Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Exploring The Consequences Of Online Death Threats

In the wake of some readers threatening the life of "Amazing Spider-Man" writer Dan Slott via social media, CBR News spoke with legal experts about the potential legal ramifications of egregious cyber comments.

Full article here.

Actually likes comics Darth Tigris's Avatar

In comics, a certain level of hyperbolic and sometimes vitriolic rhetoric has become part of the norm when readers discuss stories online. And while that may be true for almost any site on the internet, be it entertainment, sports, politics or whatever
    That is the problem. We aren't communicating in a constructive way anymore as long as allow this form to be acceptable. It's poisonous.
    Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me are people that think Final Crisis is good.

Did accusing people of raping our childhoods go out of style?
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Did accusing people of raping our childhoods go out of style?
    Those were the good old days, apparently.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Is there really anyone here we have never been insulted or threatened on the web? It actually happen almost every day to me thanks to the good people of youtube. (god bless them all)

Well, i probably would get less of that without this nasty habit of mine to troll religious people and to make the most inappropriate jokes about God and Jesus, granted, but even without that, Internet is just a very crappy place.

Interesting yes, but about as well frequented as a sailors bar.
    Last edited by The Green Condom; 12-20-2012 at 02:03 AM.

The Livewire

Insults are one thing. Death threats are something else (and older than the internet, Wolfman and Perez got death threats after the Judas Contract).

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In the wake of some readers threatening the life of "Amazing Spider-Man" writer Dan Slott via social media, CBR News spoke with legal experts about the potential legal ramifications of egregious cyber comments.

Full article here.
    I remember the days when Austen got death threats for the X-Men. People would call his home and tell his children how evil he was. He'd go to comics shows and be threatened so he finally stopped going.

Our track record with creators as a whole is pretty damn bad. Why some decide to cross the line from legit criticism to deciding they need to insult and send threats out is insane.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Honestly, I found all this foolishness, because it's just a comic book consist of paper and Paper clips, nothing to get work up for. Seriously, the nerve of some people.

Yeah, it's a story in a comic and someone new will come along to write Spidey in a few years anyway.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    it's just a comic book consist of paper and Paper clips
    Er...where are you buying your books?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Yeah, it's a story in a comic and someone new will come along to write Spidey in a few years anyway.
    Exactly...I remember saying that last year I believe in a thread on the Spider-Man forum....eventually its gonna change. Everything in comics is about change. In a decade those claiming how horrible the marriage was , will be in a boat where its gonna be back and then those people will bitch about changes.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

You know what? I think Marvel or Dan Slott himself should pursue these idiots legally. It's only a damned comic, for crying out loud! It's about time these morons grew up and realized that you can't behave like this in a so-called civilized society. The police knocking on their door and charging them with making death threats, or terrorist activity might well do the job.

I remember after OMD and reading an email someone had sent to Joe Quesada, that he wanted to kill Joes children so that Joe would know how he (the reader) felt afte reading OMD
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Thunarr View Post
    You know what? I think Marvel or Dan Slott himself should pursue these idiots legally. It's only a damned comic, for crying out loud! It's about time these morons grew up and realized that you can't behave like this in a so-called civilized society. The police knocking on their door and charging them with making death threats, or terrorist activity might well do the job.
    Yes, they should. Which is why Slott tweeted that he was reporting all threats to police. Days ago.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P