Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    We don't talk about that.

No one should talk about that.
    Unless they watch it's Abridged form. Then they should talk about it often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illidania
    Thanos, after working down a bag of pot, and chugging down one of Galactus' Cosmo Beers, started spouting off hysterical nonsense about destroying the multiverse with his mightpowers. Then, while holding up one of those rubber gloves you wear while doing dishes, slurring out that it's the Infinity Gauntlet, Squirrel girl pounces him to the ground where he passes out on the spot. Uatu then comes in and congratulates SG for saving the multiverse! :D

......oh wait, that actualy happened. :p

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I always thought he was kind of a douche either way.

"Screw due process I'm killing you all!"

Anyway, the good guys in Naruto don't have any problem with killing their opponents. And in Bleach it's only Ichigo who keeps away from killing the guys he fights.
    Yeah. What I mean is... whether you agree with kill-heavy vigilantism or not... I think Punisher deserves to be treated as more three dimensional and not as a tool for pro- or con- against killing criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    To be fair though..how many innocent people have died because a villain he didn't kill escaped prison? Granted it might not be his job to imprison them and keep them that way, but then again it technically isn't his job to fight villains in the first place.
    Well, it's also not really his right to play Judge, Jury and executioner either. Especially when he's still a vigilante in spite of his cooperation with the law, and people are still pretty damn nervous of the prospect of him taking the law into his hands, hence his adherence to the legal system unless it's unavoidable. Besides, one of his resources includes a extradimensional prison aka the Phantom Zone. If his government can't keep his rogue gallery imprisoned or they fail to rehabilitate, he has his own methods which wouldn't involve killing.

Now when it comes to extraterrestrial threats dedicated to homicide, slavery and totalitarism(*coughs*Darkseid*coughs* Dooms*coughs*Day*hack*), that tends to be a different case.

Really, the cardboard revolving door of Arkham Asylum is more to blame for Joker than Batman not killing him/letting him die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Silence View Post
    Really, the cardboard revolving door of Arkham Asylum is more to blame for Joker than Batman not killing him/letting him die.
    Honestly, when I saw this thread, Arkham Asylum was the first thing to come to mind. Most of its residents should have been executed ages ago.

Though, I'd blame the metaphysical laws of DC in general since death is a surprisingly less permanent and effective of a solution than straight up imprisonment.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Yeah. What I mean is... whether you agree with kill-heavy vigilantism or not... I think Punisher deserves to be treated as more three dimensional and not as a tool for pro- or con- against killing criminals.
    Yes, that is absolutely true. I guess that my dislike for mainly comes from... Garth Ennis written Punisher actually.

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Yes, that is absolutely true. I guess that my dislike for mainly comes from... Garth Ennis written Punisher actually.
    What's wrong with it?
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Honestly, when I saw this thread, Arkham Asylum was the first thing to come to mind. Most of its residents should have been executed ages ago.

Though, I'd blame the metaphysical laws of DC in general since death is a surprisingly less permanent and effective of a solution than straight up imprisonment.
    Well, I'd say, even if you grant that the society in DC America has outlawed the death penalty... there's still the fact that he keeps getting out.

Which brings us back to the meta reason why Joker is still alive. Because Joker makes for entertaining Batman stories. And that's just one of those things you have to accept in these comics.

I know that to a degree one should leave the meta reasons out of these discussions because that isn't the point. It's just something that one can pointed out, especially juxtaposed with earlier comics that didn't have the built up continuity and mythology and as such you see one-shot issue villains dying and even getting killed by the heroes more commonly, before the idea of "Rogues Galleries" were a thing.

Yeah. I just like the idea of Punisher because he is willing to kill specifically in a genre where most heroes have strict no-kill policies, and how he deals much more with street crime and really being a vigilante rather than being a superhero.

Not to necessary condone killing, but just because it is something different, and eclecticism is a wonderful thing.

Challenger of the Unknown Kirika's Avatar

Well, I'd say, even if you grant that the society in DC America has outlawed the death penalty... there's still the fact that he keeps getting out.

Which brings us back to the meta reason why Joker is still alive. Because Joker makes for entertaining Batman stories. And that's just one of those things you have to accept in these comics.

I know that to a degree one should leave the meta reasons out of these discussions because that isn't the point. It's just something that one can pointed out, especially juxtaposed with earlier comics that didn't have the built up continuity and mythology and as such you see one-shot issue villains dying and even getting killed by the heroes more commonly, before the idea of "Rogues Galleries" were a thing.
    To me it'd be easier to swallow if the reason the Joker isn't dead now would be that those that try, including Batman, kept failing. Joker being just that good at getting away with the stuff he pulls wouldn't be a problem if done well enough.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

here's how i'd kill the joker if i had the chance to.

The joker commits another of his schemes. batman catches him. as he's being lead away, a cop draws his gun and shoots him in the head. The cop is arrested. No pomp, no special attention, no last words. He just dies a completely ordinary death

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    here's how i'd kill the joker if i had the chance to.

The joker commits another of his schemes. batman catches him. as he's being lead away, a cop draws his gun and shoots him in the head. The cop is arrested. No pomp, no special attention, no last words. He just dies a completely ordinary death
    And then three months later, comes back as a lord of Hell, or a Black Lantern, or the next Spectre for some reason.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

Caim is unrealistic, just...in the opposite direction.

I mean, his solution to all problems is murder. And the reward for solving problems is also murder.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

I think we often use the word "realistic" wrong in this context. If a hero kills a villain because that's what this particular hero would realistically do in such a situation, then that is realistic. But if a hero has a realistic reason for refusing to kill a villain, then that's realistic too.

IOW, Batman not wanting to kill the Joker isn't unrealistic. The unrealistic part is that nobody ever gets around to killing the Joker.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck