Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thunderbolts #2 *Spoilers*

Spoilers from issue #2:

spoilers:
    We again have the story taking place over a couple of different time frames. The book opens with Ross at a bar in Madripoor four months ago, overhearing some horrible things about Kata Jaya from a man who is then summarily kicked out of the bar. Ross leaves and helps the guy up.

We jump to 'two weeks ago' with the entire team assembled in Madripoor, with the team's mission to assassinate the brutal dictator of Kata Jaya. Elektra asks Castle the question we all want to know: What's up with the red skull? Apparently, this chestplate is infused with Gamma Radiation that should stop anything 'short of a depleted uranium round.' With the motif apparently set, Venom decides to comply and changes his typical white stripes into red as well. Ross is getting his intel from a third-party, and using this intel he puts Elektra and Deadpool up to bat in an attempt to gain access to the dictator's palace and assassinate him (they come in out of the water at a dock). Their intel is apparently incorrect, as they are ambushed. After a short bit of fighting, Deadpool thinks are too hot for Elektra, saying there's too many for 'pretty ladies who don't have unstoppable healing factors' and he grabs her (as she throws one of her swords into a guard's head...loved it!) and they dive back into the water. This however just seems to make the issue worse, as the soldiers receive orders to hold fire, and Elektra and Deadpool resurface on a submarine. Guards come out telling them to surrender, and Deadpool gets a nice little fantasy sequence before he is shot in the head and they are captured.

In the current time frame, Ross as Rulk is meeting with what appears to be top Kata Jaya officials, basically telling them that he's there to take down the dictator and it will then be up to them to elect more responsible leadership. As this is going on, we get a glimpse at the dictator's brutality as his soldiers enter a family dwelling with the intent to round up and murder the occupants on suspicion of being traitors. Before they can carry out this heinous act, Castle and Venom leap to the rescue, with Castle using the military forces' own weapon mounted vehicle against them. This is also where we get a better understanding of why the dictator is so dangerous: he has gotten access to gamma radiation weapons.

Back at their make-shift base Venom and Castle have a bit of an argument with Ross about their lack of reliable intel. Ross states that since they are a volunteer group with the ability to leave when they want, it is his discretion to let them in on what intel he has, and he says that there will be things that he will not, and cannot tell them. Especially until he knows them, which references back to his third-party resource. He states that this resource is out of practice and slow, but that he is remedying it...we then cut away to see the Leader strapped down in a cargo crate apparently being subjected to further gamma radiation or something, revealing that he is Ross' source of intel.

*disclaimer* With the changes in time frame, I just listed everything chronologically. In the issue, the 'two weeks ago' and 'now' segments are interspersed.
    end of spoilers

Overall, I do think that this was an improvement over the first issue. We get details on their mission, and we already have two team members in peril. Dillon's art looks even better than the first issue imo, and really suits this book. Each of the character interactions feels believable and relaxed, and I particularly enjoyed Elektra and Deadpool's section.

I know I am an eternal optimist when it comes to books with Elektra, but I shall bestow upon this book a 4/5 rating.

I liked it a lot, too, and definitely felt it was a notable jump up from the first issue. Seeing the team together and on mission shows more of what kind of chemistry this group will have and the overall direction of the book is coming together nicely.

Bound to be let down when you have to read Deadpool written by Daniel Way after you've read him written by Rick Remender in the same day. I'd forgotten how annoyingly and poorly used this 'poolvision concept of his was. Whatever. At least stuff is happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fist of Goa View Post
    Bound to be let down when you have to read Deadpool written by Daniel Way after you've read him written by Rick Remender in the same day. I'd forgotten how annoying and poorly used this 'poolvision concept of his was. Whatever. At least stuff is happening now.
    I have to agree with you there that deadpool scene came out of nowhere and i felt like he was writing him decently before that, in the issue.

read the issue an hour or two ago and it was pretty good a lot more happen here then in the beginning.
    Last edited by GreenComixEnvy; 12-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.

I enjoyed this issue and it was good to see the team in action. I was wondering what that scene with Deadpool hallucinating was about, is this something Way did a lot with him during his series? I am curious as to what they are doing with the Red Leader and whether he is a willing member of the team.
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    I enjoyed this issue and it was good to see the team in action. I was wondering what that scene with Deadpool hallucinating was about, is this something Way did a lot with him during his series? I am curious as to what they are doing with the Red Leader and whether he is a willing member of the team.
    Considering his history with Ross, he might no be a willing member.

With the way he's strapped down, my first inclination is to think he may not be entirely willing!

I have to say that I am glad that Elektra and Deadpool were put together as a little team, I was kind of hoping that they would be. I always thought it would make for the most interesting characterization to have Elektra-Deadpool and Frank-Flash.

