View Poll Results: Should BATMAN FAMILY return as an ongoing title?

Voters
53. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • YEA

38 71.70%
  • NAY

15 28.30%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    I wouldn't mind that personally, but I don't think it will happen, for one big reason. Everything is being written for the trade collection nowadays. And they like those to read like one long story.

I have a lot of personal frustrations with this. Many times, I have a hard time remembering all of the details that transpired thirty days or more beforehand. Especially since DC refuses to put a "story so far" summary at the beginning, like Marvel. I usually end up at least skimming through the previous parts of the story to refresh my mind before I read the next installment.
    There's a difference between Part 3 of 6 and pages 41 - 60 of a 120 page story. Some kind of start, middle, finish to the middle parts of a multi-part arc would give individual issues some kind of value by themselves. Goodwin and Simonson's Manhunter had this. Watchmen had this. One big story with individual pieces that functioned both together and separately.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

I don't know. The original Batman Family was an anthology title. That won't be back; anthology titles don't sell today.
    Just because at one time that was true, it doesn't mean it always will be. People need to get out of the habit of writing things off forever. There are no absolutes for all time. There was a time when the conventional wisdom said super-heroes didn't sell anymore and that they never would again. Then came Justice League and Fantastic Four, and flash-forward 50 years, we can't get away from super-heroes to save our lives.

DC has an anthology title right now that features Batman Beyond, Superman Beyond and Justice League Beyond, in separate stories each month, and that seems to do just fine. Maybe anthologies can come back. Maybe it's time to stop assuming they will never sell.

I'd love to see the Batman Family Comic return as long as they stayed true to the original. One shots are a must and i loved how the old book was broken into parts. It was like getting three or four issues in one. I also like the idea that this book be out of the continuity, it gives the writers the freedom to draw from batman's entire history. I like the Nu52, but hate the idea that its the be all end all of the DC universe. I'd like to see stories and art based on the old Bill Finger and Bob Kane Style one month and the next one based on Neil Adams and Denny O'neil style, just for example. If they made it a kind of universal Bat Title and i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

No, the current Bat family cross over enough as seems to be DC's desire, and this would just be another book with 6 issues arcs or something close to that so they can fit it in the trade. There are also enough Batman books already, so unless this was to replace INC or something then no this wouldn't be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    That's honestly the first I've ever heard of this. I've read stories from that time period, of course, but they've all been reprints in trades.

Why were there so few pages per issue at that point in time?
    I'm not really sure, but I'm assuming it was related to costs . . . if you cut a page or two from stories, you can add an extra page for ads and delay raising the price of the comic book. And, by the way, look at Marvel comic books these days . . . don't they sometimes only have 18 or 19 pages of story but still charge $2.99 or even $3.99?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

BANNED

Just turn Inc into this after Morrison leaves. No need for another Bat book. The family books need a shaking up. Catwoman is in desperate need of a new writer and Nightwing needs a stronger direction and story arcs (Higgins gets Dick's voice pretty well, he just needs some plots).

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentor View Post
    There are also enough Batman books already, so unless this was to replace INC or something then no this wouldn't be needed.
    I'd be perfectly fine with a monthly, double or triple-sized Batman Family comic replacing the current Nightwing, Batgirl, and Batwing comics, while also incorporating (Red) Robin stories.

I don't know. The original Batman Family was an anthology title. That won't be back; anthology titles don't sell today.
    I think that depends on what the anthology contains. I'm sure if one would sell well it would be a Batman related one.

Meanwhile...

I'm not sure why people are saying such a title wouldn't have a place. First off, the family itself isn't that large and shouldn't include related characters (such as Batwing or Black Canary unless they are teaming up with one of the family). Revolving storyline headliners but an emphasis on those without solos. I think this would be a great home for Red Robin's Gotham adventures for example. Play around with the Nightwing and Batgirl relationship. You know, those storylines that we're interested in but don't really fit within their solos or current team books. I mean, Tim and Jason need their own stories that doesn't always demand their teams. I would like to see it as the family aspect of this group. You know, not only deal with punching bad guys but dealing with the personal aspect of what's happened. I want action but some quiet stories too. I'm sure there are some things writers would like to play around with but end up not having the room.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

With the rumoured weekly title for Batman to replace some of up to a possible 16 upcoming title cancellations, could the book in question in fact be Batman Family? A book such as this is tailor made for rotating artists and writers.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Making Mischief The Great Grape's Avatar

If -

1. The cost question could be navigated around
    2. It rotated characters in, out, and back in again while including enough to keep me interested, why not.
    Stuff people complain about on boards is stuff that sells best.Stuff boards & Tumblr support almost uniformly sells poorly.I am not happy about this,it makes me sad.But itís true-Gail Simone(edit)