Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: JSA Liberty Files: The Whistling Skull #1

• A new series from acclaimed creators B. Clay Moore (Hawaiian Dick) and Tony Harris (EX MACHINA, STARMAN)!
    • In 1940s Europe, the Nazi war machine is on the move...but crimes are still committed in even the smallest hamlets. Can one heroic duo solve the most bizarre mystery of all?
    • From the world of the JSA: THE LIBERTY FILES, witness the birth of a new hero for the ages!

Full preview here.

Whistling Skull is a good-guy?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

From what I understand this story was created for a different imprint that went under, so they re-jiggered it to fit in the JSA as the supporting cast. I don't know if his skull actually whistles or not.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

I have no idea what's going on there or who any of those characters are, but I like the art. May have to check this issue out.
    If you're not reading Unwritten you should be.

Does this take place in the old DCU continuity rather then in the DCnU?

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Can't wait for this!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Does this take place in the old DCU continuity rather then in the DCnU?
    Seems it would have to be old continuity but if its really another project given a JSA skin then it probably doesn't fit there either. I decided to skip it myself.

I would prefer the Whistling Skull comics to use the new 52 Earth 2 JSA who fought Grundy in America instead of the old WW2 era JSA because the new JSA is so much more marketable. It doesn't look like this JSA will make a lot of money for DC.

Quote Originally Posted by tunneler View Post
    I would prefer the Whistling Skull comics to use the new 52 Earth 2 JSA who fought Grundy in America instead of the old WW2 era JSA because the new JSA is so much more marketable. It doesn't look like this JSA will make a lot of money for DC.
    It takes place in its own continuity, which it shares with the JSA LIBERTY FILES books.

Yeah. He's a good guy. He's a brand new character. In a DC book.

-BCM
    ---------------------------------
    B. Clay Moore
    writes

B. Clay Moore Bloggery

Quote Originally Posted by B Clay Moore View Post
    It takes place in its own continuity, which it shares with the JSA LIBERTY FILES books.

Yeah. He's a good guy. He's a brand new character. In a DC book.

-BCM
    Thanks for the info. I was really hoping it would be part of the DC universe that I knew and loved. :(

BANNED

I believe the Whistling Skull is a secret agent, not a villain.

Either way, the story seems a bit odd at a glance. May be deriving a bit from Hellboy.

Wow. Didn't read a word but this is the coolest looking thing I've seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was really hoping it would be part of the DC universe that I knew and loved. :(
    Liberty Files is an Elseworlds universe. It was never part of the main DCU.

Folks,

Does it really matter if this book isn't in current DCNew continuity or old DC continuity, or if it features WW2 JSA or New52 JSA? Can't it just stand or fall on it's own merits?

I don't understand this reluctance to read something that doesn't fit the mold (or at least the mold-du-jour). People should be glad there's another book on the stands who's art rivals that of JH Williams' Batwoman, Manapul's Flash and Chiang's WW work, which in my opinion are the only DC books that don't make my eyes bleed.
    Last edited by Kevin J; 12-19-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    If this were the gospel truth, your bushes would be on fire. - Warren Ellis

Current Faves: Flash, WW, Batman, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Hellboy, X-Men, Conan The Barbarian, Saga, It-Girl

Was that WildCat? And did he die? :(

You know, I'm not a big JSA fan, but this looks great. To me, it looks better than any Earth 2 version or the previous continuity version, because it takes place where the JSA work best -- the '40s.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor