Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Avenger Arena #2 *Spoilers*

Deathlocket heavy issue. After the second death (which is shown in the preview) Rebecca gets her origin told in flashbacks. She then hooks up with the Braddock Academy kids. As they sit around the fire Apex gives Rebecca a short introduction to each of them. Bloodstone and Anachronism are my favourites. Anachronism inherited the body of an immortal celtic warlord six months ago but "still has the self confidence of a chubby video gamer stuffed down in a bag of crisps" (Crisps not chips - nice attention to British detail). Kid Briton and Nara are the other 2 BA students.

Apart from that only Cami really appears, Hazmat has a short scene at the beginning being a bit of a bitch.

The characters are great, the art is spectacular and I'm keen to find out what happens next. No new info on Arcade's plan in this issue, also nothing to suggest that it is a virtual reality either. I guess we'll have to keep reading.

Highly recommended!

It was even better than the first one!!!!! LOVED IT!
    Red Raven really is dead. :D
    It's so not virtual reality.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Yeah I liked Anachronism too. I want to see that immortal Celtic warlord in action!
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

Great issue, loving the new characters.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Great issue, loving the new characters.
    Yeah me too. For me, a lot of their appeal is due to the setting they are in.

It's like the forbidden fruit. You don't want to get TOO attached because they probably will die a horrific death, but you just can't help yourself.
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    It was even better than the first one!!!!! LOVED IT!
    Red Raven really is dead. :D
    It's so not virtual reality.
    How do you know it isn't a virtual reality?

Because, really, there's been more evidence that it is then there is to it being real.
    Wonder Man > Wonder Woman

All of entertainment can be boiled down to either Sex or Death

No amount of modern revisionism by the vocal internet minority can change the good work Bendis has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonage2ftw View Post
    How do you know it isn't a virtual reality?

Because, really, there's been more evidence that it is then there is to it being real.
    Not really IMO, that's just conformation bias from those who don't want to accept that Mettle is dead.

This was pretty much the Braddock Academy book before it got turned into Avengers Arena.

Okay writing and good art still, yet the concept doesn't interest me at all, and I'm pretty sure that's not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    Yeah me too. For me, a lot of their appeal is due to the setting they are in.

It's like the forbidden fruit. You don't want to get TOO attached because they probably will die a horrific death, but you just can't help yourself.
    It shows how clued-in Hopeless is. He knows that to make the book truly work then we have to care, and to be fair, he told us long ago that he loves the Braddock kids, and that he knows we will too.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Not really IMO, that's just conformation bias from those who don't want to accept that Mettle is dead.
    True.
    Besides Red Raven died before even being introduced. She will stay dead.There is no point seeing her alive. So , no virtual reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    The "Error Error" from sentinel was a pretty good hint.

The fact that Arcade is now basically the beyonder without any explanation, added with the fact that Arcade is good with VR's and robots all lead to it most likely being a virtual reality.

No amount of modern revisionism by the vocal internet minority can change the good work Bendis has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    True.
    Besides Red Raven died before even being introduced. She will stay dead.There is no point seeing her alive. So , no virtual reality.
    What does red ravens death have to do with it not being a VR? Aside from the fact RR's a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonage2ftw View Post
    The "Error Error" from sentinel was a pretty good hint.

The fact that Arcade is now basically the beyonder without any explanation, added with the fact that Arcade is good with VR's and robots all lead to it most likely being a virtual reality.
    It's all supposition. HME says there's nothing to further indicate a VR situation in the issue, and I agree.

Best not to let the supposition become assumption, and best leave that discussion to the other thread, while staying focused on the issue here.

Honestly? This issue was much better than the first one.

Red Raven's death was honestly worthless and a big drawback to the issue overall. It really works against Hopeless' constant assurances that "I want them all to be Katniss" and "It's not a meat grinder". She had no lines and apparently existed only to do the fight or flight sight gag. Hazmat might be going a bit sad-villain rout (which I do dislike due to its predictability) and hints that the older kids will be ground down for the new crop in ignoble means, but overall the issue was pretty darn good.

Kev Walker art remains amazing, but special nod to the colorist Frank Martin & Jean-Francois Beaulieu for setting the mood of each flashback with each color saturation. You can see the glimpses of what the Braddock Academy series would have been like if not for Arena, with Deathlockette (which apparently is three syllables) being the POV character for that.

It also lacks many of the things I complained about in the prior issue (Arcade, OOC characterization), but it has something else that is bothersome -- dichotomy. Some parts are clearly trying to be comedic, but it does not match the overall tone of both the narrative or the art. There's the fight or flight sight gag, there's the "Sorry, sorry, sorry" running away . . . If there's a third, I don't remember it. I wish Rule of 3 was obeyed (or someone points it out). Regardless, they stand out a bit too much.

Despite now really showing up and no real 'rules' being laid down yet, Arcade's power and mystery grow. I suspect that if it's not just VR (which I doubt now, sadly, if only for the list of chosen targets given what we learn of Deathlockette), he's operating from a pre-set list and there may be something temporal going on. I suspect a connection to the Ultron War, trying to get rid of some big players from Kang's forces or something like that.

Of course, Arcade is all sorts off dumb working for a being that wants to eliminate all organic life . . . unless he altered that situation.

That set up and premise still cast it's dark shadow over the story to an overall negative effect.

Overall, I give it 3/5. It's got a lot of good, but the specter of the past lingers over it. If the average issue is like this, the series may just be 'worth it' depending on the 'final' body count. Makes me wish we just got a Braddock Academy story instead. If we got those flashbacks and that POV work in that with a less divisive premise, I'd probably give it a higher score.
    Last edited by Majin Gojira; 12-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

I kinda want a map at the end of each issue to know where everyone's at on the island.

I'm torn on how much of each issue should be devoted to backstory, if they're just going to die anyway, but I'm sure some people will appreciate it. I'm glad Hopeless did jump into character interaction (like he said the book would be about) cause it's going to be those moments in between deaths that should be the strong points of the book.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com