Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Harbinger, #7

At a glance, Joshua Dysart, Barry Kitson, Lee Garbett and Khari Evans's depiction of Flamingo in "Harbinger" #7 seems a little too one-note to grab attention. But once you compare her to the rest of the cast, her role seems a bit clearer.

Full review here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    At a glance, Joshua Dysart, Barry Kitson, Lee Garbett and Khari Evans's depiction of Flamingo in "Harbinger" #7 seems a little too one-note to grab attention. But once you compare her to the rest of the cast, her role seems a bit clearer.

Full review here.
    My favorite issue of the series so far. While this reviewer seems to feel that maybe it was too edgy or "pushed too many buttons," this is exactly what I've wanted from this series since the first issue.

Harbinger should not be just another teenage superhero series, it has always intended to make the reader uncomfortable. Even the original series, as much as people like to view it with rose-coloured glasses, was for its time a very edgy book.

I hope people that are into Marvel MAX style books or Vertigo series' are taking notice of this comic, because that's the kind of just-left-of-the-mainstream audience I think would appreciate Harbinger the most.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

A lot of people will not like this issue. They will find it offensive or exploitative in some way. I, however, am not one of those people. I LOVED this issue. I was genuinely disturbed by it. Not in a bad way, but disturbed at the honest reality of it.

Charlene's is a common story in many ways: a runaway relying on the only thing that ever got her anything, veering out of control, succumbing to physical and emotional abuse. And now that Pete has released her inner power? This girl is gonna hurt some people.

In the original version we never got much background on why Flamingo was who she was. Now that we have a sense of who she is and where she comes from, we can move forward with her as her story unfolds. And Dysart does it in a way where you feel bad for her, but you don't feel sorry for her--you don't pity her--you start to root for her. She is strong, and always has been, she just didn't know how to show it except through her body. Now? You are scared of her...and that's awesome!

And as for the art...wow is this a BIG difference. I started to like Evans' art, but Kitson is pretty stellar. Looking forward to his upcoming Bloodshot run.

Easter Egg of the Week: Is that Woody (as in Quantum & Woody) at the gentelemens club?
    Last edited by BugsySig; 12-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

"You better slow your roll, chick"

Great line

4/5 stars, all Kitson would have made it 4.5 easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post

Great line

So weird because I didn't notice the multiple artists until after someone mentioned it. On second look through its obvious it changes when we reach the gentlemens club. It looks like Khari Evans did the first few pages and, if so, it's some of his cleanest work to date on the book. Still not sure which pages were Garbett.

Considering Birones dropped off the book last minute, I think they did an excellent job keeping the art consistent...especially compared to issue 5's art cluster fuck. I usually pick up on mid-book changes immediately, but I think I was too engrossed in the story to notice this time around.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I've been very lukewarm on this title with only issues 4-5 really rising above for me.
    This one was the first one that I found to be great.

If I was comparing character introductions I think it fair to say the intro of Charlene/Flamingo here in Harbinger #7 was a light years better character study than DC's Voodoo #1. I'm instantly more intrigued by the details given on her past and where she moves forward from here.

The exchanges between her and Kris were great. Heck the Faith/Kris one of "I liked it better when you were talking about Dr.Who" was a great line also.

As a whole the title rises for me with this issue but XO Manowar is still my favorite followed by Bloodshot.

Up next Torque.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I've been very lukewarm on this title with only issues 4-5 really rising above for me.

If I was comparing character introductions I think it fair to say the intro of Charlene/Flamingo here in Harbinger #7 was a light years better character study than DC's Voodoo #1. I'm instantly more intrigued by the details given on her past and where she moves forward from here.

The exchanges between her and Kris were great. Heck the Faith/Kris one of "I liked it better when you were talking about Dr.Who" was a great line also.

As a whole the title rises for me with this issue but XO Manowar is still my favorite followed by Bloodshot.

Up next Torque.
    I can't wait to see what Dysart has done to Torque.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

Another great issue. It definitely made you feel uncomfortable at times. The art was solid and the Harbinger Wars looks promising. Her boyfriend got roasted!

yeah uncomfortable
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

He is going to end up on a team of women. So far he is the only man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmoduck View Post
    He is going to end up on a team of women. So far he is the only man.
    That was kind of a funny plot point in the original. Kris gets bent out of shape about sharing a bed with Pete and Faith, then later Pete shows up with Flamingo and Kris starts bitching about his haram. Then he was reluctant to add Torque but Mingo and Kris were all about it.

(Later people would use that as fodder for the "Pete was supposed to be gay" camp--Shooter once said Pete was meant to be gay, but the characterization under Shooter's pen never suggested that to me, and he was talking out of his ass a lot at that point.)

Personally, I like that the book is female heavy. Where else can you find that outside of a few XMen incarnations over the years?

Incredible issue - such a huge gift especially to fans of the original. Seeing the new take on the origins of these classic Valiant characters. The edginess is what makes Valiant, Valiant - I love that the creators are running with it and not holding back. As for the comments on the number of ladies in the book - this was one of the originals unique draws. They pull of the affections of Pete and the jealousy and rifts that occur between set up some great story moments. These are just kids - it adds a unique and grounded real world element to the book.

The timeless iconic Valiant comic panels continue with the awakening of Flamingo drenched in flame in the hotel room. Just a stunning page there.
    Last edited by Destro777; 12-20-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Marvel: Hickman's Avengers books
    DC: Azzarello's WonderWoman
    Valiant: X-O Manowar
    Other: Hellboy, Fables, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The first few issues of Harbinger were just good enough to keep me reading but the book has really stepped up the last few months. I think Kris and Faith add a lot of flavor to the book and make for a more enjoyable reading experience. Faith's cheer and excitement are a great change of pace in an otherwise pretty dark book and Kris' interactions with Peter make him a more interesting character.

^^^
    I agree that Faith helps to immensely add an attitudinal shift among the core cast. It's too early to tell but Flamingo may help to add a variation as well.

I may look back and issue #7 was the swing point of the book going from slightly above average to great.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    A lot of people will not like this issue. They will find it offensive or exploitative in some way. I, however, am not one of those people. I LOVED this issue. I was genuinely disturbed by it. Not in a bad way, but disturbed at the honest reality of it.

Charlene's is a common story in many ways: a runaway relying on the only thing that ever got her anything, veering out of control, succumbing to physical and emotional abuse. And now that Pete has released her inner power? This girl is gonna hurt some people.

In the original version we never got much background on why Flamingo was who she was. Now that we have a sense of who she is and where she comes from, we can move forward with her as her story unfolds. And Dysart does it in a way where you feel bad for her, but you don't feel sorry for her--you don't pity her--you start to root for her. She is strong, and always has been, she just didn't know how to show it except through her body. Now? You are scared of her...and that's awesome!

And as for the art...wow is this a BIG difference. I started to like Evans' art, but Kitson is pretty stellar. Looking forward to his upcoming Bloodshot run.

Easter Egg of the Week: Is that Woody (as in Quantum & Woody) at the gentelemens club?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post

Great line

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    I can't wait to see what Dysart has done to Torque.
    All this. Great issue, great characterization, great everything. I didn't expect Flamingo to be burned like that, given the cover art hasn't reflected that. I'm interested to see how other artists depict that. I really agree about her being sympathetic but not pitiable, really stellar balancing act Dysart did there. Just fantastic.

Kris was awesome and kind of chilling here. She's playing a whole 'nother game to the rest of the cast, outside of Harada. I really liked his acknowledgement of her threat early on. His hint about previous Harbinger Wars was REALLY interesting. Faith was great and her Doctor Who line was particularly awesome. And what Peter did to the recruitment woman... messed up. In a good way.

I can't wait for the next issue!
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.