Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

People are over-reacting. As many people have stated already, nothing in this issue says that Emerald Twilight never happened and in fact several previous issues confirms that it did happen (at least in some form).

All this issue proves is that 2 years ago, Kyle goes to Oa for the first time and gets 'official' training. It could easily take place after the Corps is resurrected, since before that he would have no reason to go to Oa, and he would have been relying on 'un-official' training that Ganthet provided.

If we are to look at just the facts, as provided by only New-52 GL issues, there is way more evidence saying Emerald Twilight DID happen, compared to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
    I told everyone this was a reboot and a completely new universe but nobody would listen
    Lol. Yeah, that's what i used to tell before but it just seems to off the top of their everyone's head. Okay, once more, everybody repeat with me. N-E-W 5-2!!!

Sediar Sago going bunkers about continuity when there's only 15 issues out is so funny. Forget everything you know before, all you know is what you've read from the past 15 issues, that's all the continuity you have so far. If you didn't see in the past 15 issues, it didn't happen, even if DC said something or otherwise - and even then they might go back and make corrections just like what they they in TEEN TITANS about Red Robin. It's only natural that you have questions, but if you stick around and jeep reading, little by little your questions should be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
    . . . but if you stick around and jeep reading, little by little your questions should be answered.
    And keep forking over more money and more money to DC every month, they might share some potentially relevant crumbs of useful information, or maybe they won't.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And keep forking over more money and more money to DC every month, they might share some potentially relevant crumbs of useful information, or maybe they won't.
    Another point exactly.

If they are going to retcon things and/or not tell the history of this crazy universe, the LEAST they could do is come out with a one-shot that shows the history of the new 52. Do it as a prequel to Trinity War. Tie it in somehow. But just give us the information.

For example, the Batverse, count up the 4 main bat titles (Inc doesn't count because it's technically apart of the old universe from Morrison's standpoint) people have spent 191.36 dollars (And that's my lazy count, not counting the 3.99 jump on the titles) and all they have gotten from it is more confusion, decompressed history and a long lost brother of Batman (from a continuity standpoint). They should have done a FULL reboot or not at all. And even with the soft reboot, at least make it make sense. Ex: a 10 year old child when Batman became Batman only 6 years ago. Ummm. What? Wanna give us the backstory? Oh look the #0 issues, a perfect time to explain things! Maybe have a twist that Daiman was genetically enhanced and created to grow 10 years old in 5 years. Show that Batman had sex with Talia while on his trip around the world.

Nope? More confusion? Thanks DC.

I'm less mad at the retcon (Even though it's a new universe, they kept all of the old continuity for Batman and Green Lantern. Except for little changes that didn't need to be made) and more about the fact that DC editorial is a giant mess. Another example, Team 7 #0 and Deathstroke #0 both had different origins for Deathstroke. That shouldn't happen for a comic under the same banner and including the same character. Birds of Prey #0 with Batgirl being active. Do they even READ the other books in the DCnU?
    Last edited by SediarSago; 12-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.

That's what comics always have been, since time immemorial, haven't they? Even the first issues when every issue tells a complete story, you don't learn everything about anything unless you have read a considerable number of issues.

You can start at the middle and go back and forth towards the start and ending until you have a full story. They started with New 52 Green Lantern at five years out with before-5-years and after-5-years essentially blank so of course it's understandable that you don't know the entire background. Anyway, I don't think they teach writers at school to give all the information you need at the story. I think a writer worth his salt would only give info as they are needed, especially in ongoing comics which potentially would go on forever. From the past 15 issues, you did understand the story, right? These questions about Emerald Twilight happening or not happenning didn't really have anything to do with the story arcs being told so why would they tell anything about it. They would address Emerald Twilight if or when they have a story arc to cover it.

I think the problem with most is the moder disease of instant gratification. I can't wait, I want to know everything now! I want to know if Emerald Twilight happened now! I want to know if Blackest Night happened now! Get my drift?
    Last edited by timberwolf; 12-21-2012 at 10:32 AM.

