View Poll Results: Will you read Superior Spider-man

Voters
301. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

157 52.16%
  • No

144 47.84%
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    I've been reading and enjoying the book since BND, especially since Slott took over, I think his solo run will go down as one of the best ever. I just don't understand the mentality of dropping a book based on the description of an upcoming storyline. If you haven't been enjoying it, that's one thing, but if you have, why would you automatically assume something is going to be horrible before you read it?

Based on that mentality, we'd never have seen Bucky as Cap, the Young Avengers, Green Lantern Rebirth, and on and on.

Basically, it's the worst kind of fanboy entitlement whining. In one breath it's "Marvel never does anything new" and in the other its "I don't like the sound of this new and different type of story."

and look, if it's not for you, you're not interested, that's life sometimes, but Marvel isn't out "to get you" because they're doing a storyline you don't think you'll enjoy. that's just psychotic level paranoia
    The "fans want change" thought is one of the biggest myths in the history of comics. Fans (well, a large number of them) don't want change, they want the illusion of change.

With the advent of the internet its becoming more and more evident that a lot of fans don't really want any sort of meaningful change. In fact, I will go as far and say that some fans have made their feelings very,very clear that they don't want any sort of change (if opinions on these boards are anything to go by)

These days everthing is a "slap in the face of the fans" or "Marvel is trying to get rid of its fans" or "Marvel hates its fans" or some hyperbole. Heck, Marvel putting a banner in front of the comics has caused some fans to quit Marvel after X number of years according to some folk. I agree with Mr Wacker when he said that some people get offended by Marvel merely telling a story, yes, fans these days are soooo sensitive. It's pretty funny at times.

What I find genuinely disturbing though is the suggestion that Marvel and Slott was "provoking" its fans by simply promoting a storyline, in this case, the events of Amazing Spider-man 700. How and why Mr Slott's statements and Marvel's hype cause some fans to go experience existential crisis is well beyond me. It's really disturbing.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

I've been reading and enjoying the book since BND, especially since Slott took over, I think his solo run will go down as one of the best ever. I just don't understand the mentality of dropping a book based on the description of an upcoming storyline. If you haven't been enjoying it, that's one thing, but if you have, why would you automatically assume something is going to be horrible before you read it?

Based on that mentality, we'd never have seen Bucky as Cap, the Young Avengers, Green Lantern Rebirth, and on and on.

Basically, it's the worst kind of fanboy entitlement whining. In one breath it's "Marvel never does anything new" and in the other its "I don't like the sound of this new and different type of story."

and look, if it's not for you, you're not interested, that's life sometimes, but Marvel isn't out "to get you" because they're doing a storyline you don't think you'll enjoy. that's just psychotic level paranoia
    I absolutely agree with you on the last part. I definitely think the guys at Marvel are doing what they feel is a good story for Spider-Man. But it's just not for everyone. That I can accept. And I hope Superior will be for me too. But, as I've said before, I have a problem with Marvels attitude towards their readers.

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    I have a problem with Marvels attitude towards their readers.
    No, you have a problem with Wacker's attitude towards you. Wacker doesn't encompass all of Marvel, and you don't encompass the entire readership.
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    The "fans want change" thought is one of the biggest myths in the history of comics. Fans (well, a large number of them) don't want change, they want the illusion of change.

With the advent of the internet its becoming more and more evident that a lot of fans don't really want any sort of meaningful change. In fact, I will go as far and say that some fans have made their feelings very,very clear that they don't want any sort of change (if opinions on these boards are anything to go by)

These days everthing is a "slap in the face of the fans" or "Marvel is trying to get rid of its fans" or "Marvel hates its fans" or some hyperbole. Heck, Marvel putting a banner in front of the comics has caused some fans to quit Marvel after X number of years according to some folk. I agree with Mr Wacker when he said that some people get offended by Marvel merely telling a story, yes, fans these days are soooo sensitive. It's pretty funny at times.

What I find genuinely disturbing though is the suggestion that Marvel and Slott was "provoking" its fans by simply promoting a storyline, in this case, the events of Amazing Spider-man 700. How and why Mr Slott's statements and Marvel's hype cause some fans to go experience existential crisis is well beyond me. It's really disturbing.
    well, thankfully, I wholeheartedly believe that those whining on the internet represent a small percentage of the actual people buying comics. it has to be, or else nobody would be buying anything, since according to a majority of online "fans", everything is horrible
    Last edited by Ben Smith; 12-24-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: spelling

SW

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    For the foreseeable future, no.

I'll keep up with previews, summaries and reviews, and if it sounds worth getting back into it I will. Whether that's issue #2 or #23, time will tell.

pretty much this. I DID think about it for maybe 15 minutes, but went with Paul Pelletier on Aquaman instead. Dumped Captain Marvel and Hawkeye too. Rucka and Brubaker have more indie work coming, and Wood's Star Wars might be fun.
    Piers Morgan: another liberal douschebag bites the dust.
    Do us all a favor and mean it this time Mr. Baldwin.
    Tired of tolerating.

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    The only writer that I trust consistently is Bendis...
    then you have issues....
    Piers Morgan: another liberal douschebag bites the dust.
    Do us all a favor and mean it this time Mr. Baldwin.
    Tired of tolerating.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Heh..."regime". You crack me up with your never-ending, back breaking cries to the heavens.

After a while, it's like no one's even listening, ain't it?

SW
    For someone who isn't listening, you sure do manage to respond to every post I make.

Do you have an online notification that goes off whenever I post something somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Depends on how you define 'long-term', especially if Peter has to deal with the aftermath of his 'successor'. And during the entire thing, his place in the world has still yet to be revealed.

All I see is potential, man. But I suppose that's why I'll be reading it. Even if I didn't trust the current creative team, I'd still call it an interesting development. I just might not enjoy it as much.
    There's very little "interesting" stuff that can be done with this premise. The only question is how long they'll stretch it out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade 20x6 View Post
    There's very little "interesting" stuff that can be done with this premise. The only question is how long they'll stretch it out for.

I'm so glad we have you to be the arbiter of interesting things!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I'm so glad we have you to be the arbiter of interesting things!
    Some of us are less easily amused than others.

Some of us are less easily amused than others.
    Response Option 1: Some of us aren't as imaginative as others.

Response Option 2: I personally demand iambic pentameter and calligraphic lettering in my four-color funny books.

Take your pick.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

The fact that you can't think of anything interesting that can be done with this concept speaks more to you than it does to the ease of my amusement. I've stated over and over again how much I dislike replacement heroes. This has my curiousity piqued, but much depends on the execution. I'm a hard sell, especially as I haven't actually bought a Spidey book since I dropped it in the 90s.

I find this response exceptionally hilarious coming from someone with a Ben Reilly avatar

SW

I find this response exceptionally hilarious coming from someone with a Ben Reilly avatar
    You know, I didn't look at his avatar. That IS pretty awesome.

But maybe I'm just easily amused.

I don't know why you'd find that "hilarious."

I like legacy characters. If Marvel hadn't panicked, Ben Reilly might still be Spider-Man today. And I'd have no problem with that, because he entails what kind of person Spider-Man is supposed to be.

This new Spider-Man, however, does not.