View Poll Results: Is Amazing Apider-man #700 going to be your Jumping off point?

Voters
235. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

71 30.21%
  • No

95 40.43%
  • I'll play it by ear Depending on how Superior Spider-man is

69 29.36%
Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurmudgeonComics View Post
    Yes, I'm dropping it. Already cut my orders for Superior Spider-Man #2 by 75%. Wish I could cut our orders for issue #1 by as much, but it's after the cut off date.
    HA! Can you imagine?

SW

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    Yea, Geoff saved DC... Brilliant, that one...
    Actually there a lot of back lash from the people that grew up with kyle as GL.

Some speculate that the non comic book General Population of the targeted demogathic did not go see the GL movie because they grew up watching This guy as GL

Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Comic fans can be a dreary bunch. To make armchair assumptions about how long a change will last is a pointless waste of time. Who cares how long it'll last? Why not just follow the story as it comes out rather than cynically speculate about it ahead of time? I loved the return of Bucky, the death of Cap, and Bucky's tenure as Cap. Yes, I expected that eventually the status quo would return but it didn't diminsh my enjoyment of a storyline that was engaging.

I've been reading Spidey for many, many years from back in Conway's ASM days. I'm very invested in Peter Parker and his journey but I'm also game to be thrown a curveball and see a different take on Spidey. I'm excited by what I've seen and heard so far and I'm glad Slott and Marvel are taking a chance on SSM. If I give it a shot and don't like it, oh well. I'll drop back in at another point down the road and see if it appeals to me more. So many comic fans complain endlessly about how predictable comics are and come off as so jaded about everything but yet they greet any deviation from the norm as the end of the world.
    Well being for deviation for deviatons sake is just as silly as being just for predicable comics.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Pretty spot on. Well said.

I do love the faux outrage and feigned "WHY are they trying to entertain me?!?!? RARRH!!!" dramatics though.

SW
    I think what Steve and Prof. Warren are missing is the big reason for the fan outrage... It wasn't something gradual, it was a two/three issue deal where Peter was basically destroyed and tossed aside like dirty laundry... I'm planning on checking in next year to see where things stand with Spidey because that's what I feel I need to do. Is it making me walk away from Marvel? Not at all. I'm just walking away from things related to Superior. His appearance in Daredevil was enough to seal that deal... Spidey means a lot to me, and I'll definitely keep going back and reading the old stories, because he means a lot to me... We've seen a bunch of different takes on Spidey already, and it took almost ten years for it to finally be definitively one person under the mask again... I'm not even talking about spoilers, but the actual previews that have been put up... The preview pages were enough to make me not like it, so I'm going to respectfully walk away from that particular title and stand by, hoping there's some change in the next year... I hope that I pull in from next deployment and see that somehow, Peter is miraculously back...

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    Actually there a lot of back lash from the people that grew up with kyle as GL.

Some speculate that the non comic book General Population of the targeted demogathic did not go see the GL movie because they grew up watching This guy as GL

I knew a lot of people that went to see it, but weren't outraged, but really confused... A lot of my non-comic reading friends kept asking me about it, so I explained that there's more than one green lantern...

Veteran Member

I think what Steve and Prof. Warren are missing is the big reason for the fan outrage... It wasn't something gradual, it was a two/three issue deal where Peter was basically destroyed and tossed aside like dirty laundry... I'm planning on checking in next year to see where things stand with Spidey because that's what I feel I need to do. Is it making me walk away from Marvel? Not at all. I'm just walking away from things related to Superior. His appearance in Daredevil was enough to seal that deal... Spidey means a lot to me, and I'll definitely keep going back and reading the old stories, because he means a lot to me... We've seen a bunch of different takes on Spidey already, and it took almost ten years for it to finally be definitively one person under the mask again... I'm not even talking about spoilers, but the actual previews that have been put up... The preview pages were enough to make me not like it, so I'm going to respectfully walk away from that particular title and stand by, hoping there's some change in the next year... I hope that I pull in from next deployment and see that somehow, Peter is miraculously back...
    I'm not missing a thing. I just think your memory is selective.

This outrage has very little to do with the comics we publish or the stories in them. It springs up when ever we announce anything. A month ago this time, there was something else that was going to ruin comics forever. Next month it'll be something else.