And yeah, reading comics costs money so maybe I'll just take up hiking for a hobby which won't cost me a thing. But I can't live without comics so I still buy them. My choice so I don't really have any beef with DC or Marvel.

Deleted post, misread sediar Sago's post.
    Last edited by timberwolf; 12-20-2012 at 06:10 PM.

[QUOTE=timberwolf;16342783]
    Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    Another point exactly.

If they are going to retcon things and/or not tell the history of this crazy universe, the LEAST they could do is come out with a one-shot that shows the history of the new 52. Do it as a prequel to Trinity War. Tie it in somehow. But just give us the information.

Don't you wanna find out from the stories themselves/ or from the comics themselves? You're missing out if you want to know the information in bullet points. I think that's the whole point to comics, art plus tidbits of words to tell a story. If you want to read just words, then go read books, I assure it's much more filling.
    I misspoke. I was more saying if they are so reluctant to tell the story in their own books, just put it in a one-shot. And I was 83% sarcastic with that comment. But seriously, if they don't start telling history soon, I'm gonna be a little upset at DC. We are a year and a half into a reboot and the history is already a complete mess.

Wait a minute. I thought most readers were like me. They sent me a detailed outline of the upcoming details for the next year on all the titles I'm interested in. Seriously, people aren't paying for things they don't already know the intimate details of, right?

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandor Clegane View Post
    Agreed. Though enough is different (the Corps is quickly up and running, Guardians still around, Kilowog alive, the other 3 GLs active) that by the time of Kyle's training to suggest a very different ET and aftermath than we previously knew. That's if ET is still on the table. DC may be slowly retconning it away, piece by piece.

Which is funny. I figured ET would be the 3rd-to-last remnant of the post-Crisis DCU to die. I guess the other two might not be far off - Wally-as-Kid-Flash and Dick-as-Robin.

The first part yes, but I think the second part is a bit off. Johns' stated which Oan was the first to take a name (might have been Krona?), and also the first to reveal their name to a GL (Ganthet, in Secret Origin). That doesn't mean they never had names...just that they didn't reveal them until Ganthet did. Which isn't all that different from how things were pre-Crisis - it was a full 10 years before Hal ever found out the Guardians had names.
    Hmmm yes, seems you are right. My mistake, the Oans did have names but decided to abandon or just don't use them as they decided to devote themselves as Guardians of the Universe.

And yeah, if ET is still in continuity which I think it is, its not the same ET as we know. I am curious to know what changes are made in The New 52 to ET and post-ET era. Like, did Kilowog die and get resurrected? Seems needlessly complicated story to introduce. I am presuming the whole Guy Gardner Warrior thing is gone and that was the case since Hal's resurrection. Did Major Force kill Alex? Not so sure and we haven't seen the character introduced yet into continuity though Alex did die her original death. Did Kyle become Ion? I think he did and he does retain elements of being the Torchbearer from pre-reboot. But characters like his involvements with Donna Troy and Jade (who both seem to be removed from New Earth) are gone now so he has only ever had the one girlfriend in Alex. Was Kyle in the League? I... don't think so. That might be gone from continuity. Did Hal become Spectre? I... am uncertain about this and suspect its no longer the case maybe.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

It's very simple: No death of Superman -----> no destruction of Coast City ------> no Emerald Twilight...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NikNik View Post
    It's very simple: No death of Superman -----> no destruction of Coast City ------> no Emerald Twilight...
    Except Superman told Alec Holland in Swamp Thing #1 that he had died.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

I don`T care one way or another, but I think GL lore needs a clear timeline soon, or it will be flooded with bad continuity-patchwork and we`ll have Hawkman or Donna Troy all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Gee, I thought the Green Lantern section of the DCU wasn't getting rebooted.
    listen to writers not fans with no back up.,

and remember Zero Hour didn't happen...Hal didn't destroy the Earth's past, present and future with entropy.