Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Angry Lara Croft gets a rapey reboot

Report from Penny Arcade

Another grim and rapey reboot of a character that, for better or worse, was created as a symbol of female power. I'm prepared to be righteously disgusted.

I've never been a huge follower of the Lara Croft games; I prefer to make my own characters. Still, the character herself is or was interesting. So she was made to be sexually appealing to male gamers. So what? There's something wrong with kicking ass and looking good doing it?

There's something about making a character like that much younger and less skilled that I intensely dislike.

It's not about realism or artistic freedom; it's about genre. Lara Croft was a major figure in a recognizable genre about intrepid and omnicompetent explorers; she was an Indiana Jones figure. Rape doesn't really fit well in the genre, any more than it belongs in a superhero comic, a Robin Hood story, an Errol Flynn style swashbuckler, or a Flash Gordon type space opera.

This doesn't mean that rape does not occur in the quasi-modern world that's the typical superhero setting. Rape was quite common in medieval England, too. Among historical pirates? Probably several times a day. And humans being what they are, it won't have gone away in a Flash Gordon future either.

So what? All of these arguments boil down to "rape is real, so we get to use it." Yes, rape is real; it happens. This isn't about reality; it's about genre, which means it's also about the reasonable expectations of the consumers of fiction. Readers turn to genres they enjoy because they reasonably expect a certain kind of entertainment from it. Date rape is a serious problem that is part of our world. This does not mean that Harlequin romances will be made deeper or more interesting by adding it to their plots.

Likewise, the notion that Lara Croft becomes more interesting by turning her into a rape victim and a damsel in distress from the slasher genre is rubbish.

Writers who inject grim unpleasantness into the genres in the name of "realism" are taking a stance that they're deeper, more engaged, and more 'relevant' than the writers who founded the genre and created the market niche they're working in. My creative genius excuses me from creating what you thought you were getting on the cover. This is a sort of consumer fraud. Writers who adopt this pretentious stance need a stiff round of axhandle therapy.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

They really don't know what to do with that character to go that road.

The games were getting stale and so was the character. A reboot is the right choice, IMO.

To me this is an old non-issue. The team at CD already responded to these complaints, and it pretty boils down to the fact that despite what that trailer intimates, there is no rape. What we see is the actual encounter, more or less in full: Guy tries to get fresh, Lara beats the shit out of him and shoots him in the face. The end.

Of course if you've seen any footage that has come out since June, such as footage that does show this encounter in full, you'd know this. The guy trying to get fresh does not make her a rape victim, and it certainly doesn't make her a damsel in distress.

Though, you could be trying to start an inflammatory topic, in which case bravo.

The reboot itself was needed, imo. CD had kind of run the franchise into the ground after Underworld.

How is she a rape victim when there was no rape? How is she a damsel in distress when she defended herself? That article is retarded. This is no better than Fox News going on about explicit sex scenes in Mass Effect that didn't actually exist.

We are upset about the empowered female character who's original push as a videogame characters was adds highlighting her tits?

Wait, IS Lara Croft going to be raped in this new game or not?

Is it going to be like a QTE, or something like those God of War mini-games, but instead of having sex, it'll be fending off the attacking rapist?

Quote Originally Posted by cbrer View Post
    Wait, IS Lara Croft going to be raped in this new game or not?

Is it going to be like a QTE, or something like those God of War mini-games, but instead of having sex, it'll be fending off the attacking rapist?
    No.

1) Guy slides his hand down the side of Lara's body
    2) Lara kills him.

There's your "rape".

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    No.

2) Lara kills him.

There's your "rape".
    Ah I see.

That article is hilarious then.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Been known for a few months now...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Likewise, the notion that Lara Croft becomes more interesting by turning her into a rape victim and a damsel in distress from the slasher genre is rubbish.
    If anything, wouldn't a rape victim turning in to a strong and admirable woman like Lara Croft be a good example for pro-feminism? A genuine question. I can see the perspective of your argument, but I don't think that's where the devs are coming from. I don't think they're doing it just to make her more interesting.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    No.

2) Lara kills him.

There's your "rape".
    So Lara is an ovverating murderer?

Come to think of it ,women have never been respected in games all that much .And any way this is less demoralizing then princess peach in a mario game.At lest croft is become more of a Heroin then a sex symbol.

Lara Croft actually become more of a formerly famous character who lost luster because no one cared about many of her games really.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I can see why Square is trying to reboot Lara Croft as a franchise. Maybe that is better than how the games slowly got stale really. At the end of the day , there wasn't any rape as we saw.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkmetal View Post
    Come to think of it ,women have never been respected in games all that much .And any way this is less demoralizing then princess peach in a mario game.At lest croft is become more of a Heroin then a sex symbol.
    What about Samus from Metroid?