Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    But Zola's child would be from the 21st century, not 20th. Unless it's the overall Zeus' lineage, not just the 20th century brood.
    Yeah, Orion says "the last of your line," which would mean the last of Zeus' kids, period. He probably doesn't know that Zeus had a kid after 2001, so he assumes the last of the group that Lennox mentions (the 20th century kids) is also likely the end of the line.

Sorry if I helped spoil it for you this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Olivera
    from what I've read it's probably another 5 minute read, with another 43200 minutes (a month) to wait for the next 5 minutes next month.
    We'll, pretty much--it's a 22-page comic book, so it's not going to take hours to read. Reading one of the Walt Simonson action-packed, word-packed Thor issues Brett talks about didn't take me that much longer. But I reread the Simonson issue and posted back and forth with Brett about it, and that made it worthwhile. And I've already reread WW #15 several times, and talked about it on here. that's in rereading and discussing that I feel I get your money's worth. You'll be happy to know that there aren't many silent panels, though. Maybe 2 or three with just grunts or sound effects. And if I remember right, there are only one or two full splash pages.
    Last edited by slvn; 12-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Good issue...my highlight is still Wesley Willis...I was able to meet him a couple times when he'd play in milwaukee...nice guy and always fun, it's nice to see this shout-out...

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Well, pretty much--it's a 22-page comic book ...
    Minus two! :)
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

The curious one.

We'll, pretty much--it's a 22-page comic book, so it's not going to take hours to read. Reading one of the Walt Simonson action-packed, word-packed Thor issues Brett talks about didn't take me that much longer. But I reread the Simonson issue and posted back and forth with Brett about it, and that made it worthwhile. And I've already reread WW #15 several times, and talked about it on here. that's in rereading and discussing that I feel I get your money's worth. You'll be happy to know that there aren't many silent panels, though. Maybe 2 or three with just grunts or sound effects. And if I remember right, there are only one or two full splash pages.
    It's the style of the title right now, but it does a bit slow overall. I picked up Empowered and it had a very fast paced, nuanced story that was done in one issue -and Emp wasn't even tied up as much as she usually is-, but I'm sure that Azarrello could that to if he wanted to. But this glacier like pace is something I also see in World's Finest and Justice League and Earth 2, so maybe this is just the way DC is going to make stuff from now on.

I think I prefer these slower paced issues that are very ďtalkyĒ over the more action based ones.

And oh man, it feels like there is so much going on. Lennox might be a bit of a bad egg after all. He hurt his sister? Whhyyy? Also why is he finding his siblings? Whatís his end goal? Is he working for someone else? Iíll actually be pretty bummed out if it turns out heís a bad guy. Itís kind of interesting that he says Milan is a nasty piece of work when it looks more like Milan just needs help and someone who understands him.

Iím not sure how I feel about Hephaestus just popping up out of nowhere to tinker with Dianaís cuffs. Iím kind of wondering why he feels he needs to do this. I donít think heís doing it just to protect Diana, I think heís playing a different game that probably ties into why he suddenly decided to help Hades. I did like his and Dianaís little exchange about Hippolyta. Though for me it felt more like a warning, like maybe thereís still something that Hippolyta has done that Diana doesnít know about yet, and that Diana might not agree with, but needs to remember that whatever Hippolyta did she did out of love. Maybe Iím just a glaring cynic though. Still nice to hear about Hippolyta. I kinda miss her. Iím also wondering, since I think thereís a lot more going on than what weíre just seeing now, how much Hippolyta knew.

Speaking of Dianaís cuffs and there new power, I like the nod to Planetary there. I wonder if she can summon other weapons with them?

Zola and Hera make a great comedy duo. I think Zola is probably going to ďaccidentlyĒ lose Hera. But sheíll probably find her again. I kinda want them to become friends. And where did Hera get her fabulous dress from? Iím going to have to assume that itís Dianaís. Thereís also something very fun about whatís being said on the tv when Zola and Hera are flicking through the channels, give it a reread, itís somewhat illuminating and quite amusing. Or maybe I read too much into it.

