and would really like to see him show up again causing some serious trouble.

That's a really underused powerful villain. Last I saw him was in Thunderbolts over 10 years ago.
    Cyclops was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockstatter View Post
    FFF is sentient

Quote Originally Posted by Justin K. View Post
    I thought Pagan was pretty cool.

Pagan AND Lord Templar were great. I always thought they had potential to make big time villains. Too bad no one has used them since Busiek.

Quote Originally Posted by Marveluted View Post
    Fully agree. I'd love to see a violent Wrecking Crew revenge story against the families of all the heroes that repeatedly locked them up. A Homewrecking Crew if you will.
    Lol. Cute.

Graviton had potential to be a Magneto level threat for the Avengers. He just needed a little more work on a cool motivation.

Now, to add a contribution of my own. The Fomor. Cool other-dimensional gods/demons, packing quite a lot of power.
    And I always thought the Zodiac Cartel was an idea that had potential to be one of the greatest threats the Avengers have ever faced, but I feel like we've yet to see a definite and really menancing version of the group ( The last ones were a throw away bunch used as cannon fodder in the beginning of Bendis Avengers Assemble arc. So disappointing).

Peace

I'd love to see the Collector back. He was always fun.