As for Deadpool's 'hallucination', I actually thought it was pretty entertaining. It may have not made much sense, but to me that was the beauty of it. I was hoping Elektra would have a bit more time to react to his weirdness before he got capped in the head, but we should have plenty more opportunities for that.

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    It's a concept he introduced at the beginning of his Deadpool run called "'poolvision". He usually only used it for a page, like in this issue. It seemed kind of interesting at first but i found the way he implemented it to be hamfisted and annoying (like most of his run on the book, tbh). Thankfully, for the most part, he dropped it pretty early. I'm actually kind of surprised to see him bring it back, and i don't really expect it to be a thing in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    I have to say that I am glad that Elektra and Deadpool were put together as a little team, I was kind of hoping that they would be. I always thought it would make for the most interesting characterization to have Elektra-Deadpool and Frank-Flash.
    I liked them as a team, but when Deadpool pushed her out of harms way, that seemed off to me. Considering her recent past appearances, she should have been the one to either push Wade out of the way, kick ass all over that team or have Wade turn around and say "where'd you go?!".
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    I liked them as a team, but when Deadpool pushed her out of harms way, that seemed off to me. Considering her recent past appearances, she should have been the one to either push Wade out of the way, kick ass all over that team or have Wade turn around and say "where'd you go?!".
    To me it didn't seem that out of character for him to want to protect her, but I do think it was entertaining and in character for her to not think that there were too many, and that she still was taking people out even as Deadpool pulled her to safety. I think she probably could have handled most of those dudes on her own, but I also think it is important for Way to start demonstrating that these people are a team, and that they will be acting as such.

Deadpool's concern for Elektra's safety, Elektra taking notice of Frank's discomfort, and Flash angry about the lack of valid intel that compromised the team were all good 'team' moments, imo.

The only thing that seemed slightly out of character was the language Elektra used when she and Deadpool were being confronted by the guards on the submarine, but I am willing to write that off as she was probably pretty pissed at Deadpool.

To me it didn't seem that out of character for him to want to protect her, but I do think it was entertaining and in character for her to not think that there were too many, and that she still was taking people out even as Deadpool pulled her to safety. I think she probably could have handled most of those dudes on her own, but I also think it is important for Way to start demonstrating that these people are a team, and that they will be acting as such.

Deadpool's concern for Elektra's safety, Elektra taking notice of Frank's discomfort, and Flash angry about the lack of valid intel that compromised the team were all good 'team' moments, imo.

The only thing that seemed slightly out of character was the language Elektra used when she and Deadpool were being confronted by the guards on the submarine, but I am willing to write that off as she was probably pretty pissed at Deadpool.
    Not protective Deadpool out of character, the fact that Elektra needed ANY protection or even allowed Wade to actually touch her was a bit off to me.

I can understand that, but I will accept that he simply caught her off guard when he grabbed and jumped back into the water. I wonder what their conversation will be like when they are in captivity. As far as I know, Deadpool doesn't really know what she's capable of, and will probably pay dearly for assuming she couldn't handle it.

Also, I will give Way wiggle room for needing to give the rest of the team more motivation than 'bad guy needs to die' to complete the mission: they now have two compatriots that have been compromised, and thus he's added some agency to the story.

This was better than the first issue but still not feeling wither the art or the dialogue. The unessesary pool-o-vision scene just reminded me how much I cant stand how Daniel Way writes Deadpool. The art also takes me away from the story cause I just cant stand everyone looking the same. Also, Elektra could of taken down those guys single-handedly, so Deadpools reasoning didnt make sense. The reason for all the red symbols was a little far fetched, and the concept is still ugly to the eyes. Plus, why would anyone trust the Leader for reliable intel? Ross should be smarter than that.

I will wait for the next issue to decide on this series, but I am very unimpressed thus far. Pacing needs to improve.

I can understand that, but I will accept that he simply caught her off guard when he grabbed and jumped back into the water. I wonder what their conversation will be like when they are in captivity. As far as I know, Deadpool doesn't really know what she's capable of, and will probably pay dearly for assuming she couldn't handle it.

Also, I will give Way wiggle room for needing to give the rest of the team more motivation than 'bad guy needs to die' to complete the mission: they now have two compatriots that have been compromised, and thus he's added some agency to the story.
    True. It's a minor nitpick on my part. Otherwise enjoying the book a lot.

I wouldn't call it a nitpick so much as just being observant of these character traits, which is never a bad thing. I'm glad you're enjoying the book also; I know it's not top tier but this issue was supremely better than the first, and makes me continually hopeful for the title in the future.