Orion was great. I liked his and Milanís interactions. Looking forward to the fight next issue. I liked the Firstbornís skirt thing. He looks good in it, and Chiang makes him look fearsome. Bring on his fight with the ice beasts.

Overall itís another solid issue. The only complaint I really have, and itís a small one, is I wish Chiang wouldnít have Diana jumping into battle. Canít she just run? Especially since the jump isnít actually part of her attack. I find it quite irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    I think I prefer these slower paced issues that are very “talky” over the more action based ones.

And oh man, it feels like there is so much going on. Lennox might be a bit of a bad egg after all. He hurt his sister? Whhyyy? Also why is he finding his siblings? What’s his end goal? Is he working for someone else? I’ll actually be pretty bummed out if it turns out he’s a bad guy. It’s kind of interesting that he says Milan is a nasty piece of work when it looks more like Milan just needs help and someone who understands him.

I’m not sure how I feel about Hephaestus just popping up out of nowhere to tinker with Diana’s cuffs. I’m kind of wondering why he feels he needs to do this. I don’t think he’s doing it just to protect Diana, I think he’s playing a different game that probably ties into why he suddenly decided to help Hades. I did like his and Diana’s little exchange about Hippolyta. Though for me it felt more like a warning, like maybe there’s still something that Hippolyta has done that Diana doesn’t know about yet, and that Diana might not agree with, but needs to remember that whatever Hippolyta did she did out of love. Maybe I’m just a glaring cynic though. Still nice to hear about Hippolyta. I kinda miss her. I’m also wondering, since I think there’s a lot more going on than what we’re just seeing now, how much Hippolyta knew.

Speaking of Diana’s cuffs and there new power, I like the nod to Planetary there. I wonder if she can summon other weapons with them?

Zola and Hera make a great comedy duo. I think Zola is probably going to “accidently” lose Hera. But she’ll probably find her again. I kinda want them to become friends. And where did Hera get her fabulous dress from? I’m going to have to assume that it’s Diana’s. There’s also something very fun about what’s being said on the tv when Zola and Hera are flicking through the channels, give it a reread, it’s somewhat illuminating and quite amusing. Or maybe I read too much into it.

Orion was great. I liked his and Milan’s interactions. Looking forward to the fight next issue. I liked the Firstborn’s skirt thing. He looks good in it, and Chiang makes him look fearsome. Bring on his fight with the ice beasts.

Overall it’s another solid issue. The only complaint I really have, and it’s a small one, is I wish Chiang wouldn’t have Diana jumping into battle. Can’t she just run? Especially since the jump isn’t actually part of her attack. I find it quite irritating.
    I don't know any other way to feel about the Hephaestus scene other than to say that it's very "convenient" that a god shows up and gives her a new toy and/or power when she needs it. I also wonder why two swords "appearing" by magic are better than the already not-established God-Mode. I think Wonder Woman's bracelets is the equivalent of Green Lantern's power ring or Batman's Utility Belt. What is she going to do with them next? Make Ice Cream Cones appear when she's hungry?

On a positive note: I really need to compliment Chiang. His work is getting better and better when it comes to drawing Wonder Woman herself, especially in the apartment scenes with Hera and Lennox. I won't speak of the scene when they first go underground or I'll end up on a negative note. Somebody beat those 2 pages with an ugly stick!

Oops.. did it anyway!

These powers keep make me scratch my head. What are her actual powers now and are they going to be used consistently? Why is it we see it nowhere else? She kept flight, so I wonder if she will use it when fighting against Orion. The power of flight feels like a waste of time to her in this book. So is she now able to have two swords appear from her bracers or is it just a one off tinker? You know she could have totally blinded Darkseid. ;) And why not just take off the cuffs? And her lasso is supposed to do stuff too, isn't it? It killed a big monster from hell.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    I don't know any other way to feel about the Hephaestus scene other than to say that it's very "convenient" that a god shows up and gives her a new toy and/or power when she needs it.
    I didn't take this as a coincidence. He's Hephaestus; he has probably made surveillance systems that make Brother Eye look like a glass held up against the wall. He knew where to find Wonder Woman, and I think he knew Wonder Woman was about to run into Orion (and maybe other threats, Hermes and the First Born and War, in the near future), and he came to see her because he knew she might need to access more power.

