Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 124
  1. #76
    Senior Member Dizzy D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wageningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    3,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    FF13's budget ($80 million)was much, much higher than average , though I have no idea what they actually spent on that money on. It's no wonder they're trying to cut corners now. The average budget is ~$20 million.

    Too many devs go overboard trying to chase that GTA/CoD money. The sooner more of them accept that not every game is going to sell 15 million copies the sooner they can get their budgets under control. When a game like The Witcher 2 comes along with a budget of $10 million and becomes one of the gold standards of it's genre, companies like SE need to be taking notes.
    I fully agree. I rather have a solid midtier game than another attempt at a WOW or COD killer. Luckily there are bright spots (XCOM did very well on a modest budget in a genre that was thought dead by most + the rise of Kickstarter funding more oddbal games.)

  2. #77
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    FF13's budget ($80 million)was much, much higher than average , though I have no idea what they actually spent on that money on. It's no wonder they're trying to cut corners now. The average budget is ~$20 million.

    Too many devs go overboard trying to chase that GTA/CoD money. The sooner more of them accept that not every game is going to sell 15 million copies the sooner they can get their budgets under control. When a game like The Witcher 2 comes along with a budget of $10 million and becomes one of the gold standards of it's genre, companies like SE need to be taking notes.
    It was their first internaly developed HD game engine wasn't it?
    And, it got delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed, and then they had to add an xbox 360 version halfway through.
    Every delay ment more cost for payroll, the additional version probably shot costs up a ton.

    There haven't been a huge number of success stories out of japan since the hd era started, konami i beleive has done fine, capcom has done well, SE has had a horrible time of it but that's not really because of FF13, it's because of FF14 and other games they put out not doing well. Which, imo, is directly connected to the huge rise in popularity of western style first person rpgs like oblivion and fallout 3.
    Besides, was FF13 unpopular? I know it was unpopular with fans, but it sold well didn't it?

    And, when they were previously on the top of the videogame mountain for so long, it's probably very hard to say "Oh, we can knock out a game for 10 million and have it be great."
    I mean, look at FF13, it's spectacle. It's a beatifull game, i hate almost everything else about it, but it's great to look at.
    Tell their gigantic team of artists they can't make games that look like that anymore and see how well it goes over. Or if they can even work that way.

  3. #78
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    I fully agree. I rather have a solid midtier game than another attempt at a WOW or COD killer. Luckily there are bright spots (XCOM did very well on a modest budget in a genre that was thought dead by most + the rise of Kickstarter funding more oddbal games.)
    The dark story behind xcom doing well is people forget that was ment to be a side project, xcom was suppose to be a giant fps that the internet went apeshit over because they were doing to xcom what they did to Syndicate.
    And Syndicate sold horribly and caused a shitstorm and those games were probably 1/1oth as popular as Xcom. And have we heard jack about the XCOM FPS latetly?
    If that game dissapears that's a lot of wasted time and money.

  4. #79
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    How does that work?

    How can you reboot a game that doesn't have any kind of continuity at all anyway?

    Elder Scrolls: Jesus Christ Fire Nomura Now Edition.

  5. #80
    Duck Dude Donald M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    22,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    As I've said before. When this kind of crap happened with X-2 I was ok with it because I foolishly believed it was a one time thing. Looking at it now Final Fantasy needs a reboot more than Tomb Raider. IMHO 7 was the last game out of the series that I'd consider epic. It not only had a good story but it's also the kind of game out can play again and again. OTOH rebooting FF means sacrificing the other good games before seven.
    That's the thing with Final Fantasy though, every game (at least, the traditionally numbered ones) is a reboot. XIII sucked and the less said about the two MMORPG installments the better, but that doesn't mean XV couldn't make the series great again, potentially. No need to start back at the beginning and call it a reboot for that.

  6. #81
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    That's the thing with Final Fantasy though, every game (at least, the traditionally numbered ones) is a reboot. XIII sucked and the less said about the two MMORPG installments the better, but that doesn't mean XV couldn't make the series great again, potentially. No need to start back at the beginning and call it a reboot for that.
    The traditional final fantasy fans are an incredibly hard to please bunch.
    When 8 came out everyone said they missed the way the games used to be, so they made 9 and everyone bitched.
    Everyone loved 10 but when 13 came out they said it was far to linear, and complained about things like not being able to walk around on the world map.
    Well, 10 was pretty fricken linear and you couldn't walk around on the world map.
    12 had a different combat system and people went insane.
    The draw system in 8 was considered too complicated which...come on, but 13 got hit for being too simplistic.