I just like to take advantage of that to sell our stories.

If you read the book and don't like it, I have no issue with you walking away. Sounds healthy.

SW

Yeah how dare someone take over the title charecter legacy!!1

You never seen it ihappen to Thor, Cap, Iron Man, nick Fury, or Chuck!
    Cyclops ad portas

I knew a lot of people that went to see it, but weren't outraged, but really confused... A lot of my non-comic reading friends kept asking me about it, so I explained that there's more than one green lantern...

and When I told them the history of Gl and the Tokkenism of using John in JLU

they siad

"well that's stupid. "
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by charlesthehammer View Post
    Well being for deviation for deviatons sake is just as silly as being just for predicable comics.
    Any change from the norm could be accused as being change for change's sake. Comic fans always go into default freak out mode whenever something shakes up one of their favorite titles. If writers have a story that they believe in, they should tell it.

Any change from the norm could be accused as being change for change's sake. Comic fans always go into default freak out mode whenever something shakes up one of their favorite titles. If writers have a story that they believe in, they should tell it.
    They should, but that does not mean fans have to like or approve of it. They don't even need to read it either, as concepts are usually enough to make some sort of judgment. Unless you disagree with that idea, in which case, I will assume you have read every comic book ever published. Well at least one issue.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    I'm not missing a thing. I just think your memory is selective.

This outrage has very little to do with the comics we publish or the stories in them. It springs up when ever we announce anything. A month ago this time, there was something else that was going to ruin comics forever. Next month it'll be something else.

I just like to take advantage of that to sell our stories.

If you read the book and don't like it, I have no issue with you walking away. Sounds healthy.

SW
    I respectfully disagree... This isn't the only board that I've gone to, where one of us fans who's stuck with Marvel for a while, is jaded because of the way that Peter Parker just got kinda tossed aside in barely two pages... Am I saying that it's going to ruin comics forever? Not at all... Maybe people (probably besides myself) will dig Superior, and it'll knock everything out of the ballpark. I'm not trying to insult the way you do business, just a particular occurrence where (to quote Jeff Bridges in Iron Man) it was like: "Ready, Aim, FIRE!", and two pages later, Peter was basically gone...
    I know that not every reader is going to like stuff that you put out, but I really, wholeheartedly believe that it's not even really that someone else is Spider-Man, but that the method that you guys chose to go about it was just... almost an insult to the character that we've grown to love...
    Do I like Marvel? Hell yes, and I'll keep reading Marvel comics until I'm in the ground... It sounds like you're a little jaded, probably because of having to deal with fanboys that send the flames of hell your way whenever you do anything, but I'm not trying to do that. I'm speaking just as someone who grew up with this stuff, and still has a love affair with Marvel as an adult... I get you made a choice, but I guess I wish that you would have done it more gradually or in a different manner that could have produced the results that you wanted... I really, really hope that Scarlet Spider sticks around for a bit. Like I said, I'm still a fan of Marvel, and always will be, just sticking with different titles for the recent time... If you can, would you please tell the guys over at Scarlet Spider that they're knocking it out of the park? Thanks!

I think what Steve and Prof. Warren are missing is the big reason for the fan outrage... It wasn't something gradual, it was a two/three issue deal where Peter was basically destroyed and tossed aside like dirty laundry...
    This is a change that has been in the works for some time, not just a sudden development. And before we assume that Peter is simply being chucked aside, let's at least see how SSM #1 plays out. Even if Peter isn't Spidey, it might not be as dire as some are speculating.

This is a change that has been in the works for some time, not just a sudden development. And before we assume that Peter is simply being chucked aside, let's at least see how SSM #1 plays out. Even if Peter isn't Spidey, it might not be as dire as some are speculating.
    It may have been in development for a while, but the actual switch seemed to happen in a page or two. It was craziness... I read the previews, and they were enough for me to decide that I can't do Superior. I'm sorry, I just can't.

But Spider-Man has been bad for awhile and this is just the last straw.

Marvel has some great comics like Hawkeye but Spider-Man has been getting consistently worst.

I kind of agree... There's a reason that I switched to Scarlet Spider...