I also wonder why two swords "appearing" by magic are better than the already not-established God-Mode.
    It's an interesting question to think about. We hear from Lennox in this issue that power inherited from Zeus can dangerous or harmful to the heir, right? I think Heph made the cuffs, probably at Hippolyta's request, to help Diana keep her power tamped down and under control. The issue is titled "The Burden of God," and Milan says his ability is a curse; the idea that "god power" can be a burden or curse seems like a pretty big theme here. But now she needs more power for what's she going to face, and she's grown up and more prepared to control that power--as she proved against Artemis--so Heph is adjusting the bracelets to let more power through, while still keeping it udner control and channeling it into a constructive form. Why in the form of swords? I don't know, but that could easily be a smith's idea of a shape useful power might take, right?

Plus, Heph might realize that if Wonder Woman has to face Orion, she might have to take the cuffs off, if she's not able to access enough power with them on. And again, using full-on, no-cuffs god mode may be inherently dangerous--or it might bring further unwanted attention from Apollo and the Olympians, who have already been alarmed by what she can do with the cuffs off.

I think Wonder Woman's bracelets is the equivalent of Green Lantern's power ring or Batman's Utility Belt. What is she going to do with them next? Make Ice Cream Cones appear when she's hungry?
    I guess one way of thinking about that it, "why shouldn't she have her own equivalent of the power ring or the utility belt?" Another is--"well, we'll see." God mode is new, and the cuffs have just been adjusted--there's plenty of time to define what they can do.
    Last edited by slvn; 12-19-2012 at 05:27 PM.

I am flipping loving the gauntlet blade action. Also the supporting cast was particularly strong this issue. It's too bad these issues aren't longer! I bet the artists love that though.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I didn't take this as a coincidence. He's Hephaestus; he has probably made surveillance systems that make Brother Eye look like a glass held up against the wall. He knew where to find Wonder Woman, and I think he knew Wonder Woman was about to run into Orion (and maybe other threats, Hermes and the First Born and War, in the near future), and he came to see her because he knew she might need to access more power.

It's an interesting question to think about. We hear from Lennox in this issue that power inherited from Zeus can dangerous or harmful to the heir, right? I think Heph made the cuffs, probably at Hippolyta's request, to help Diana keep her power tamped down and under control. The issue is titled "The Burden of God," and Milan says his ability is a curse; the idea that "god power" can be a burden or curse seems like a pretty big theme here. But now she needs more power for what's she going to face, and she's grown up and more prepared to control that power--as she proved against Artemis--so Heph is adjusting the bracelets to let more power through, while still keeping it udner control and channeling it into a constructive form. Why in the form of swords? I don't know, but that could easily be a smith's idea of a shape useful power might take, right?

Plus, Heph might realize that if Wonder Woman has to face Orion, she might have to take the cuffs off, if she's not able to access enough power with them on. And again, using full-on, no-cuffs god mode may be inherently dangerous--or it might bring further unwanted attention from Apollo and the Olympians, who have already been alarmed by what she can do with the cuffs off.

I guess one way of thinking about that it, "why shouldn't she have her own equivalent of the power ring or the utility belt?" Another is--"well, we'll see." God mode is new, and the cuffs have just been adjusted--there's plenty of time to define what they can do.
    I'll never deny your optimism and ability to conjure possible alternate scenarios in a given situation.. but to be honest, I think when Diana faced Apollo and got her rear end handed to her she was probably in way more danger than facing Orion. Heph must've been busy picking up more Manazons from Paradise Island! (or Snakeazons at this point in time.. lol). Plus, you could fit in a thimble all I know about Orion, but is he THAT powerful that she would need more power?