    They should just remake 6 and 7 with a big budget, they will sell.

  7. #82
    Duck Dude Donald M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    22,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    They should just remake 6 and 7 with a big budget, they will sell.
    Not to me. Well 6 yeah, but 7 is easily my least favorite installment after 13, but 12 is my favorite, so what do I know?

  8. #83
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Not to me. Well 6 yeah, but 7 is easily my least favorite installment after 13, but 12 is my favorite, so what do I know?
    I don't like 7 either, but it's the most popular one.
    If they do a full remake of 6 for 3ds i will buy a 3ds to play it though.
    Love that game.

  9. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Besides, was FF13 unpopular? I know it was unpopular with fans, but it sold well didn't it?
    It did, though FF13-2's sales dropped off by quite a bit IIRC.

    "Oh, we can knock out a game for 10 million and have it be great."
    I mean, look at FF13, it's spectacle. It's a beatifull game, i hate almost everything else about it, but it's great to look at.
    Tell their gigantic team of artists they can't make games that look like that anymore and see how well it goes over. Or if they can even work that way.
    The thing is, gigantic budgets aren't really necessary to create a good looking game. The Witcher 2 is considered one of the best looking games out, Crysis made people shit their pants with a budget of $22 million. Hell Star Citizen is a kickstarter game in pre-alpha and is already blowing away a lot of games graphically on a $6 million budget.

    I think you're right about them just being stuck in a "Hollywood blockbuster" mindset.

  10. #85
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    It did, though FF13-2's sales dropped off by quite a bit IIRC.



    The thing is, gigantic budgets aren't really necessary to create a good looking game. The Witcher 2 is considered one of the best looking games out, Crysis made people shit their pants with a budget of $22 million. Hell Star Citizen is a kickstarter game in pre-alpha and is already blowing away a lot of games graphically on a $6 million budget.

    I think you're right about them just being stuck in a "Hollywood blockbuster" mindset.
    Witcher 2s team was working under financial restraints that they were accustomed too, as you said, Square isn't used to that, there's no promise they can program a good looking game cheap because they have never done it.
    As for 2's sales dropping off...well, yeah, when your first game is trashed by everyone, the second game is going to take a hit.

  11. #86
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

    Elder Scrolls: Jesus Christ Fire Nomura Now Edition.
    Bet you Tifa gets deflated in the reboot.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  12. #87
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    The traditional final fantasy fans are an incredibly hard to please bunch.
    When 8 came out everyone said they missed the way the games used to be, so they made 9 and everyone bitched.
    Everyone loved 10 but when 13 came out they said it was far to linear, and complained about things like not being able to walk around on the world map.
    Well, 10 was pretty fricken linear and you couldn't walk around on the world map.
    12 had a different combat system and people went insane.
    The draw system in 8 was considered too complicated which...come on, but 13 got hit for being too simplistic.

    They should just remake 6 and 7 with a big budget, they will sell.
    Oh there were complaints about 10. Blitzball was annoying as hell, the control systems surrounding that was brutal. Tidus could rival Anakin Skywalker when it came to whining. You even had people who didn't like the fact that they talk during the cutscenes. That and the villain wasn't as memorable as say Sephiroth or any of the Pre-7 villains.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  13. #88
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Not to me. Well 6 yeah, but 7 is easily my least favorite installment after 13, but 12 is my favorite, so what do I know?
    I like 7 but I do find Sephiroth overrated IMO.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  14. #89
    Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Not to me. Well 6 yeah, but 7 is easily my least favorite installment after 13, but 12 is my favorite, so what do I know?
    I liked the combat system in 12 alot and I think thats why I hated FF13 so much is they went back to more of a classic style for lack of a better word turn bassed system.

  15. #90
    Gone
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Outside looking in
    Posts
    14,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    1) Guy slides his hand down the side of Lara's body
    2) Lara kills him.

    There's your "rape".
    That´s it?
    All this hoopla because a random bad guy gets shot in the face after making an unwanted advance on the heroine?
    Man, people need to dring a big fat cup of - Chiiiiiiiill!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •