Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bought this because I figured the Death tie in might be a good occasion to check in on how the books doing. And yep, still not something I'm interested in following and frankly I'm surprised it sells so well and am lost to what its general appeal is. To be fair the art is nice and it IS serviceably written in that it tells a story, hits beats and sets up situations etc, but damned if I can find one thing that's uniquely interesting or memorable about it or its characters. Best part was when Joker killed that guy for being a clown, cos it was actually kinda funny. Go Joker!

That's a pretty good way to look at it. It's technically sound as far as the writing and art goes, but there doesn't seem to be much of a clear direction for it.

Personally I think some time off the bat events would be good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Bought this because I figured the Death tie in might be a good occasion to check in on how the books doing. And yep, still not something I'm interested in following and frankly I'm surprised it sells so well and am lost to what its general appeal is. To be fair the art is nice and it IS serviceably written in that it tells a story, hits beats and sets up situations etc, but damned if I can find one thing that's uniquely interesting or memorable about it or its characters. Best part was when Joker killed that guy for being a clown, cos it was actually kinda funny. Go Joker!
    This was pretty much my reaction too.
    I had dropped the book forever ago but I liked the NOTO tie-in so I thought I'd give this a shot but it's still frustratingly mediocre. :/

Also-- Was anyone else bothered by how he just ran off and left Raya's body on the ground with her shirt ripped open?
    Last edited by minasithil; 12-19-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Pfffft. Dick Grayson trying to build something up is interesting. Dick Grayson having everything he builds up burnt down every six months by whoever's fighting Batman at the time? That's not interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Pfffft. Dick Grayson trying to build something up is interesting. Dick Grayson having everything he builds up burnt down every six months by whoever's fighting Batman at the time? That's not interesting.
    The only way the amusement mile storyline could end was with Dick losing everything, the whole thing was set up to deal with him having nothing it's why I didn't like the set up it's to obvious.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, asshole

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lotus View Post
    The only way the amusement mile storyline could end was with Dick losing everything, the whole thing was set up to deal with him having nothing it's why I didn't like the set up it's to obvious.
    Really? I didn't see it that way, although I could just not be paying attention. Why is it that Dick establishing himself in gotham in a big way can only end with him losing it all? I'm not disagreeing with you, since it's unsurprising, but its no less frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    Really? I didn't see it that way, although I could just not be paying attention. Why is it that Dick establishing himself in gotham in a big way can only end with him losing it all? I'm not disagreeing with you, since it's unsurprising, but its no less frustrating.
    The main reason I saw it like that was because they made a point in telling us how Dick had to put everything he had in Amusement mile and that he didn't go to Bruce for help with founding it. Anytime a character is putting all their money in some project that character ends up losing all of their money. See this is why I wasn't a fan of the whole amusement mile plot. To me the whole plot feels like one that is designed to have Grayson fail and then having to deal with that failure. That failure will set up his new status quo as him having money problems and how that affects him as Nightwing and how he wont go to Bruce for help.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, asshole

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her

It's the only way it was *going* to end, yes. And that's what wrong with the writing on this title.

The main reason I saw it like that was because they made a point in telling us how Dick had to put everything he had in Amusement mile and that he didn't go to Bruce for help with founding it. Anytime a character is putting all their money in some project that character ends up losing all of their money. See this is why I wasn't a fan of the whole amusement mile plot. To me the whole plot feels like one that is designed to have Grayson fail and then having to deal with that failure. That failure will set up his new status quo as him having money problems and how that affects him as Nightwing and how he wont go to Bruce for help.
    I assume the next arc will involve him getting a job at the gotham gazette as a photographer? Ugh.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Not bad, Barrows definitely brought his A game. Thought the story's pacing was kind of weird at times though.

Also is it just me, or has Joke been reading the message boards lol. Couldn't help but laugh when the Joker criticized Nightwing for being too serious this past year. He' might be crazy, but he's not wrong. Wouldn't kill them to make Dick a little less serious and a little more chillaxed and easygoing. To me, thats when Dick is at his best.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-19-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Its Nightwing, the appeal is Nightwing. People generally like the character. Which is kind of why he can get away with being just serviceably written and drawn, unfortunately. They said a "bold new direction" is coming after DotF though, and i really hope thats true because the title could certainly use some bold and new.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-19-2012 at 03:18 PM.

i hope new and bold means it's no longer 'diet batman'

do you guys think bludhaven is still blown to bits?
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
    Yes, blown to bits and buried.

It was a very good issue. The art was great and it is nice to see Barrows really step it up in his last two issues. Even though it is a tie-in I like that there are going to be major consequences to the Joker showing up, unlike some of the other tie-ins, and it is what you'd expect to from a story like this. Dark, creepy and very heavy. Plus I was never that high on most of Nightwing's supporting characters so I am not that sad about loosing some of them.

My big complaint is that in the end after everything the Joker has done to Nightwing it is going to be Batman that is going to "defeat" him in the end. So Nightwing isn't going to give him his proper comeuppance, a lot of it is for naught, but that is to be expected. This isn't Nightwing's story even though a year ago he defeated the Joker himself, but all that seems inconsequential now. Plus I think I have an idea of the "new" direction the title is going to go in after this event and I am not all that interested in it. I'm just repeating myself at this point but they went to so much trouble to reboot their entire universe and make it more open and Nightwing is about as isolated as he has ever been. It's just so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
    I doubt it, but it doesn't matter since there is an embargo on mentioning any of Dick's history and so we will never know. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Plus I think I have an idea of the "new" direction the title is going to go in after this event and I am not all that interested in it.
    Well, don't leave us hanging. What do u think the "new" direction the title is going to go in after this event gonna be?