Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Yeah. Where was the outcry with that?
    No one tried to rape you in it.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    ...or vice versa...
    meaning? as in terms of quality or revenue produced by a video game company?
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    meaning? as in terms of quality or revenue produced by a video game company?
    Meaning a return on their investment...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

How the heck was the old Lara Croft a symbol of female empowerment? She was basically just something for lonely 90's kids to jerk off to.

This is really stupid. People complaining 'cause she defended herself against the attacker. Is most likely the rape attempts won't happen in the rest of the game. They'll just shoot you.

People these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It's probably not rated E for everyone.
    Did none of them play the walking dead game?
    You murder children in it.
    Hell, in Dante's Inferno you kill babies. Weird, CREEPY babies. Oh yeah, and what happens to Betriece might as well be rape. No one complained. I guess is because the both the babies and the children from Walking Dead aren't human is totally ok. Doom 3 had them too.
    Last edited by StreetFighterRyu; 12-28-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    My Yu-Gi-Oh! card
    My magic card
    Magic The Gathering: Evil Ryu

Fear me.
    And my serpent.

The Seven Sins of Star Wars

1: Yoda can beat God
    2: Blaster pistols can blow up planets
    3: Lighsabers are as hot as the sun
    4: Luke Skywalker can move black holes
    5: Star Destroyers can blow up planets
    6: Darth Sidious rips Superman's head off
    7: General Grevious has Force TK

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is not canon to anything. Nor is the new Clone Wars movie.

This is really stupid. People complaining 'cause she defended herself against the attacker. Is most likely the rape attempts won't happen in the rest of the game. They'll just shoot you.

People these days.
    missing the point

what people are complaining about is that kind of situation being in the game to start with, not what actions she takes during it
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Wjowski View Post
    How the heck was the old Lara Croft a symbol of female empowerment? She was basically just something for lonely 90's kids to jerk off to.
    Hah.

Rape was the hot thing in comics a few years ago, it's videogames turn!

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Seems like people still have a problem with rape being used to add drama to female characters (I mean obviously it's bad for dudes as well, but when does that ever happen?). The same argument makes its rounds whenever it happens in comics too. That it's a cheap ploy to add drama (or tension/suspense prior to the act), and that it's stupid to use it to develop a character and in some cases use it as a character's entire motivation.

I have to agree. But... As terrible as it is real or fictional, it's clear that this game isn't going to linger on that one moment in the video. It was a passing scene, unlike various comic book instances where it's given due attention. I think in this case the threat of rape for probably one of the few female lead video game franchises is too blunt, tactless and distasteful that it becomes an issue for some. Which only exacerbates the notion that rape in fiction in general is seen as cheap.
    Bad news everyone...

A silly issue to compalin about. I was a fan of Tom Raider games when they were new and was Indiana Jones like. The trailer looked pretty good and fun. The series was death to me for many years and i would enjoy if it was a good adventure game again. It wont be like Uncharted quality wise but i hope its fun to play atleast.

I have nostalgic memories of Lara Croft just because i played the first game. I just wanted a cool heroine as a kid and not because how she looked. All men,women are good looking in videogames just like they look like Lara Croft in films too.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Didn't Madison almost get raped in Heavy Rain? I seem to recall her being attacked while she was undressed. Was there outcry or an article written when that game came out?

Quote Originally Posted by cbrer View Post
    Didn't Madison almost get raped in Heavy Rain? I seem to recall her being attacked while she was undressed. Was there outcry or an article written when that game came out?
    Heavy Rain wasn't as popular as a lot of people wanted it to be.

I disagree with the whole "rapey reboot" label. I think it has been overblown because what seems to be lost is that Lara fights her way out. How is that not a positive spin on her character? She's always been a fighter. In this game she's a lot younger and clearly growing so why is that an issue? I'm starting to think Square was controversial on purpose just so they could get a reaction from both gamers and the media. Because unlike Todd Akin, there's no such thing as bad publicity for a video game. Just look at what happened with Grant Theft Auto. Controversy sells.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    Seems like people still have a problem with rape being used to add drama to female characters (I mean obviously it's bad for dudes as well, but when does that ever happen?).
    Far Cry 3, F.E.A.R 2 and Mafia 2.
    --*--
    Bring Back MI:13

We need more Black Knight and Faiza Hussain!

Sooooo is the "rape code" the new Nude code?
    Cyclops ad portas