View Poll Results: Will you read Superior Spider-man

Voters
301. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

157 52.16%
  • No

144 47.84%
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

From what I understand of the premise of Superior Spiderman, nope

No. I buy comics based on how much I look forward to the next issue. I always looked forward to reading about Peter, but since "Dying Wish" began I've not been interested. So I'm dropping Spider-Man along with Winter Soldier and Daredevil as soon as each one ends its current arc. It's not that I think they're bad quality, its just that I don't really wonder "What comes next!?" with them anymore.

When I finish reading my other pulls (X-Factor, Hawkeye, Avengers, and Arena) I immediately wish that the next issue was out, which to me justifies continuing to buy them as singles.

For everything else, I read the reviews and recaps, and decide where to go from there. Right now JiM is the main book I'm thinking of picking up in trade.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    The bold part isn't really true. The comics are made more for $$$ than for any love for fans or comics as art. Of course you have to make a living and there's no negative in that, but it's always amusing when corporate guys put out PR saying products are "for the customer" or whatever.
    Of course it's true, you're just confusing negativity with criticism. The things you are suggesting aren't mutually exclusive.

We make comics for "them" (our readers) in order to make money. Hopefully they like the books. If they do, then we make more of the ones that seem to be successful.

It's a pretty well worn method of success. Why do you deny it?

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shade 20x6 View Post
    It could be interesting as an arc, but not as a long-term status quo.

There's potential for a lot of damage to be done to these characters and personally, I don't trust the current Marvel regime not to do just that.
    Heh..."regime". You crack me up with your never-ending, back breaking cries to the heavens.

After a while, it's like no one's even listening, ain't it?

SW

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Not sure what's uninteresting about the idea. It can definitely produce some comic book drama.
    If it ends up being Ock in Peter's body which, unless there's some huge curveball in 700, seems to be the case, I just....for one thing, stories with people swapping bodies are usually kind of cheesy and cliche anyway, and more to the point, for me, Doc Ock just isn't an interesting character to me. The idea of a comic about Otto Octavius running around in Peter's body just seems sort of....underwhelming. He's just kind of an unlikable, gross guy. He's a decent enough villain, but I never in a million years would go, "You know what would be great? Let's get rid of Peter and make Otto the new Spider-Man!"

And like I said, maybe I'm wrong and it'll be cool. You never really know. I have nothing against Dan Slott as a person and I think the threats against him are reprehensible. He seems like a cool, sweet guy. I'm just so unenthused about this storyline.

There's potential for a lot of damage to be done to these characters and personally, I don't trust the current Marvel regime not to do just that.
    This. It's sort of like getting oxygen cut off to your brain and every second counts. And each issue of superior is like everyone of those seconds where oxygen is cut off. Just trying to process everything without knowing the out clause or the deux ex machina is freaking me out. Mary Jane, everything. It's like just to tell a story that will be meaningless in 5 years they are willing to cause damage that cannot be undone without permanently wrecking Peter Parker. I haven't read a single issue of superior but I will. But man like I said, each second counts here. Just how much is going to be Killed? Wacker please enlighten us.
    Cyclops was right.

I'm still puzzled over their choice of adjectives. Superior in relation to what other Spider-Men? Ultimate? 2099?
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Yep definitely on board for Superior. Enjoyed Dan's run so much so far don't see why I wouldn't see this storyline through.

Rain Soaked Misanthrope John Trenchfoot's Avatar

I'll definitely be reading.

If Ock is the new Spidey, I think that has some great potential for stories. Sure, not forever, but just imagine Spock squaring off against some of the rogues gallery. All of Peter Parker's memories of these guys, mixed with all of Ock's. I actually hope it lasts longer than just a few arcs.

I always thought that, post-Civil War, we could have had a longer run of stories where Parker's enemies knew who he was. He was re-masked too soon, I felt. So I hope this is given enough time to explore a few possibilities, that's all.

Oh, and psyched for Yost on Avenging!

As long as Yost doesn't leave Scarlet Spider!

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by refrax5 View Post
    If it ends up being Ock in Peter's body which, unless there's some huge curveball in 700, seems to be the case, I just....for one thing, stories with people swapping bodies are usually kind of cheesy and cliche anyway, and more to the point, for me, Doc Ock just isn't an interesting character to me. The idea of a comic about Otto Octavius running around in Peter's body just seems sort of....underwhelming. He's just kind of an unlikable, gross guy. He's a decent enough villain, but I never in a million years would go, "You know what would be great? Let's get rid of Peter and make Otto the new Spider-Man!"

And like I said, maybe I'm wrong and it'll be cool. You never really know. I have nothing against Dan Slott as a person and I think the threats against him are reprehensible. He seems like a cool, sweet guy. I'm just so unenthused about this storyline.
    I'd say it feels like the middle of a storyline. Yes, I've stated before that body-swapping is not my favorite thing. That said, it could be interesting if the person that does become Spider-Man starts off in a selfish place and can't help but move in a positive direction, perhaps because they realize they have that potential, and suddenly it's a race to try and remain the hero while Peter Parker is fighting for his imperfect place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightshrink View Post
    This. It's sort of like getting oxygen cut off to your brain and every second counts. And each issue of superior is like everyone of those seconds where oxygen is cut off. Just trying to process everything without knowing the out clause or the deux ex machina is freaking me out. Mary Jane, everything. It's like just to tell a story that will be meaningless in 5 years they are willing to cause damage that cannot be undone without permanently wrecking Peter Parker. I haven't read a single issue of superior but I will. But man like I said, each second counts here. Just how much is going to be Killed? Wacker please enlighten us.
    I think Mary Jane will be fine. She'll even be crucial to the story.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Depends on how you define 'long-term', especially if Peter has to deal with the aftermath of his 'successor'. And during the entire thing, his place in the world has still yet to be revealed.

All I see is potential, man. But I suppose that's why I'll be reading it. Even if I didn't trust the current creative team, I'd still call it an interesting development. I just might not enjoy it as much.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

I've been reading and enjoying the book since BND, especially since Slott took over, I think his solo run will go down as one of the best ever. I just don't understand the mentality of dropping a book based on the description of an upcoming storyline. If you haven't been enjoying it, that's one thing, but if you have, why would you automatically assume something is going to be horrible before you read it?

Based on that mentality, we'd never have seen Bucky as Cap, the Young Avengers, Green Lantern Rebirth, and on and on.

Basically, it's the worst kind of fanboy entitlement whining. In one breath it's "Marvel never does anything new" and in the other its "I don't like the sound of this new and different type of story."

and look, if it's not for you, you're not interested, that's life sometimes, but Marvel isn't out "to get you" because they're doing a storyline you don't think you'll enjoy. that's just psychotic level paranoia
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

I'm just worried that when Peter comes back he'll be back together with Mary Jane.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I'm just worried that when Peter comes back he'll be back together with Mary Jane.
    Quiet, don't give them any more silly ideas.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."