On your reply to my "power-ring/Utility Belt" analogy: I don't mind if Wonder Woman is given "new" powers or trinkets.. as long as it's going to STICK across the board. If a movie is ever made (big IF) will these be incorporated? Never mind a movie even... in OTHER comics (JL) period. I guess I'd feel more comfortable if they'd just explain a new power (God-Mode) before introducing an even newer one. At least in Gail Simone's run (or was it Rucka?) when her bracelets started to throw off lightning bolts a 1-panel (or 2) explanation was given. Well, at least THIS ONE has an explanation on-camera (Hephaestus). I wish we'd had one for the God Mode.

I guess this would just all be a lot better (for me) in Trade. With today's decompressed style of writing (across the board now) it's like reading War and Peace one paragraph per month. I'm not even blaming Azzarello now.. it's a whole new style that's been adopted across a large part of the comics industry. I'm somewhere between you and Brett on this one.

Zola really makes a good point. Hera should be going after Zeus instead of his lovers.

When Milan is about to eat the sandwich he's found he says "Say Rah". What does this mean?

This might be wacky, but to me, it's almost as if the original line was "Sub Way" and was changed. I say this because his next line is "Eat Fresh".

And yes, that is the food chain Subway's marketing line, "Subway. Eat Fresh".

But "subway" would certainly work with reference to the joyrides/hellrides as well.
    "With Green Lantern, it's easy to see now that characters don't go stale, the creators do. Get the right writer and artist on the book and success is always possible. - CBR member Brett Tolino"

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    When Milan is about to eat the sandwich he's found he says "Say Rah". What does this mean?

This might be wacky, but to me, it's almost as if the original line was "Sub Way" and was changed. I say this because his next line is "Eat Fresh".

And yes, that is the food chain Subway's marketing line, "Subway. Eat Fresh".

But "subway" would certainly work with reference to the joyrides/hellrides as well.
    LOL.. wow.. what a thing to catch!

To me it's "Say Ahhh" as in "open your mouth, the food is coming in!"

LOL.. wow.. what a thing to catch!

To me it's "Say Ahhh" as in "open your mouth, the food is coming in!"
    You know...that would definitely make more sense Rob_Olivera. I agree. But I double-checked and it does say "Say Rah..."

And...the whole part about "With Avacodo Super Food"...that's straight out of Subway's recent marketing. I think it's got to be something.

Not too mention if Milan has some sort of 'future sight'/oracle power, then they could not only be a Subway commercial but foreshadowing. "One man's trash" = could refer to Milan himslef, "Rock on" = Lennox. With avocado super food = Wonder Woman.

And of course Orion comes in with "Time FLIES". Good stuff Azzarello.
    "With Green Lantern, it's easy to see now that characters don't go stale, the creators do. Get the right writer and artist on the book and success is always possible. - CBR member Brett Tolino"

I'll never deny your optimism and ability to conjure possible alternate scenarios in a given situation.. but to be honest, I think when Diana faced Apollo and got her rear end handed to her she was probably in way more danger than facing Orion. Heph must've been busy picking up more Manazons from Paradise Island! (or Snakeazons at this point in time.. lol). Plus, you could fit in a thimble all I know about Orion, but is he THAT powerful that she would need more power?

On your reply to my "power-ring/Utility Belt" analogy: I don't mind if Wonder Woman is given "new" powers or trinkets.. as long as it's going to STICK across the board. If a movie is ever made (big IF) will these be incorporated? Never mind a movie even... in OTHER comics (JL) period. I guess I'd feel more comfortable if they'd just explain a new power (God-Mode) before introducing an even newer one. At least in Gail Simone's run (or was it Rucka?) when her bracelets started to throw off lightning bolts a 1-panel (or 2) explanation was given. Well, at least THIS ONE has an explanation on-camera (Hephaestus). I wish we'd had one for the God Mode.

I guess this would just all be a lot better (for me) in Trade. With today's decompressed style of writing (across the board now) it's like reading War and Peace one paragraph per month. I'm not even blaming Azzarello now.. it's a whole new style that's been adopted across a large part of the comics industry. I'm somewhere between you and Brett on this one.
    Yeah He is that Powerful. He has beat Superman Soundly Multiple times and Can Go One on One with Darkseid when He is Top Form.